Golden Sun Hacking Community
October 17, 2018, 05:52:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passive abilities  (Read 150 times)

New User

Coins: 1

« on: September 03, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »

So I've been lurking the hacking section for a while and I had an idea for a feature that no one has implemented it yet. Note that it absolutely requires ASM but most cool things do.

Passive abilities. Golden Sun's engine might seem too simple to have these, but Pokemon is a simple game and they made it work. The obvious downside is that every passive would require additional checks and routines strewn throughout the formulas.

But I think adding some basic passives to the classes like "auto-cast Impair once per battle" or "take half damage from fire/Mars" or "recover faster from ailments" would make the classes feel more fleshed out.

Right now classes only really matter for what your favorite animations are. If a certain class was better for grinding whereas another is better for bosses, the situational nature of passives could encourage more strategy.

As for display, it could just replace status on the menu. Most players already know they're poisoned or w/e...we were there when it happened. Instead of checking status it could check class and display the appropriate passive instead of the usual, mildly annoying "Enemies gave you syphilis...again." Or it could be added just underneath that maybe? But that's harder.

Anyway...I don't really know if I'll pursue this since stringing opcodes together on my slow laptop is a headache, but I thought I'd mention it as a possibility. Adding a few more checks and branches is relatively easy compared to big stuff like custom maps complete with event scripts, warps, and encounter data. Kind of a lazy way to make the game feel new.

* Jenna_3.jpg (16.27 KB, 240x160 - viewed 36 times.)
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:09:00 PM »

Welcome to the forums! Still great to see that people are attracted to this place, even though there is little activity.

I think your idea is not half as bad as you make it sound.
There can be quite a lot of interesting passive abilities and it would make classes more unique.
...though I do not agree with the notion that classes are not already quite specific in uses.
Even excluding Item Classes, most classes have something unique and not just 'different animations'.
Look at Guard-class series vs. Ninja class series. The stats are completely different, Ninja has multiple types of psy while Guardian only has one. Ninja has superior stats and versatility, but Guardian has an obvious extreme Mars relation that could be usefull in summoning.

But anyway, I like the idea. Guardian could have a passive that lessens damage to the whole party and Ninja might have an effect that causes more battles to open with preemptive strike.

As for the implementation, I doubt it is very easy. I dunno what tools we have right now (not much at any rate) and tinkering the battle functions makes repointing huge chunks of the ROM necessary, unless there is some backdoor trick.
Im no expert on GS hacking and know only a bit of GBA assembly, but while doable, it seems rather tricky.
If I ever press on making a fangame... I would like to incoporate this idea though.

Also, you seem to have some GBA assembling knowledge as well? Or did I misunderstood that part?

"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"
View Profile

New User

Coins: 1

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »

I'm no wizard but I understand the basics. Pretty sure I could implement a few simple passives myself with more free time but since my days off are disgustingly rare I don't get to tinker much. Right now I'm just bringing it up in case people haven't already considered it.

Imagine a caster class that regens (1pp*set djinn) per turn. After applying equipment it would allow for a psynergy spamming build that opts not to summon rush for more casting power. There are limitless cool and quirky possibilities for passives so I just wanted to point out the potential.
View Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
October 13, 2018, 03:23:06 AM
Salanewt: Updated it to provide more info that I forgot to mention.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:48 AM
Salanewt: I'm still trying to iron out IQ 2 but I'm pretty sure it's entirely random targeting.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:29 AM
Salanewt: Oh yeah, I posted some more info about enemy IQ.
October 12, 2018, 09:51:27 PM
FoxThe HTML5 project is too small to count
October 12, 2018, 06:19:48 AM
Luna_blade: there is jjppof's html5 project...
October 12, 2018, 06:19:17 AM
Luna_blade: Though Momo rings a bell it seems I came here after you left
October 11, 2018, 12:49:41 AM
Fox: (If that makes sense.)
October 11, 2018, 12:48:33 AM
Fox: Yeah, I guess so.  More just saying that's a good place to get answers to GS related questions at the moment.
October 11, 2018, 12:42:28 AM
Crystal Sonata: I did before, but I guess I could try it again
October 11, 2018, 12:41:32 AM
Fox: Not much at the moment. This forum seems pretty quiet. Perhaps you'd be interested in joining the Discord for GSHC that seems to have more activity?
October 10, 2018, 11:16:53 PM
Crystal Sonata: Any projects going on? I need a distraction from the daily grind and I'm interested in hacking GS again.
October 10, 2018, 10:02:53 PM
Fox: Thanks, and good to see you too!
October 10, 2018, 10:02:10 PM
Fox: A few people I'm sure... Most likely the regulars of the past. Such as Atrius, Charon, Role, Salanewt....
October 10, 2018, 03:11:17 AM
Crystal Sonata: I find myself wondering who still remembers me here. Obvs you do (Good to see ya Tea)
October 10, 2018, 12:46:11 AM
Fox: On second thought, it might be because you haven't posted much as Crystal Sonata.
October 10, 2018, 12:41:12 AM
Fox: And your intro isn't that bad. - I imagine most people would say the same about theirs?
October 10, 2018, 12:39:39 AM
Fox: :O - You've been gone so long, I think I forgot you were Momo.  Interesting.
October 09, 2018, 10:23:39 PM
Crystal Sonata: I just revisited my dark past on here and ouch. Someone delete that introduction thread please, the cringe.
October 09, 2018, 08:26:11 AM
Crystal Sonata: Aaaaand, she re-appears yet again. My life keeps dragging me away from the internet sadly.
October 01, 2018, 01:27:50 PM
Luna_blade: haha oof.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise