News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Some Questions about Formulas

Started by Dyrati, 23, March, 2019, 02:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyrati

I was wondering about some odd details that I need to complete a spreadsheet I'm working on.  Sorry in advance if I accidentally break a rule here,  or posted in the wrong spot, or if these questions have been answered elsewhere in the forums.  I'm new here :s

1. For weapons that have multiple unleash effects, what are the exact probabilities for each?  I found Excalibur's probabilities on the wiki: 40% for 1x damage, and 60% for 3x damage.  Also found the probabilities for the Tisiphone Edge (30% for 1x, 20% for 2x, 50% for 3x).  What about the Masamune, Swift Sword, and Bandit's Sword?  Also, are those percentages rounded to a fraction out of 256?  I was also wondering the same thing regarding secondary effects of Djinn, like the chance for Gust to deal double damage.

2. I read in a post on Weapon Variabilities here that weapon effects have half the base% chance of working as dedicated spells, eg. Blinding Smog from the Righteous Mace would have half the base chance of causing Delusion as the spell Delude.  I assume that also applies to Djinn unleashes?  But what about things that don't have associated spells, like the health sapping of the Angelic Ankh, or the chance to halve agility from the Hestia Blade? (Actually, the Drain spell saps HP, but I couldn't find the probability for that.)

3. Is there a list of bosses with preset move orders?  The ones I've found so far were Saturos, Manticore, maybe Poseidon (I haven't tested that), Dullahan, and the first action of each phase of Doom Dragon (thanks to Plexa).  Are there any others?

4. Crit chance vs Unleash Chance:  The two seem to be used interchangeably elsewhere but in game they're two totally different effects.  How are the probabilities for crits dealt with, for enemies too?

Basically, I'm trying to make something where you can plug in a weapon, and some statistics, and have the spreadsheet tell you the average damage you would deal each attack, factoring in crit chance, unleash chance, average unleash multiplier, and relative power and attack.  I'm also making something where you can plug in a boss, and some statistics on a target, and see the probabilities of each move's effects activating on that target, as well as the average damage that target would take from each of the other moves, and the total average damage per turn.

Apologies again if these questions have already been answered somewhere else, or if I'm not supposed to have this many questions on one post... Thanks for any replies!

Salanewt

Hey there! I'll answer as best I can:

1. I'm not sure; this is just for Dark Dawn though, for the record.

2. Do you have a link for that? I ask because that doesn't feel accurate, but it's entirely possible we need to double check some code. I *think* it might actually be tied to ability formula used (Effect Only may have a higher rate?) but I'd have to verify that.

3. You should be able to check in the editor for that one; Poseidon and Dullahan have sequential patterns, but they are set up a bit differently than other enemies. Poseidon links to a second moveset that it draws from on every second turn, and Dullahan has a random starting point but otherwise chooses moves in a sequential order using three enemy slots. It also uses Defend occasionally, which is a bug with the AI that I haven't fully worked out yet (Defend is what the AI defaults to when it is unable to select a move).

4. Unleashes take precedence over everything else; crits come either after that, or after miss rates. Both critical and miss rates are 1/32 if I recall correctly, though crits are also boosted by crit-boosting gear (not only unleashes).

This spreadsheet project sure sounds interesting!

And it's not a problem at all! Ask away. :P
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Dyrati

Thank you again!

Um, yeah, on closer inspection, that Weapon Variabilities post was about suggested balancing things, not actual ingrained mechanics >~<

I only just learned about the editor from these forums, and it seems pretty darn kewl!  I read on the wiki that Dullahan also had a second moveset he draws from when his Psynergy is sealed.  I had to study that for the Dullahan Solo I made o3o.  I'll download the editor and try to figure stuff out I suppose ^-^

I take it that means that three independent random numbers are rolled: one for unleashes, one for crits, and one for missing?  Or do any of them share a random number?  That makes a lot of sense actually, since weapons with unleashes increase the BRN by 4 before landing a hit, although idk what that 4th RN is for.  I have a bunch of questions about RN too.  I would assume that the boost to crit chance from equipment is also additive, rather than multiplicative.  Also how much does Delusion affect the chance to miss?

I have a bunch of questions concerning battle mode too.  Should I make a new post or just have all the questions in this thread?  Btw, I read your master formula list from a while ago ^-^ It might be cool to include the formula for flee chance, some damage formulas, stat formulas, and BRN formulas maybe.

Salanewt

Haha, yeah it's pretty neat! We've already talked about the Dullahan thing over Discord, but I'll reiterate here for anyone else who reads this topic:

Dullahan has a linked moveset that draws abilities from three enemies. When sealed, it will skip psynergy due to the way the AI works. It's not really a second move pool, so much as the game cutting some actions out under the right conditions (the same would happen in a hypothetical scenario where Dullahan has 0 PP). Action selection is also slightly bugged, because the way the AI is set up means that an enemy will always use Defend if it is unable to select a valid action within x number of code loops; this is why Dullahan sometimes uses Defend despite not having it in its move pool.

Critical boosts are indeed additive! I'm not sure how helpful I'd be about random number stuff though; you may have better luck asking someone from the speedrunning community.

As for battle mode, it's up to you! I can always answer questions over Discord, although we could use a topic that goes over some things too; I don't think a lot of people have given it much thought.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteCritical boosts are indeed additive! I'm not sure how helpful I'd be about random number stuff though; you may have better luck asking someone from the speedrunning community.
All you have to do is put a breakpoint on the function, and see where it is called for all four times... Read the code there to see what it is. (Perhaps using the GS2 Documentation as a generic guide.)

I thought of the random +0 to +3 number... but I think he's referring to before that...  Maybe effect chance.
Too lazy to check right now.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Lol, well I was mainly referring to this part:

QuoteI have a bunch of questions about RN too.

But yeah, that should help.