News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Is Djinn Storm Overpowered?

Started by NCChris, 06, November, 2018, 07:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCChris

Before I say anything; I would like to say that while this post does present a negative opinion on Djinn Storm, I am in no way trying to force my way of thinking onto others, these opinions are just mine and if you think differently, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the replies.
I've been playing this amazing game for years and while I love it, there has always been 1 thing that I've always felt was a big mistake on Camelot's Part; The creation of Djinn Storm.
See, the thing that I hate the most about this move is from a development standpoint; Djinn Storm comes off as extremely unfair and frankly is something I feel no player can properly deal with.
This broken move literally drains away all your Djinns in 1 fell swoop which not only means you have no access to using Djinns and Summons, but since Set Djinns actually boost your stats and grants you Psynergy, this move undoes all that in only 1-turn.
Now normally, I would be fine if Dullahan was only an enemy in the main game, but since he can appear in the Battle Mode, that to me is overkill. At least with the Doom Dragon they actually did make it so you cannot encounter the creature in the Battle Arena but Dullahan? That is ridiculous.
Whenever I am playing the Battle Mode and I see Dullahan show up, I instantly know I am done, especially if I am very far into the challenge.
For this reason, I have actually considered hacking my Rom of Golden Sun The Last Age and straight up removing Djinn Storm from Dullahan because I genuinely do feel like this move is extremely unfair and kills the enjoyment of Battle Mode.

What do you guys think? Is Djinn Storm truly overpowered and extremely unfair or doesn't it bother you as much as it does me? Let me know as I would love to hear people's thoughts on this. Take care and all the best.

Salanewt

Lol, it absolutely is; it's a pretty bad ability overall. It's a lazy move that was made because Camelot was running out of time and needed to create a move that would create artificial difficulty for the end of the game, rather than balancing late-game bosses to have some natural challenge to them.

Doesn't stop me from joking about making that Dullahan's counterattack move though. :P
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

If there's no way to defend against it, then yes... it does sound overpowered.
Either remove the ability, or remove Dullahan from battle arena.

I wouldn't mind having a set up where Dullahan can call any enemy you've already defeated into battle. (Until all the enemy slots are used... so if you defeat one, it gets filled with some random enemy next time Dullahan's turn comes.... etc.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

I very much remember hating Djinn Storm more than any other attack, and knowing that if it was used at the wrong time I was pretty much guaranteed to lose the fight.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]