News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

The Golden Age - Golden Sun in Minecraft

Started by Flaw, 17, September, 2018, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaw

Hi all!

I want to present to you the Golden Sun fan project which I'm currently working on, for now named "The Golden Age" (now TGA).
The basic goal is to combine Golden Sun and Minecraft, while not only rebuilding the world of Weyard,
but also adding gameplay mechanics which are similar to those from the game and also adding other features to make the multiplayer sandbox setting really thrive.

The project is currently set after the events of GS:TLA, meaning all lighthouses are lit and the world is recovering for now.
Furthermore psynergy is now available at large (especially to you, the player). That's

From now on I will hopefully regularly post an introduction to the several already implemented mechanics, planned features etc. etc.
The project is actually in a really advanced state already and some kind of alpha is close. Don't think that just because there are only a few posts here yet, that this is it already :!:

By the way: To release our first alpha version, we are looking for both contributors and also people who are simply interested in the project to increase the motivation, get more suggestions and feedback.

Just join the discord via https://discord.gg/mHfNdNp

These are the departments for which your help would be especially helpful:

• Further developing the mods
  • Building the Weyard landscape and towns
  • Modelling/texturizing new mobs, npcs, weapons, armor and blocks
  • Organizing sounds (so we can enjoy the actual themes at the correct places)
  • Playtesters to make sure mobs and items are properly balanced

Flaw

Character System: Attributes

First things first: One of the cornerstones of TGA is our character system, as seen in the screenshot below. Just like in the original game, you have a level, different attributes, psynergy points and a class (Warrior, I will explain more of that later).
In TGA there are currently seven attributes which you can increase with every level at your own choice. The general formula is currently: 1 level = 2 attribute points

Beyond the basic info you can also have an own portrait, which defaults to your race/ethnicity as of course not every player can have a distinct portrait (unless you make one for yourself).
Your race/ethnicity can be chosen at the start of your journey and offers some additional flavor to give your character a bit of a background.
Each race also has a set of attribute bonuses for differentiation against other races.
The title is part of our nation/town system (more about that later) to have some clout flavor for your character, basically the more powerful you are, the higher your title is.
Hopefully people will look up to you, just like you look up to Lord McCoy (from Bilibin)  :sad:.

Screenshot removed  :JupiterSet:

Here is the list of our current attributes:

• Vitality: determines your HP
  • Strength: determines your base damage
  • Dexterity: determines your chance to dodge an attack (it will probably be renamed to Agility)
  • Precision: determines your chance to strike critically
  • Defense: determines your base armor
  • Intelligence: determines your PP
  • Luck: currently no use; it will probably be used for a chance to get more loot from a treasury chest

Flaw

Djinns

Djinns are a very neat and distinct feature in the original games and as such adding Djinns to TGA was one of the first things we did to really capture the GS nostalgia. In the middle of the screenshot you can see our Djinn bar and an example djinn with info about the attributes it gives you. Furthermore the Djinns are actually visible on your shoulders :heart:. In TGA named Djinns will be very rare and really display a token of prestige.

Later there will be unnamed djinns who will be slightly weaker and not unique. They will just take the default textures  :VenusSet: :MarsSet: :JupiterSet: :MercurySet:. How you can actually retrieve the Djinns is not yet determined.

Flaw

NPCs and their dialogue

NPC dialogue is a big part of Golden Sun and as such we want to incorporate as much of it as possible in TGA. While we can't really leverage it as a story vehicle (that's not our goal, Minecraft sucks at story), it can still convey some lore about the world you are in and have some actual gameplay use (like stores). In my opinion it really adds another Golden Sun atmosphere level to our world. To achieve that, we are adding many NPCs from the original games, giving them mostly new dialogue and sometimes place them in a new setting.

For example this is Piers, who has been mistaken as Alex and is now in prison (again  :sad:) on N Osenia Islet. As you can see you can speak with him and an actual dialogue window opens, just like in the original game. The portrait is currently still missing the border. We've also implemented Yes and No dialogue (no screenshot as of right now unfortunately).

More examples:

Mia (skin was updated after this screenshot to make her look more "feminine")

A blacksmith (courtesy of Majora101)

Pretty generic traders (courtesy of Majora101)

Flaw

Still working on it. I'm taking it to a slightly different direction by adding other mods as well. I'm especially interested to expand the monster types which can be found.

Example:

A bit bummed about the resonance, but no matter. I don't feel like writing these types of posts, instead I want to put some content on a separate guide page and general info site.

Both are still unfinished though, so don't expect anything good. I'm working on it, slowly.

https://thegoldenage.gitlab.io/guide

https://thegoldenage.gitlab.io/landingpage

Portwood

Very interesting, Flaw. How many different monster types is your goal?