News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Hello...

Started by Hayashida, 19, November, 2017, 03:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayashida

Umm.... i'm new here (duh...)
i'm.... a returning golden sun fan,
i've played it since i'm still a kid,
in fact golden sun is my first RPG game  :happy:

i almost stopped becuse of dark dawn  :sad:
it's not as good as the other two, i think
and also leave us with a cliffhanger

but, my friend tell that there are golden sun hacks around,
i googled and found this forum.

i'm not a hacker yet, but i'm interested to try, any suggestion where i should start?
maybe a explanation thread or something

Thanks, and... have a nice day  :happy:
*Now Playing.....*

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Welcome newbie! To the most powerful Golden Sun in the world. I would ask not to stare at the sun for too long, since it can do evil things to you,... but here at Golden Sun Hacking Community, we encourage everyone to stare at it all they want!  So please do!  Let it brainwash you into the most beautiful dreams you'll ever have!  It is this awesome power we have discovered here! (And it will also keep you from forgetting about this place, should that ever be a problem. *wink*)

Dark Dawn. Ew... I think someone stared at the wrong side of the sun too long.

You should start with............. ARM ASSEMBLY!!! Naw, I kid, that could be one of the last things you'd need to learn, sine the GBA games are mostly Thumb. But it is still useful to know.

Where to start? It depends on what you want to do, since not everyone would want to start with the same thing. (I assume.)
I want to recommend Caledor's hacks, though I still have not tried them yet.

---
I could say what got me started....

What got me started with hex hacking, I mean... It was VBA's memory viewer reveals in the debug menus topic around July 7th, 2009.
I remember in the days I didn't know how to do these things (Prior to that date/before I knew about hex editors.), that I really wanted some sort of guide... to explain how the editor was even capable of editing a ROM... But I already know now... (For so long.) ... And so, I eventually came to a point to fulfill a duty (Well, optional), to make these documentations in my signature. (GS2 = Main document.) Where I try to document what's in a ROM.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Hayashida

Sure. I'll stare at the sun, until i absorb it power one day.

Where i want to start?
Umm.... That's difficult....
Hmm.... How about you tell me what tools you use to hack this game other than the editor? It would be a big help :happy:

Because that way, i can decide which one is the easiest for myself.

Thanks in advance
*Now Playing.....*

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteSure. I'll stare at the sun, until i absorb it power one day.
The sun has the power to make you go blind should you disrespect it, so be careful! Although, it does like to be looked at in all its glory. (Kind of like bowing to a King or Queen.)

A rough list is something like this.
-VBA's Tools (Memory Viewer/etc.)
-Could get a hex editor like hxd, though it is optional if you choose to save the ROM section in VBA's memory viewer and do it that way.)
-GBATEK (For documentation of the handheld.)
-A debugger such as SDL-H or no$gba debugger (The no$ one may require BIOS files to properly work at times.)
-My Docs (So we don't have to learn what's already known.)
-Some assembly knowledge strongly recommended if wanting to maximize your hacking potential. (GBATEK has info on the assembly instructions, but it's really best if you use it next to a debugger, since it'll likely be more confusing for a novice otherwise. My opinion.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Hayashida

I know. I won't make the mistake similar to our villain alex did.

Thanks for the list.
I'll start to search,
and try to learn it right away :happy:
*Now Playing.....*