News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Hi, guys, I want to remake part of GS but I need some help

Started by Waygo, 27, September, 2020, 06:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waygo

I has been our member for a long but never actually have a chance to talk about this.
So we have GS editor, based one previous post from author, it was written in GML or C++, so I played around the Editor myself and find out maybe there is more I could do to help.
But I just do not know where to get started.  :VenusDjinni:

Anyone knows is it possible to program the Psychic power we have in GS? If so, what kind of platform or language could help us achieve that?
:MercuryDjinni: :JupiterDjinni:
( I like GS ever since I was a kid, and now I am currently in college study for computer science, but I really love this Game. I keep thinking about if there is a way I could rebuild it in even preliminary. If there is anyone who have any idea about what am I talking about, please, I need some help. )   :Felix: :Piers:

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Atrius's Editor was coded in GML, and the DLL it uses was coded in C++, yes. (DLL because GML is slow, and even then I still think GML is inefficient... and so... I made my incomplete/experiment gsmagic program. (Another GS editor... mainly for GS2, but needs a lot of work.)

___ROM hacking?___ (Warning: Text might be confusing for newbies, but I'm trying to give a gist without spending too much time explaining right now.)
If you want to do more with editing the GS ROMs, I'd suggest getting use to VBA's memory viewer and disassembler. (Under Tools.)  Also, maybe get a generic hex editor too. (I consider it optional since you can save dumps of ROM section from memory viewer.) ...  I don't expect anyone to learn it overnight. The disassembler shows thumb/arm (most of the time, you will want to read in thumb; arm is used too, but not a whole lot), which is the assembly language the code is in.
So if you learn that (GBATEK is also pretty necessary), then going a step further, you get to use a breakpoint debugger to help locate and document things a bit easier... I usually use SDL-H, but no$gba is good too.)
Taking all this in mind, this is what led up to me docing the data in my Google Docs. (GS2 is the most studied.)

___Rebuilding?___
Have you heard of OpenGoldenSun? -- Nevermind, I'm convinced that's a dead project.

BUT. There is someone else who was working on a project you might be interested in. = https://jjppof.github.io/goldensun_html5/
We are active on Discord, so that's also be a good place to contact the GSHC Community. (Including jjppof.)

-Teawater/Teaman
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Waygo

It is great to see we actually have a Golden Sun Engine out there.
I will clone the project to see if there is anything I can do to help.

But right now to be total honest, what I want to do most is something like

1. change the existing event in our GS rom

2. add some new event if it is possible

3. add some new map if it is possible

( But I not sure if GS Engine or simply our Editor could help me to do this)
( If there is any thoughts or suggestion, please hit me)

jjppof

GSHTML5 is an active project, it's written in javascript. If building a gs engine is your goal, you may want to check what we need help with.  :happy:

Waygo

Of course, I will definitely take a look, the engine looks amazing!!!
( not sure how much I can do to help, but I am willing to help use my knowledge)