Golden Sun Hacking Community
May 25, 2018, 02:56:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 1494 times)

New User

Coins: 0

« on: November 19, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »

Umm.... i'm new here (duh...)
i'm.... a returning golden sun fan,
i've played it since i'm still a kid,
in fact golden sun is my first RPG game  Happy

i almost stopped becuse of dark dawn  Sad
it's not as good as the other two, i think
and also leave us with a cliffhanger

but, my friend tell that there are golden sun hacks around,
i googled and found this forum.

i'm not a hacker yet, but i'm interested to try, any suggestion where i should start?
maybe a explanation thread or something

Thanks, and... have a nice day  Happy
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:08:44 AM by Hayashida » Logged

*Now Playing.....*
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »

Welcome newbie! To the most powerful Golden Sun in the world. I would ask not to stare at the sun for too long, since it can do evil things to you,... but here at Golden Sun Hacking Community, we encourage everyone to stare at it all they want!  So please do!  Let it brainwash you into the most beautiful dreams you'll ever have!  It is this awesome power we have discovered here! (And it will also keep you from forgetting about this place, should that ever be a problem. *wink*)

Dark Dawn. Ew... I think someone stared at the wrong side of the sun too long.

You should start with............. ARM ASSEMBLY!!! Naw, I kid, that could be one of the last things you'd need to learn, sine the GBA games are mostly Thumb. But it is still useful to know.

Where to start? It depends on what you want to do, since not everyone would want to start with the same thing. (I assume.)
I want to recommend Caledor's hacks, though I still have not tried them yet.

---
I could say what got me started....

What got me started with hex hacking, I mean... It was VBA's memory viewer reveals in the debug menus topic around July 7th, 2009.
I remember in the days I didn't know how to do these things (Prior to that date/before I knew about hex editors.), that I really wanted some sort of guide... to explain how the editor was even capable of editing a ROM... But I already know now... (For so long.) ... And so, I eventually came to a point to fulfill a duty (Well, optional), to make these documentations in my signature. (GS2 = Main document.) Where I try to document what's in a ROM.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:48:25 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

New User

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »

Sure. I'll stare at the sun, until i absorb it power one day.

Where i want to start?
Umm.... That's difficult....
Hmm.... How about you tell me what tools you use to hack this game other than the editor? It would be a big help Happy

Because that way, i can decide which one is the easiest for myself.

Thanks in advance

*Now Playing.....*
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »

Sure. I'll stare at the sun, until i absorb it power one day.
The sun has the power to make you go blind should you disrespect it, so be careful! Although, it does like to be looked at in all its glory. (Kind of like bowing to a King or Queen.)

A rough list is something like this.
-VBA's Tools (Memory Viewer/etc.)
-Could get a hex editor like hxd, though it is optional if you choose to save the ROM section in VBA's memory viewer and do it that way.)
-GBATEK (For documentation of the handheld.)
-A debugger such as SDL-H or no$gba debugger (The no$ one may require BIOS files to properly work at times.)
-My Docs (So we don't have to learn what's already known.)
-Some assembly knowledge strongly recommended if wanting to maximize your hacking potential. (GBATEK has info on the assembly instructions, but it's really best if you use it next to a debugger, since it'll likely be more confusing for a novice otherwise. My opinion.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:26:12 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

New User

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

I know. I won't make the mistake similar to our villain alex did.

Thanks for the list.
I'll start to search,
and try to learn it right away Happy

*Now Playing.....*
View Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
May 09, 2018, 12:35:37 AM
KyleRunner: The "Start In" field is not editable... I'll try making new shortcuts
May 08, 2018, 09:51:08 PM
Fox: If all else fails, you canmake new Shortcuts to do the same thing.
May 08, 2018, 09:49:53 PM
Fox: Export Properties > Shortcut (Tab) > Target / Start In ; Target (for Export) should be: (filename) 0 , and for Import: (filename) 1
May 08, 2018, 08:52:00 PM
KyleRunner: I can't change the path in properties menu...
May 08, 2018, 01:27:19 AM
Fox: You may need to edit something in properties, though... so it uses the exe file in the same directory.
May 08, 2018, 01:24:59 AM
Fox: It is suppose to be a shortcut, yes.
May 03, 2018, 11:48:05 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, the "export" function in your text editor is just a shortcut... Could you please fix it?
May 02, 2018, 09:53:45 PM
KyleRunner: I come here everyday. I'm working on a Portuguese translation, and the people here help me a lot.
May 02, 2018, 08:56:07 AM
Drake baku: My feel as well, I posted a little as well since my return, but silence was all that followed... At least the forum is a great source for data when hacking GS/ GS2, currently looking for something I have read a long time ago cause my PP recovery psy is not working
May 01, 2018, 09:58:04 AM
Fox: I am thinking a lot of this might be because of Discord?
May 01, 2018, 09:56:08 AM
Fox: Yeah, this forum is more dead than ever before.  February and April have 0 new topics. (All other months prior have more.) And March has lowest number of new posts. (It'd be dumb to count the very first month this site was created.)
April 25, 2018, 09:02:13 PM
Fox: Yes. The best tool is a hex editor. Well.... VBA, VBA-SDL-H, no$gba Debugger, GBATEK, and my documentation.... to use these to learn how the code/data works. Best method because it maximizes your editing ability... and then there is my program gsmagic that I was working on. Still in its early stages, though. (Even after year(s).)
April 25, 2018, 04:21:58 PM
Xendrox D: *exept tla editor.
April 25, 2018, 04:21:29 PM
Xendrox D: is there any other tool for hacking gs?
April 23, 2018, 09:26:27 PM
Atrius: Rarely, but not never.
April 23, 2018, 08:01:48 AM
Drake baku: Can it be, the god who created the editor, atrius. I heard you never came back online here anymore
April 20, 2018, 02:46:36 PM
KyleRunner: Atrius!!
April 19, 2018, 11:29:46 PM
Atrius: @Fox, I tried, but for some reason Mario Golf won't boot, and Mario Tennis crashes when you patch out the text compression, and I'm not sure why...  The normal text loading functions in them are basically the same as the ones in the Golden Sun games.
April 16, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Drake baku: So it took about halve a hour of letting my lap stay off for it to suddenly work again
April 16, 2018, 07:31:28 AM
Drake baku: All of a sudden fox his editor gets errors. When trying to start it, thing worked fine yesterday...

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise