News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

GS HTML 5

Started by jjppof, 23, September, 2018, 10:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjppof

Almost two years ago, I started building an engine in HTML5. I'm sharing here the source of what is done.
These last days, I tried to refactor the code to make it somewhat readable.
The project is on github, feel free to fork and test things. A demo is available.

Repo: https://github.com/jjppof/goldensun_html5
Demo: https://jjppof.github.io/goldensun_html5/index

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Oh!! Good job.
One problem I see is that if you press "2" or "3", and then click for full screen... when you exit full screen things look bad.
(I am using Chrome.)

I could probably look at your code and fix that, though.
Not sure how.
By game testing, it looks like it is assuming "1" layout for map resolution and size, but then 2/3 for everything else (Including screen_x/screen_y positions of map.... but readjusted to fit for 1's resolution.)
Maybe setScale again after exiting full screen?

I have one suggestion = That you could add a scale that fills the browser. (Might be more difficult, not sure.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

:happy: This is really nice.
And here I was thinking every engine project died.
You were also the person that created the RPGMaker engine back then right?

The demo works well for me and this looks very promising.
Really good that you finished the walking and battle screen first. I hope you start making the overworld interactables (pillars and crates etc)
next. The only concrete feedback I have right now would be about the walking and collision. Walking seems just a bit too slow and the collision is still janky, likely because you started of with non-square collision detection as a start.

I also look forward to contributing on this project. I have very little free time, but I should be able to refactor things here and there.
If you like I can eventually help you make the project very maintainable.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Yeah. Collision map doesn't have to be complicated. = I can see one 32-bit per tile. (Basically four bytes for tile type and the three heights.)
GS does a list of those, and then 8 bits a tile as indexes to the 32-bit data, but I'm saying if you went this way, you can do my suggestion instead, and skip the extra table. We don't need to worry with compressing things down. (Unless you want to.)
I would also like to contribute as well.

I wonder if Luna can make gsmagic "very maintainable?" Hm?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

jjppof

You can contribute to the repository freely. Just give your profiles, then I can add you as collaborators.
I really want to make it public, so anyone can help and give ideas to improve.

jjppof

As I still see some acquisitions from the forum, I think that maybe would be nice to let a post here saying that this project is still alive and evolving. Please visit https://gshtml5.org/