News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Editing midgame

Started by Ehic, 17, October, 2009, 01:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ehic

How do I (is it possible) to edit my roms mid game without having to restart from venus lighthouse every time I change something. I am using VBA. I start a game and go through intro, then I save in game (not save state). I close VBA and open editor, then edit, and finally save over my old version. Then i close the editor, restart VBA open the recently changed ROM and it will load either my unmodified saved game or the modified version with no save files.

Can someone help me out please?

Atrius (He/Him)

find the .sav file in your ROM directory for the unmodified one, copy it, and rename the duplicate to the name of the modified ROM with .sav still as the extension.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

Quick question - not 100 percent sure, but do your stats fix up if you gain a level? I've noticed classes fix up if you trade djinn but not stats...

Rolina

No, base stats are probably saved as actual numbers.  If you're changing base and level up stats, it will not effect your base stats.  Otherwise, things like Hard Nuts and Cookies would never work properly.

Atrius (He/Him)

True, there's also a level of randomness to how stats level up.  You see, when the game calculates how much the stat is supposed to increase when you level up it's usually not a whole number.  It will do an RNG calculation based on the fractional part of the number to see if it raises it by another 1 point or not since the actual stat can't have a fraction.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Right.  As such, the only thing you'll effect are the stat growths from the point of the edit onwards.  If you want to get full results, you'll need to start all over.

Once we get a scene editor, hopefully we'll be able to just skip the whole shebang...

Ehic

I got it to work. Thanks for your help. I will keep that stat limtation in mind as I work on edit.