Golden Sun Hacking Community
November 17, 2018, 06:00:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WIP] blanky's formulas  (Read 221 times)

New User

Coins: 4

« on: October 18, 2018, 03:43:20 AM »

Currently laying some groundwork for a hack centered around improving replayability and the hard mode feature. It would probably take forever for me to actually finish a full hack, given my busy schedule, but I plan on implementing the features one by one and releasing mini-patches so that nothing goes to waste either way. (The semi-randomized enemy drops patch was the first of these mini-patches.)

But every hack needs a mechanical foundation. So basically I plan on overhauling a variety of formulas in the game to achieve a semblance of balance. Yes, more formula hacks seems redundant. Stay with me here. Note that these are, as of right now, all very rough drafts. I would love it if the community could give me feedback or ideas for better implementation.

=====
THE BASELINE
=====
HP & Atk stat growths are assumed similar to vanilla.
Def stat growth is assumed doubled from vanilla. (see:Physical damage)
Casting is a new stat. (see:"Magic" damage)
Agility is now capped at 255.
PP may or may not be reduced subjectively.

=====
Physical damage: [(Lv*8+Additive modifier)(Atk/Def)*Multiplicative modifiers]
=====
The italicized portion (Atk/Def) would be capped at a minimum of 0.5 and a maximum of 1.5. This formula shifts the value of the Defense stat so that it's every bit as good as attack, rectifying the obvious imbalance between the class multipliers for the two stats. Not counting modifiers like resistance the formula acts as follows:

--(~200) damage at level 50 if Atk/Def equals 0.5 or less
--(~400) damage at level 50 if Atk/Def equals 1.0
--(~600) damage at level 50 if Atk/Def equals 1.5 or greater

--(~396) damage at level 99 if Atk/Def equals 0.5 or less
--(~792) damage at level 99 if Atk/Def equals 1.0
--(~1184) damage at level 99 if Atk/Def equals 1.5 or greater

I got the idea of Atk/Def as an equalizer from the Pokemon damage formulas.

=====
"Magic" damage: [Base*Rand(1.0 to 1.25)*4(CurrentCastStat/MaxCastStat)*Modifiers]
=====
The italicized section is capped at a minimum of 1.0. CastStat refers to a new stat, similar to Intellect in Salanewt's patch. The idea here is that until you pass 25% of the max stat (so probably 250) the psynergy would do its base damage, modified only by a small amount of randomness (to make it feel less controllable than physical attacks). But after that it would gradually increase to its final damage of about 4*Base. Ignoring resistances a psynergy with a base power of 200 would act as follows:

--(200-250) damage at <250 CastStat
--(400-500) damage at ~500 CastStat
--(800-1000) damage at 999 CastStat

Keep in mind that base powers can be modified suitably. The goal here was just to implement scaling properly. I took inspiration from some of the newer Dragon Quest games for this formula, since they too once lacked a proper magic stat before adding one in.

=====
Healing: [Base*Modifier*(1+CurrentCastStat/MaxCastStat)]
======
Yep. Scaled healing. Note that base powers would be modified properly to fit this model. The differences between Mercury and non-Mercury would also be less drastic, probably by substantially nerfing Mercury. It's okay for Mercury healing to be slightly stronger but it shouldn't render other healers inviable.

=====
Enemy stat growth: [Growth*Level(1+Level/100)]
=====
The section in italics is capped at 1.5. The idea here is to have every enemy's stats calculated and save those results to RAM instead of having fixed stats. Why bother? Because by adding subroutines for (level+a IF flag is set) you can have monsters that grow stronger as you progress through the plot AND that can scale properly for a New Game+ mode. Instead of vanilla's total cop out x1.5 Atk/HP mode.

Are you wondering what the italicized section is for? It's to simulate character growth. While you keep getting djinn and classing up, monsters don't get that luxury. So instead they're given a modifier based on their level that reaches 1.5 at level 50 and then stops. (This way monsters never become totally insurmountable after you STOP getting new djinn.)

Note that this could also save a few bytes in monster data (if those hardcore hackers really need them) because growth stats should never come close to the monster's original stats. This might also indirectly remove the caps from monster stats, depending on how it's coded. Not sure.

=====
Ailments
=====
Easy option: Simple Success Rates patch+Enemy Specific Immunities patch

New option: Give each monster a resilience stat (0-100). Change the status formula to (Base acc-Resilience). Which should save substantial space since that's a simple formula. And here's the fun part. Give every monster a "family" byte that determines which abilities they are and are not immune to. Families would be things like Boss, Dragon, Aquatic, etc.

And of course it would have the same benefits as the enemy specific immunities patch. Want a lightning unleash that always paralyzes flying enemies? Done. How about a bait item that distracts animal type enemies? Gotcha. A holy themed psynergy that instantly removes undead enemies from your sight? Say no more fam.

=====
Dodge rate: [Agility/(Level/20)=Dodge chance]
=====
This one's definitely a work in progress and may or may not see the light of day. The general assumptions are (A) dodge success will be checked BEFORE unleash rate so agile monsters can effectively dodge late game uses of the attack command, (B) items will be modified to restrict access to broken agility boosts in the early game, and (C) class modifiers for agility are kept modest, maybe even within a -20% to +20% margin.

The core goal here is to make agility just as worth optimizing as the other stats. Instead of just determining turn order, this change would allow players to toss some end-game agility focused gear on a Ninja and turn it into an honest to goodness dodge tank build.

A hard cap of perhaps 50% dodge rate is probably necessary. But these so called dodge tanks are still vulnerable to everything except normal attacks...unless I can set a value on the monster skill EPAs that allows them to skip to a dodge animation as well. No promises.

=====
Other changes
=====
Summons. Nerfing. Question is how. On Discord we discussed several options, from implementing a special meter, to inverting the damage formula so they only do their full damage to weakened enemies, to implementing a "disabled" mode for djinn instead of out of battle standby, to just reducing or flat out removing the HP modifier. It's hard to find an answer that feels right because summons are integral to the game but BROKEN AS THE GOLDEN GUN.

Personally I'm leaning toward the inverted damage formula, with a few modifications to allow summon rushing to still be an option without being THE option.

ELevels would probably be removed from all formulas, as it's otherwise wasted space on enemies. Ailment recovery might just be a set number of turns, or perhaps based on agility or the new casting stat. Dunno yet.

I might also add a formula that factors in both Atk and CastStat. This would be useful for a few things, like making maces and light swords that feel right on both melee and mage characters.

Last, and honestly least, I want to move the equipment calculations so that multipliers only apply to the character, not the equipment. The fact that Sol Blade can have anywhere from 160-340 attack depending on Felix/Isaac's class does not make sense to me. It's the same sword. Ancient magical swords of legend don't just randomly lose their sharpness because you happen to be holding a black book.

This is all I have for formula discussion at the moment. Please tell me about every mistake I made in my calculations and assumptions. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:57:39 AM by blanky-blank » Logged
View Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
October 30, 2018, 09:45:58 PM
Atrius: There used to be where I got the battle sprites for Kraden, but that site doesn't exist any more.
October 26, 2018, 01:31:40 PM
Infitek: Do you know if there any custom Alex battle sprites available on the internet ?
October 26, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
Infitek: Hey everyone
October 13, 2018, 03:23:06 AM
Salanewt: Updated it to provide more info that I forgot to mention.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:48 AM
Salanewt: I'm still trying to iron out IQ 2 but I'm pretty sure it's entirely random targeting.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:29 AM
Salanewt: Oh yeah, I posted some more info about enemy IQ.
October 12, 2018, 09:51:27 PM
FoxThe HTML5 project is too small to count
October 12, 2018, 06:19:48 AM
Luna_blade: there is jjppof's html5 project...
October 12, 2018, 06:19:17 AM
Luna_blade: Though Momo rings a bell it seems I came here after you left
October 11, 2018, 12:49:41 AM
Fox: (If that makes sense.)
October 11, 2018, 12:48:33 AM
Fox: Yeah, I guess so.  More just saying that's a good place to get answers to GS related questions at the moment.
October 11, 2018, 12:42:28 AM
Crystal Sonata: I did before, but I guess I could try it again
October 11, 2018, 12:41:32 AM
Fox: Not much at the moment. This forum seems pretty quiet. Perhaps you'd be interested in joining the Discord for GSHC that seems to have more activity?
October 10, 2018, 11:16:53 PM
Crystal Sonata: Any projects going on? I need a distraction from the daily grind and I'm interested in hacking GS again.
October 10, 2018, 10:02:53 PM
Fox: Thanks, and good to see you too!
October 10, 2018, 10:02:10 PM
Fox: A few people I'm sure... Most likely the regulars of the past. Such as Atrius, Charon, Role, Salanewt....
October 10, 2018, 03:11:17 AM
Crystal Sonata: I find myself wondering who still remembers me here. Obvs you do (Good to see ya Tea)
October 10, 2018, 12:46:11 AM
Fox: On second thought, it might be because you haven't posted much as Crystal Sonata.
October 10, 2018, 12:41:12 AM
Fox: And your intro isn't that bad. - I imagine most people would say the same about theirs?
October 10, 2018, 12:39:39 AM
Fox: :O - You've been gone so long, I think I forgot you were Momo.  Interesting.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise