News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Help request about opinions and suggestions Animations

Started by Drake baku, 23, January, 2023, 01:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake baku

Hello everyone,

So as the title indications I want to request some help for my rom hack related to animations.
I am currently working on Golden Sun 1 and have added a lot of new abilities.

Off course I want to be as versatile as possible with animation usage and while I am perfectly aware that Sala recently updated his Animation catalogue to include unused variations Salanewt Animation Cataloge
I have to admit that without being able to visually see it in use, I have a hard time grasping them based on description or snapshot alone...

and seeing there are no youtube clips showing unused variations or monster skills (that I can find) I end up having to ask for help from others    :medal:

Ill be listing all my abilities with name and information that I think is useful to give you an impression of what I look for, even those I already think I got something good for, to see if you all agree or would have an better suggestion in mind.

Option wise I am fine with any animation, unused ones, monster skills, weapon skills and existing psynergies.
I mostly want to have a good spread of animations instead of like 3 times using the same one for 3 different abilities (lines) so having some reused is not the biggest of issues if the animation is a good match but yeah there is something like too much reuse and classes having access to abilities that share the same animation which naturally does not look as nice    :medal::Sweat:
Also I cant say I find the descriptions on the wiki's about monster ability visuals to be as clear as well...

I have to be honest, I am not so far as to have considered Unleased animations to be set (for new or altered weapons)

EDIT:
I realized, like with Unleashes, I have not confirmed which monster skills have been cut and if any of them have any animations to them (most I know that were cut were those that do nothing)
anyway as I already have the idea for one psynergy to share the same animation as one unleash (unless someone has an opinion about an better one) you can feel free to just list all ideas regardless of use on monsters and weapons
Also I confirmed the following psynergy animations to be unused in my current list
dull
weaken
impair
impact clone
Impair clone
regen

Opinion suggestions?
[spoiler]
:VenusStar: Tremor Line Yeah I took gs2's tremor and made it into a full line already available in gs1, through without its utility effect...
Ive went with Quake's animation for this one (quake is removed so its a free grab)

:MercuryStar: Ice Rain it rain massive hail chunks, Prism is removed so this one uses this animation

:MercuryStar: Bubble bubbles are created that hit and hurt enemies... with Froth removed, Bubble takes its animation

:MercuryStar: Fog set Fog as the name implies is fog based, so I figured Delude animation would be fine

:VenusStar:  :JupiterStar: Angel Cure, Cure Toxic some simple clear status and poison ablities, use the same animation as cure poison/ restore, I very much doubt anyone would disagree with these  :Sweat:
:JupiterStar:  :MarsStar:  :MercuryStar: Angel bless, fenix, life water they are all revive versions, I could look for that different colored revive animation patch, through I need to confirm where they put these and how many of the unused animations I got to link to unused lines to judge if I even have enough space for that patch...
:MarsStar: Armor Smith buff defense so... guard animation XD (also its the only psynergy which has that animation)
:JupiterStar: Angel Guard buff element resist... so yeah Ward animation

:JupiterStar: Slayer an psynergy made to slay XD
I took an unused animation (dagger Rain) for this one

:MercuryStar: Water Star an water version of shuriken, I feel that shuriken itself would be good enough unless there is an alternate color version that has more watery shuriken's XD

:MarsStar: Sword Dive Yeah Ragnarok has been turned into an Mars psynergy with a new name XD

:NeutralStar: Rainbow Monster skill to instantly recover the monsters entire PP pool, using the unused animation Element Harvest (its a mini boss type monster so something this OP'd felt right)

:JupiterStar: Aura Gauntlet an aura made gauntler to slam the target hard, so I figured brute force would work
:JupiterStar: Gravearm an aura made full arm armor to hit a target with HARD, As such I felt Truncheon fist to be a match

:JupiterStar: Aura Sword aura made sword, I figure rapid smash/ Slice animation

:JupiterStar: Aura Claw aura made claw to attack with, I figured Bear claw works well

:MarsStar: Sacred Ash sacred ashes are thrown to the target, considering nothing else really works I went with for Smoke Bomb

:MarsStar: Beal Furry you could consider this a summon of sorts, yet instead of a god, you summon the demon lord Beal, as such I feel that Outer Space works well, afterall it actually does not show the Fusion Dragon but it does show the purple flames that come down with that dragon ^^

:MarsStar: Firebreath underdeveloped version of Firebreath in gs2... it makes sense for it to use firebreath
:MarsStar: Hell Hound precursor of Cerberus, so I figure an firebreath type animation like the cerberus releases
The difference between those two will be the angle of the camera when used, Firethrower will use the 128 value to set the camera to face the team when using firebreath
while Hell hound will have the camera behind the party (and thus why we dont see the Hell Hound, hiding in the parties shadow)

:NeutralStar: Dragon Blood an self healing ability, only acquirable with the right very rare drop, I figured Recovery would be a good animation here

[/spoiler]

Help request
Doubt group
[spoiler]
:MercuryStar: Holy water as on the box, douse an enemy with holy water, too bad there is no monster attribute in the game or this ability would deal 3x damage to undead and demons, but yeah animation concept is as you can imagine, I think I could use douse but im not sure...

:MarsStar: Molten Metal line psynergy made molten metal is poured on a target, I personally think along the lines of Volcano line, Molten Metal is unique to a single class which lacks volcano so it could work

:MarsStar: Copper Ore line pretty much like Molten metal but with heated ore instead of liquid metal, I guess I could use Blast animation (Mad blast line) for this line, as its not used by the only class that can use the ore line, but yeah.... not that certain its a good match

:MarsStar: Devils Deal an little gimmick I noticed with orb based animations is that they are really influenceable on caster to target, you could take an orb based animation and aim it at a group and the orb scatters among the targets, aim at a single target and all the orbs come together on that target, target an enemy, the orbs go to the the enemy, target an ally and the orbs move out and return towards said ally
I have came with the idea to use Drain animation's orbs for this one
its a self target so the orbs will move out from the caster and move back to the caster, healing 7% PP
I however am a bit in doubt if Drain did or did not put the target in his/ her "get hit" pose...

:MarsStar: Force never understood why Force was not useable as offence ability... so I changed it, I picked Heatwave animation cause it feels similar vibe wise but yeah with Force being an bestow type psynergy... you can easily grant it to the heatwave user so I kinda feel this might need a revisit?

:MarsStar: Hammerforge slamming a target with an forge hammer, I think... forcible arm??

:MercuryStar: water Dragon line originally this could be considered a water form of Fume, however the dragon moves in a straight line more, the first is simple, the second has heavy currents spinning its bacy behind the head and the last is massive
only thing I can think off is... Water breath..

:VenusStar: Toxic Sand sand that contains poison is shot, I figured Acid breath would work
:JupiterStar: Poison Air Air that is poisoned is released, Again Acid Breath is the go to one, I made sure not one class has access to both, but seeing I wanted as little as possible reuse... I am a bit iffy still...
[/spoiler]

doubt cause of djinne related animations
[spoiler]
:VenusStar: Rock Wall rising the ground in front to create a defensive wall, I think granite as animation but need to be sure the djinne itself wont be shown

:MercuryStar: Avoid Yeah combat form here as well XD, to avoid better in battle, one boost one's agility XD
Maybe Tonic if the djinne itself wont show

:MarsStar: Weapon Smith an weapon smith can boost the teams weapons... Forge without the djinne?

:JupiterStar: Aura Shield an shield made from solid aura to take a blow, I think Breeze djinne?

[/spoiler]

full help request group
[spoiler]
:VenusStar: Land Divide land divide, as its name states, would split the land into two, making it harder to move and thus lowering agility.
In a sense I could use Quake animation here as well, but it is shared with Tremor line in 2 classes...

:VenusStar: Grand Forest grow a forest that steals life...
item bestowed psynergy so everyone can learn it, in a sense I could use something in thorn's line but as its an bestow... that would make it too easy for it to be useable by someone using thorn line....
too bad I cant use Cybele's vines without the toad god XD

:MercuryStar: Cold Line an precursor of Cool basically... weaker and underdeveloped.. As the cool line does not exist I made this weaker version but naturally its animation, while it can differ, should still hold a bit of a candle to the concept it came from...

:MarsStar: Cremate an evolved form of Sacred Ash, meant to burn a target...

:MarsStar: Flame Arm inspired by something I had seen on tv XD, the user covers their arm with flames and slams into the target hard, I could take a guess at Helm Splitter but... I feel there has to be an better option

:JupiterStar: Backstab Yeah I pulled Bakcstab into gs1 as well XD
it is weaker as well then the gs2 version cause of the lack of animation, I guess I could use quickstrike but like flame arm, I cant help wonder if there is not an better option out there

:MarsStar: Call Devil precursor of call demon, since you cant summon in gs1 I feel I need something to give the idea of an devil that attack from the shadows or something
I could try vorpal slash if only there was a red option of it... but even then I cant help wonder if there is not an better option...

:VenusStar: Call Skeleton precursor of... I think it was call zombie XD
same issue as Call Devil... I really dont know with this one, something skeleton based at least XD

:MarsStar: Fume I should first note that this too is an precursor and thus weaker and everything, only the first form shares its name with the later one, the others are named differently
but yeah you can imagine how hard it is for this one to have any good animations...
Fume itself has to be weaker and I guess maybe instead of throwing it, you can imagine a weaker one to be more up close and personal so I guess we could look into unleashes?
its development based on names are "snake Fume" and "red fume" to be replaced with Serpent and Dragon respectively, so if that helps a bit?
It should also be noted that there are 2 different paths Fume can develop, the other is basically 2 fumes at the same time
and as final both fumes compressed back into one focused one that explodes on impact

:JupiterStar: Funnel the idea in my head is an long thin tornado from the users palm directed to a single target, hitting them with the force of an tornado in the chest...
I am almost 100% certain that such an animation does not exist in gs1, in gs2 there is something more similar but... yeah wont help here XD

:JupiterStar: Breaker an close range attack that breaks status buffs, fun little fact in gs2 this will evolve into an ability I love to call Rassengan  :JupiterDjinni:

:MercuryStar: Aurora Field heal and revive the team, would love an aurora borealis like effect XD

:VenusStar: Rock Shield an rock lifted from the ground to act as a shield for one turn

:MercuryStar: Blood Point water control on the users own blood to boost reaction ability and thus agility

:JupiterStar: Angel Wings wings made of light allows the user to fly and act twice next turn
only thing I can think of is Soothing Star but I am very much certain that wont really work...

:VenusStar: Burial line the concept is that the target(s) are pulled under or buried by other means

:MarsStar: Laser line precursor of Beam, you can imagine what a laser looks like XD

:MarsStar: Great Heat precursor of raging heat line... I can take one of the blast animations, have to check if they conflict so I am hoping a bit more for something better

:VenusStar: Carry useful in battle cause it can stun is the idea, but not sure what kind of animation works with the idea of stunning a target by holding them in the air

:JupiterStar: Angel Glow an evolving psynergy, the first one glows to hurt all with a delude chance, second stage Angle Light and Angel beam are in a way laser like but instead of heat they are more like holy light or something, making them perhaps a bit easier but.... yeah

[/spoiler]

Spread Animation Lines
Lines where each ability has different animations and with it different imputs
[Spoiler]
-Dont know :JupiterStar: Vacuum Point an specific point where air is compressed by an vacuum of air, I am not sure about this one's animation, I guess Confuse animation? I really dont know
-dont know :JupiterStar: Vacuum wall an vacuum is generated that it shapes a wall that slams into the enemies
-dont know :JupiterStar: Vacuum Blast Vacuum pressurized so much at a single point it actually causes an explosion

-Doubt :JupiterStar: Darkthunder black thunder is released from the user's arm, as such I think numbing sting but i am not sure
-Dont know :JupiterStar: DarkStrike an black thunder strike from the sky
-doubt :JupiterStar: Electrocute up close and personal, you touch the target and electricity electrocutes them from within, I could use stun voltage but I wonder if its not too... weak for a 3e stage psynergy with the potential of insta fell

-Doubt :MercuryStar: Snow snow falls on the target, this version could use break animation??
no classes with Snow has access to break but still not sure
-opinion :MercuryStar: Snowflurry an more directed snow based attack, so I thought Ice breath?
-opinion :MercuryStar: Whiteout final stage and using the unlease animation Blizzard

-Doubt :JupiterStar: Fresh Breath yeah no name change, just a direct grab from DD XD, I wanna say Zypher Djinne if the Djinne wont show??

-Doubt  :JupiterStar: Shock Palm the user is electrically cloaked and strikes the target physically at high speed, I think bone charge? (color has to be yellow or orange)
-Doubt :JupiterStar: Spark Dash pretty much the same as Shock palm, but stronger so maybe... Onslaught?
-Doubt :JupiterStar: Raiky Slam again an upgraded, so... Dynamite??

-Doubt :MarsStar: Blue Flame an flame cold as ice, a blue flame, Mystic flame might work? through I wonder if there are any better options?
-Doubt :MarsStar: Cold Flame an very cold blue flame, following the color pattern and size of.... I think... Deadly gas?
-Doubt :MarsStar: Frozen Flame blue flames so cold they are both frozen and flaming at the same time, maybe... Dragon Diver? feels like an upgrade from Cold flame's animation

-Opinion :VenusStar: Undead Spirit the precursor of the Undead Curse line from DD, weaker again off course XD
-dont know :VenusStar: undead ghost precursor again of undead gloom this time, I guess.. haunting??
I figured since there is no matching animation, that Undead Sword animation would work
-dont know :VenusStar: Undead Wraith again precursor..
[/spoiler}

other
the group for things outside animations I would like feedback on (well all could also have some animation feedback requirement but have other things I want to ask opinions and suggestions on )
[spoiler]
:VenusStar: lift figured ill make lift more useful by giving it an in battle effect, the idea is that you can lift cause lift boosts your strength, so an attack boost, so likely Impact animation but tbh I am not even that sure I want this effect to begin with but what else would make sense?

:JupiterStar: Air Shell set In general I think about this one boosting elemental resist, but I could say defense might also work... not fully sure...

:JupiterStar: Psyseal, Time Rend the first is as stated, the latter is an stun, yet for some reason in my notes I see I have picked the animations as follow
Psyseal uses the Confuse Animation
Time Rend uses Bind animation
I can see them both work but also wonder if it might not be better to switch them around?

:MercuryStar: Leech, Drain Fang Leech is meant to be a bite attack that steals PP while Drain Fang is an bite attack that steals HP, they will have evolved forms in gs2, each turning into an full 3 psynergy line
one thing is, I know there is an monster skill called Drain fang, so I am a bit conflicted with the name issue there to begin with
(the evolved forms for Drain Fang are "blood drain" and "life drain" so either this one needs an new but matching name or the original drain fang needs a new name XD)
(to match, the leech line will become "Plasma Leech" and "Spirit Leech")
but I also got the matter of there being 3 draining type bite attacks (Drain Fang, Vampire Fang and Cannibal Fang) so which would be better for which...

:JupiterStar: Angel heal Line tbh this is an healing line so I dont even know why I am not just using one of the other ones, but which would be best or would there be an better one

:MarsStar: Aura Share line precursor of the Aura line, so yeah same as the Angel Heal line, its an healing based line, I think there might be something useful for it in the unused variants but im not sure, I could also use some various Animations like Berserk, Spasm and Recover but I am very much in doubt... so yeah...

:VenusStar: green wood line an other precursor, the elder wood set will become a line and this is the precursor, since you cant summon it, I am looking for something ground/ plant related that can be considered an healing animation... all i can think off is Worms...

:MarsStar: warming body an psynergy to forcefully warm the body, boosting agility, at least that is the idea, other suggestions would be nice to play around with
I am also unsure of the animation, I think Berserk cause of its glow but yeah... maybe something better exists...

:VenusStar: Earth Scan a tricky ability, in general it works like reveal but also gains an combat function, all I can think off is an buff on agility (earth scan shows the true terrain so the adept can move across it easier) but im not so sure
and I also dont really know any animation for this one...

:MercuryStar: Aqua Orb the user covers herself (individual person class only) with water in an orb form to protect herself from damage for 1 turn, I think Reflect but I am not sure?
also what would people thinj
Water Orb or Aqua Orb
which name is better?
[/spoiler]

EDIT: 2 edits, 1 for clarity, if its an psynergy line (3 or more, or branching) I have marked those as a *name* line
if its a set (two psynergies, such as ward), it will be marked as *name* set
all others are either stand alone or one of those evolving psynergies (such as heatwave or ragnaroc)
all abilities listed here are psynergies unless stated (such as with Rainbow, being stated as monster skill)
I found I have forgotten some psynergies
water wall = Merc, an team defense raising psynergy, naturally this would fit best with guard animation (Opinion)
ice pick = Merc, an single offence attack, close range attack (imagine adding ice spikes on the weapon while attacking), a simple attack animation would be nice (it also is meant to break through defenses, which is not a real effect so I figured, break effect XD) (help request full
artic dust = merc, a precursor to diamond dust, I feel an more dust based concept would be a nice fit as a much weaker and lower version help request full

Salanewt

Hey! so I'm going to do what I can to work down this list and provide some input and suggestions. As a broad thing, I'm generally not big on random name changes for the sake of it but you are not me so I won't comment much on those unless I either like it or have something to add. Same goes for name ideas in general, even for new spells, unless I have a question about it.

Additionally, while I can think of some decent animation choices for GS2 (e.g. something like Sand Breath could be a good pick for :MarsStar: Sacred Ash), many of the ones I can think of don't exist in GS1 so I won't bother naming them here. I will occasionally give suggestions for some custom code you can set up to make a few of these work, and I'd be happy to show you how to accomplish some of them later if you'd like (requiring ASM edits, but I have full confidence in your ability to pull them off with some guidance).

Opinion Suggestions
:VenusStar: Quake = Tremor works fine, especially if your plan is to later make it into the Tremor utility in GS2 (that way there's no confusion over what it does in relation to the original Tremor spell).

:JupiterStar: Slayer = "A psynergy made to slay" doesn't really give much info about what its purpose is. Is it like Annihilation, with a random chance to kill the target, or is it just a damaging move? Going for a name like "Flay" could be a really good fit too although "Slayer" could still be good depending on what it does.

:MercuryStar: Water Star = Whenever a battle animation loads a graphic, there is also the option to toggle a flag for whether it should load its own palette or not. The game usually uses this as a means of loading multiple assets for a particular animation and having them use the same palette (e.g. the Shuriken GFX plus a particle for two assets, with the particle's flag being turned off so Shuriken's palette is used).

A side effect of this is that, if you do not set that flag, it will use whatever palette was used previously. Considering its use as some kind of Psynergy, using it will execute a preceding "casting animation" that gets retained; this means you can colour it based on whatever element is assigned to the ability. If your goal is to ditch the regular Shuriken and just make it water-themed, then this could be a very easy option that also opens the door for Earth/Fire/Wind Stars if you want them. The caveat here is you can't really use it as an item or unleash animation, since the acts of using an animation for those purposes do not have associated animations with which to assign a palette in advance.

All that being said, if you wish to keep the regular Shuriken alongside it, then your best bet is to set up some new custom code that you can link to the function that deals with Shuriken (and also Slash/etc.). That process (which can also apply to other animations if you go this route) would fix the item/unleash use issue too.

:JupiterStar: Aura Sword = I feel like Undead Sword could be a good pick unless you want to keep the same animation for the move used by Bone Fighters. Alternately, with a little custom code, you may be able to set up a new variant that allows you to keep that version while adding one with a different palette. The downside is...

:JupiterStar: Aura Claw = I can't think of a similar animation to Undead Sword that could work well for a claw-themed attack. Your best bet for that might honestly be to just use Bear Claw and stick with Slice for the Sword version, assuming these are meant to be related abilities.

:MarsStar: Hell Hound = Not commenting on the name so much as I am the idea of it being a precursor to Cerberus/Cerebus in combination with the plan for it (Fire Breath upgrade). It's actually kinda weird, since the Cerebus enemy that the ability is based on is primarily Mercury themed–the enemy in question doesn't even have any Mars abilities–yet the ability in GS2 is solidly Mars. It might be based more on Dread Hound (which is Mars), but I can't recall for certain. As such, I can think of three options for this.

1. You could name it something like "Cerberus' Fury" and just treat it as little more than solid damage upgrade. The downside is it will be hard to differentiate it from Fire Breath, which can be fully replicated in GS1 since the animation is the same and custom icons are doable. The camera change might help, but it won't help much since the camera already moves around a lot in battles.

2. You instead give it the "Ice Breath" animation, which is actually an ability used by the miniboss as it appears in GS1. That way it has a stronger connection to the enemy of the ability you're making this a precursor too. The downside to that is, should you work on a GS2 sequel hack, you may lock yourself into making it a Mercury ability when it wasn't one before. Personally, I don't think that would be a bad thing as it would allow you to turn the Salamander spell line into something actually fun to use with more variey to it, but that's still a consideration I raise.

3. Alternately? Blue Fire Breath (Breaths Child ID:01) is an unused Fire/Water/Etc. Breath variant you have at your disposal, which can be set up with a very tiny bit of custom code. It is still clearly a fiery breath, yet its blue palette works well because a) Blue fire is generally hotter than red (meaning more damaging), and b) Blue is often seen as Mercury's colour, meaning you can still kinda reference Cerebus being a Mercury enemy while retaining the Mars element. It also exists in both games, so you can carry it over to GS2 while also using it for other abilities.

Help Request Doubt Group
:MercuryStar: Holy Water/ :MarsStar: Molten Metal = These can work if you're getting rid of the Douse and Volcano lines. Or even if you aren't; it's not like vanilla GS doesn't reuse the same animations for multiple abilities, and Volcano's is even one of them (Lava Shower).

:MarsStar: Copper Ore = I can't really think of anything, but to be honest I'm not sure what benefit a second molten metal spell series would add to your arsenal. You could maybe use the Broil unleash animation and just name it something like "Ore Blast" or something? That way you can have one spell line and one standalone Attack-based ability, and they won't feel repititive.

:MarsStar: Devil's Deal = I actually really love when people notice weird little behaviours like this and take full advantage of them. It putting the target into the "damaged" animation wouldn't be out of place either if you have it as a "damage HP to restore PP" kind of move. The only potential concern I have, from a balance perspective, is that vanilla game mechanics only let you deal flat-ish amounts of damage with an ability unless you specifically set up an ability to work more like a summon (requiring extra/new coding to set it up). That's not necessarily a problem if you play it right, and it could actually be a fun tradeoff if you use it in better classes vs. worse ones, but it may warrant some extra testing to be sure. Definitely go with this idea and see if it works!

:MarsStar: Force = That could work, but I can't really think of any viable alternatives either so I might be missing something. Maybe Shriek or War Cry or something? Personally, I think you should keep it non-elemental so that it can stand out from other abilities and generally be consistent in its damage output regardless of who has it equipped. You could also give it to a Heat Wave user and avoid having it feel too much like a clone ability (assuming Heat Wave's animation is also used for it). That is ultimately up to you though. :P

As a side bonus, should you make a GS2 hack after, the Slash Expansion Pack that adds onto the Animation Overhaul adds a new animation variant specially made for Force, meaning you'll have a much better fit for it down the road if you use those patches.

:MarsStar: Hammerforge = Sadly, I can't think of any ability animations in either game that actually feature hammers. It might be easier to invoke the idea of tempering a blade instead? The name might not fit perfectly at that point but I get what you're going for here and it's a shame your options are so limited for that idea.

:MercuryStar: Water Dragon = I know I discussed this idea with you over Discord already, but I forgot to consider the option of adding a new variant while still keeping the old one (kinda like what I discussed for Water Star and Aura Sword earlier). That way you can have both.

:VenusStar: Toxic Sand/ :JupiterStar: Poison Air = Acid Breath would work well for Poison Air, but it doesn't really look gritty enough for sand. This is another one of those situations where I can think of options for GS2 that don't apply here. You could tweak Blizzard and Ice Breath so that they have the "uses own palette" flag turned off, effectively making those into elemental abilities and allowing you to have a yellowish sand/chunk attack to use for the Venus ability. The downside is that Blizzard and Ice Breath share the same GFX assignment code, so you'd have to create some new code and fork it into the old one in order to separate them... or even create a "new variant" that internally gets reassigned to either Blizzard or Ice Breath once the GFX/palette segment is dealt with.

The last four ( :VenusStar:  :MercuryStar:  :MarsStar:  :JupiterStar: ) in this section should work fine without there being Djinn graphics. Forge and Breeze are genuinely just animation assignment clones of Impact and Ward that literally use the same code internally, and the behaviour for Tonic and Granite is the same as for Cure/Flower, or Forge/Impact; Djinni if used as a Djinn ability, no Djinni if used as anything else.

Help Request Full Help Request Group

:VenusStar: Land Divide = Could maybe be Gaia if you're fine with reusing that animation (it's already another Volcano situation in vanilla GS), but there aren't too many "earth splitting" animations in the game so it's either that or Quake.

:VenusStar: Grand Forest = I remember wanting to have an ability line involving trees like a decade ago, but there are genuinely no good animations for trees. Even for plants as a general concept, GS1 has a grand total of four and they all have the same "plants shoot out of the ground" nature; Growth & Punji (with Punji being a skin swap basically), Thorn, Vine (with djinni included, does not work as aline), and Cybele (with tree toad spirit included, does not work as a line). GS2 adds one single new one in the form of Bramble Card (with card included, does not work as a line). Your best bet for this is probably Growth or else canning the idea to be honest, assuming you don't want to go through the hassle of designing new graphics and trying to set up a new animation or animation variant via code. Same goes for :MercuryStar: Aurora Field, despite GS2 having an ability named that for use by Iris (it resembles GS2's Aura healing line).

:MercuryStar: Cool = Maybe Frost? It's not quite as dire a situation as plant-themed animations, but Mercury options are kinda limited too and I can't think of any cold looking ones that come from the ground. At least Frost accumulates on the ground, so that's something but I know it isn't ideal. :/

:MarsStar: Cremate = Maybe Barrage? I didn't give a suggestion for Sacred Ash because I can not think of much for it based on your description, but I'm not sure if Barrage follows well from Smoke Bomb *or* the GS2 example I gave in my explanation for why I won't suggest otherwise plausible GS2 animations. I suppose you could just do Smoke Bomb argument 0 for Sacred Ash and Smoke Bomb argument 2 for Cremate?

:MarsStar: Flame Arm = Planet Diver, or if you keep that then you do Mighty Press or something.

:MarsStar: Fume = This is another situation kinda like Cool, but unlike Cool I can't think of anything that would remotely work while still having the same feel that Fume has. Dragon Cloud is a big maybe (downside is it has no variants to work well as a line), while an unleash animation where the user runs up and strikes the target doesn't have the same feel as Fume, a gaseous fire dragon from across the stage. Same goes for :MarsStar: Laser by the way.

:JupiterStar: Breaker = So fun fact: There is another variable you can play with that we usually call "ability type". In GS, depending on how an ability is used, it will be automatically assigned a type (for example, a Psynergy gets a special preceding animation, while a monster skill that does not have a PP cost will get a different one, and a Djinni gets flagged as a djinni ability). You also have the option of overriding any ability's type and changing how the game treats it. As it happens, there is an ability type that makes the user run up to the target as the animation plays out; you can combine this with Break's animation (which will still be blue without any other changes) to get exactly what you're describing.

:MercuryStar: Blood Point = Can you elaborate on this one a bit? Because you may be able to tweak the "Buffs" code enough to fit in a blue palette swap of Zephyr, but I don't know if that visual is what you're looking for.

:JupiterStar: Angel Wings = Zephyr is probably your best bet, given the lack of any "give user wings" looking animation. There will be no Djinni graphic unless it is used as one so you're safe on that front, but people may confuse it for an Agility boosting move so it's hard to say for certain. I can't think of many good options for it.

Help Request Spread Animation Lines
Sadly, most of these are in a similar boat to your :VenusStar: Grand Forest idea, although :JupiterStar: Fresh Breath and :MarsStar: Blue Flame would be among the easier code edits to do.

:JupiterStar: Fresh Breath = This could be set up like a Ply/Wish variant, requiring some code edits and a palette assignment but otherwise being essentially a new Child ID piggybacking off of existing code (like several other code edit ideas I have raised).

:MarsStar: Blue Flame = You could approach this like my Water Dragon suggestion; palette swap of maybe the Fire line, where everything up to the palette swap is newly written code and then you just link it to what already exists.

:MercuryStar: Snow = It's not ideal but that could work. What I said about Force (nothing existing except for a custom series I made for GS2) applies here too.

Other
:VenusStar: Lift = This doesn't really have any viable options I can think of. Also drawing blanks for effects.

:JupiterStar: Air Shell = This can work but I'm not sure if it's necessary if you already have Ward. Maybe if you can differentiate it somehow (different range or power)?

:JupiterStar: Psyseal/ Time Rend = I'd just keep Bind with its normal animation and maybe work something else out for Time Rend, since any appearance of the "seal" graphic is likely to confuse people when not used for sealing. Could always use Confuse for Time Rend and leave it at that.

:MercuryStar: Leech/Drain Fang = The vanilla Drain Fang, combined with lack of options for variants means it'll be hard to sort out. You could just give them all the same animation but then it might be less fun for people who play (since they won't feel substantially different from one another). Maybe try to work out a palette swap deal and/or new variant so that you can colour-code based on HP or PP and leave it at that?

The bigger issue I see is that you'll have to make HP/PP draining actually worth using. If they don't work consistently, or are too weak, then they won't see much use anyway; GS players are generally primed to shrug them off as garbage effects or else as a nice bonus when they deal damage.

:JupiterStar: Angel Heal = The big thing for me is how you differentiate it from the others while giving it an animation that fits the name. If Fresh Breeze is multi-target, then you could maybe make this one single target although you could also get away with just having Cure and Ply exist.

:MarsStar: Aura Share = You might be able to do something similar to what I suggested for Fresh Breeze and piggyback off of the healing animation code to add a new variant.

:VenusStar: Green Wood = Making it more plant-like would be nice, and also more effort than what Camelot did for their animations (the sprite swapping is cool but they're just Wish with a skin change). The downside is your only real option for what to use that is more plant-themed is just Cure. I guess having it be multi-target is something? In that case, you could swap to what I like to call "Spinny Orbs"; the same particles and palette as Cure, with the movement pattern of Restore.

:MarsStar: Warming Body = GS2 has Coal as a red swap of Zephyr, so trying to squeeze in a new variant could work for here.

:VenusStar: Earth Scan = If it's basically Reveal, then... you're kinda stuck with what the base game offers, none of which really fits the idea of the ability. I guess you could set up a new added effect to lower both Defence and Resistance together or something (see the unseen = reveal enemy weaknesses) but it's a bit of a stretch.

:MercuryStar: Aqua Orb = So, Reflect's animation is literally just Wish; there's no difference between them. That could work but I think it's too similar to Wish as it is, which could make things confusing for players if an enemy uses it. Tonic would be a better fit, and it wouldn't be used as a Djinni effect the visual will not show.

Well, that's about all I have for suggestions at the moment. I didn't comment on every idea, including some of the ones in your "Help Request" section, because I just can't think of anything to say about them or offer any ideas—at least in the context of GS1. I have some thoughts for a few ability lines if you make use of GS2 animations, including Animation Overhaul (i.e. hacked GS2) animations. I'll discuss them over Discord first and maybe post them here later if you'd like.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Drake baku

welp we might have talked on discord a bit more
but since there is soo much to discus... here I go again with my replies in here XD

I also will be giving more replies here then I did in discord haha

--------------------------------------------------------------

firstly I overlooked your first section XD
I should name any name changes I made are not random, and from memory there is only one ability that I changed the name off to match a theme while keeping it the same further XD

--------------------------

Opinion suggestions

:VenusStar: Tremor line = yeah that was the plan, as you know I plan to make an continuing with GS2, so naturally GM's Tremor's line will be directly connected to GMA's tremor bit XD

:JupiterStar: Slayer = Yeah I missed up with the description and was hoping that the name would be enough
unless stated all of these are psynergies (I think only Rainbow was not XD)
the concept is an direct attack infused with psynergy with a chance to fell
but when I learned of Dagger Rain, I figured that works as well, slaying by raining daggers on the enemy (and in GMA it has the option to evolve with the right class in a group target version, so dagger rain there works just as fine (even a bit dull animation update wise, its function grows enough that its noticeable)

:MercuryStar: Water Star =, yeah Shuriken also exists, so the concept or untagging that pallet linked flag

:JupiterStar: Aura Sword and Claw = are indeed part of the same class so they will remain indeed XD

:MarsStar: Hell Hound = as discussed in discord, you really went off track here XD
I am actually still confused about this entire post XD

help request Doubt group
 :MercuryStar: Holy Water / :MarsStar: Molten Metal line = I am keeping douse and volcano, through if I am not mistaken Molten Metal, Lava Shower and Volcano are all in different classes, so I have to look into Douse x Holy water to ensure the classes at least does not have both or it becomes an issue XD

:MarsStar: Copper Ore line = Copper Ore is an line and its the ray in an wind seers ray to plasma setup XD

:MarsStar: Devils Deal = Ill consider it, cause yeah it does make perfect sense and makes it a bit less broken as well, but yeah its power levels is tricky... which is why I liked to have use the 7% pp recovery effect XD

:MarsStar: Force = firstly I like the idea of giving force an mutation form in GMA and use one of your overhaul animations  :heart:
for the current one... I just wonder a little about if from an energy blast with extended form in OW to go into soundwaves of circles.. its a tough one...
As for my reasoning why I made it a Mars option, cause in GS1 there never was an mars based utility option, I disliked it and figured Force works well as an mars path XD

:MarsStar: HammerForge = tbh I never even considered an hammer based animation, cause I know there are none, I guess I failed with explaining it again haha
but the general idea is an heavy blow attack

basically a blacksmith attack with his hammer imbued with the heat and power of a forge, great to shape metal or smash enemies XD

:MercuryStar: Water Dragon line = its a line so its tricky to only have an pallet changed dragon cloud BUT I admit to loving the idea, the entire pallet change path sounds like an very variable path ^^

:VenusStar: Toxic Sand/  :JupiterStar: Poison Air = Glad Poison Air works well ^^
As for Toxic sand, I actually like the idea presented, an venus type ice breath
I do begin to wonder if I got enough open slots for animation variants to add XD

Djinne set Glad to know they all work fine, you also mentioned in discord that like with smoke bomb, there are other arguments for a lot of the buffs and debuffs, which could perhaps be used here as well? it sounds so interesting to play with

Help Request Full help

:VenusStar: Land Divide = I should consider how far land divide would come across other classes that also have Gaia
but the idea is nicer then Quake XD

:VenusStar: grand forest = Grand forest is not a line, I try and always state when an psynergy is an line, an set (two instead 3) or if I just use the name it will either be a stand alone or one of those evolve with the right class setups
I have an reason I made this one, an item bestow psynergy (if need be ill explain more about this one in discord dm)

:MercuryStar: Cold line = its still cold now, not yet cool XD
Again the issue likely comes with conflict animations in a single class

:MarsStar: Cremate = ah yeah the part of the arguments that I was unaware of that existed XD
I have to ask, what does smoke bomb 2 actually appear as?

:MarsStar: Flame Arm = I am using Planet Diver in a new psynergy called Hell Blast
did I forget to list that one??
So I will have to look into mighty press XD
then again as long as Hell Blast and Flame Arm dont show up on the same class...

:MarsStar: Fume line + Split = yeah that feel issue is a thing.... while the upside is that when the game switches to GMA, I can use the actual animations, so it would be a single game issue, the issue is still pretty high...
it would be one of the reasons that i feel like.. try and rip the animations or download from that spriters resource site and alter them to load them in the game as lower versions....
same with Laser yeah...

:JupiterStar: Breaker = somewhere in my mind I have this little nagging feeling that I might have read something about that... but I cannot remember anything about it so I am pretty curious to how to use this cause it sounds very cool to play with

:MercuryStar: Blood Point = Bloodpoint actually has no real concept, I see in my beta data that I had considered the animation of Headbutt, likely cause of the animation effect outside of the attack XD
however its a self target ability, so you get the animation effect and a get hurt blow I guess, which makes sense, even if it does not deal damage, the sensation of raising your stats by controlling your inner blood flow would be painful XD

otherwise I guess something like an red overlay that flikkers a few times...

:JupiterStar: Angel Wings = I can see Zypher work, instead of boosting agility it allows a second action next turn, but both are considered fast movement setup XD

Help Request Spread line

:JupiterStar: Fresh Breath line = Pallet swapped Wish sounds interesting XD

:MarsStar: Blue Flame line = I would consider Flare line more with a blue pallet swap
also was there not an unused animation of blue flames?
could it be a line by chance XD

:MercuryStar: Snow Line = I got to ask, if were talking about pallet swaps, would there be an white path to setup for a break clone?

Other
 :VenusStar: Lift = I began thinking, since I am not using: dull, weaken or impair animations... maybe there is an option to lore wise explain Lift to match one of those effects and thus animation XD

:JupiterStar: Air Shell set = it would be the first access to ward effect actually... ward itself does not exist, magic shell does and then there is angel guard (which is in set with Angel Blade, an ward + attack buff set) one is high level, the other is a trickier class to get, so in that sense its already different I guess XD
I can always list its stats if needed

:JupiterStar: Psyseal / Time Rend = Never considered confusion as I looked for what matched my ideas in mind, but your suggestions work ^^

:MercuryStar: Leech/ Drain Fang + Plasma Leech / Blood Drain = yeah I guess a pallet swap makes sense, cause yeah 3 fang types and currently 4 fangs XD
and yeah I know these need an update, which is 1. why they got an power upgrade, 2. if I can an accuracy update, 3. why they can evolve into higher forms with the right class upgrade
also one we could discuss further in discord to update them all to be more useful

:JupiterStar: Angel Heal Line = oh yeah this line is a single target to cover the Fresh Breath as jupiter's group
I gave all 4 elements a single heal line, a group heal line and an revive XD

:MarsStar: Aura Share =
 :VenusStar: Green Wood = with these two, I wonder, the spinny orbs seem interesting to use with Green wood or the unused orb animations, if one of them could be colored red, then use that as aura share??
both are group healers at least ^^

:MarsStar: Warming Body = seems good XD

:VenusStar: Earth Scan = I love this idea, would need some aid to do this but I love it
the animation then could also work from weaken I think XD

:MercuryStar: Aqua Orb = yeah too similar...I will consider tonic ^^

--------------------------------

Sucks for the ones even you had issues with but I can understand it ^^
actually I wonder if you even considered unused options with this list?

Also I noticed that a lot of gaps were part of not knowing which abilities and animations I do keep and which dont or reuse elsewhere
So should I perhaps list all names and animations chosen for an better guide?
then it would perhaps be clearer and questions can be asked about them as well  :happy: