News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

SMF

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 23, October, 2009, 08:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A possibilty in relocating forums soon? What do you think about Simple Machines?

I like it, please, let us move there.
0 (0%)
I like it, but please lets wait a while before moving again.
0 (0%)
I like it, because it is open source.
0 (0%)
No thanks, I'm tired of moving.
1 (33.3%)
No thanks omgforum is better.
0 (0%)
No thanks, I simply do not want to go there.
0 (0%)
Nuetral Vote, I do not have an opinion.
2 (66.7%)
Other- please post.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Tell me what you think about this open-source Forum.

Here, you can get your own host as long as it follows the requirements. Simple Machineshas two rules,

They are:

1. No modifying the copyright.

2. No redistributing without written premission.

Other than that, the rules that you will have to worry about are with the host and the Admin (Atrius ofcourse)

Usually it is best listingPros and Cons before making a final decision.

Pros:
-Open-source
-Free
-You can edit Post Count.
-You canaautomatically install third-part mods.
- Etcetera.

Cons:
- We will miss omgforum (ofcourse not really, we haven't been here long enough.)
-Atrius will have to go and take a while on setting it up.
- Charon might have to go and add a thousand smileys again.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Charon

NO

I AM NOT ADDING THE SMILIES AGAIN

NO NO NO NO NO

D:<

Actually, we just moved, I'm not too fond of moving AGAIN. Although SMF is very reliable and is probably the best of the three we have...

Well, you do not have to add them all at one time.

You can do the 10 most wanted per day, or something.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Charon

I guess we could try it. But I really don't agree because we just moved ._.

Another Archive, I guess XP

Ah!, okay.Well we can decide the new forums next year (if there is going to be one, but it is y'alls choice.), when it reaches the anniversary once AGAIN, and therefore that information for new features will be moved to the new forums that day.. and... well you get the idea...

EDIT: And if he does decide to do it one day, he has all this time to make it as perfect as it can be and surprise us all. (Aw, how nice!)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Sajin

I don't understand why people don't like omgforums. We just moved, now there's already "move again" thoughts? I think it's a waste of time (well, for Atrius and Charon at least). I think we should just remain here.

Atrius (He/Him)

What if I were somehow able to copy all of the posts from the old forums onto the new ones?  Would that change anyone's minds?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

Maybe... we have only been here for about 20 so days so it shouldn't be too hard.

Should I make another theme or should I just keep the mars one? I was thinking about doing Mercury... :3

Blue's a nice colour on the eyes, and the Mercury set/standby icons are easier to differentiate.

Okay, with that, when you put a poll up for Which theme is best, I wonder if no one will vote Mars. I will probably vote Jupiter and Salanewt will probably vote Mercury.

And about the idea of grouping all theseposts, I like that. But also, I was trying to see if I would be able to upload smileys at Simple Machines... But it doesn't appear like it, or atleast, I do not know how. But creating the function would be possible too, I think?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Charon

Actually...

Wait, doesn't SMF have multiple theme support?

It sounds like it... But I will have to see if I can make any custom ones....

PROFILE -> MODIFY PROFILE -> LOOK AND LAYOUT

The first one is:

Current Theme.

I see 4 avialable themes.

Forum or Board Default

SMF Default Theme - Core

Classic YaBB SE Theme

Babylon Theme

EDIT: Ignore the links, I copied and pasted.

Edit again: Yes, you can add themes by simply downloading them and installing them.

ADMIN -> CONFIGURATION-> THEMES AND LAYOUT

It is recommended to Create a new theme with default layout (At the bottom) and go from there. (Click the link you see after the install.)

Knowing that you have used SMF before, you probably already knew this.

EDIT AGAIN!!!!!

You can upload smileys, I only forgot to put a check beside Enable customized smileys and save.

Edit: And you can give Global Moderator premission to manage smileys :)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Sajin

I agree with Salanewt, we should wait for some time. I bet most of us here still aren't used to omgforums. Also, if the problems seem like they are gone, no point in hating/disliking this forum, right?

Atrius (He/Him)

There's no point in waiting till we're used to omgforums to move really.  Why spending the time to get used to it before moving somewhere unfamiliar again?

Besides, I've been tinkering with a tool that automatically downloads & converts topics from the old forums to a format that can be inserted into an SMF database, and the results are promising.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Well, I will support another move as long as it is hopefully better than;

OMG:

Omitting
Members for
Good

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

I'm currently experimenting with an SMF forum. I'll post a link later.

In my opinion, it may be better than OMG, the onlyproblem I canthink of is, the SMILEY setup...... .... I can't seem to see the other sets when posting.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

I do NOT want to move all my topics again!  I have discussed this several times, that it is VERY annoying to redo a whole wall of text, even with copy+paste.  Transferring topics is NOT fun, and guess who's gonna have to do it when we move again?

GUESS WHO?  THE SAME PERSON AS LAST TIME, THAT'S WHO!

Jeez, I didn't even want to move the first time for the same reason I don't wanna move now - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The annoying DNS errors everyone seems to get are annoying, but that's it.  They don't make the place broken, just kind of irritating when it happens.

Please, I'm tired of moving.  We JUST moved, I don't wanna do it again.

Salanewt

Hm... I partially agree, and partially disagree with you Role.

Anyway, if you do not want to move topics, then I can do it.

As for DNS errors... Not sure how to respond to that, so...

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: RoleI do NOT want to move all my topics again!  I have discussed this several times, that it is VERY annoying to redo a whole wall of text, even with copy+paste.  Transferring topics is NOT fun, and guess who's gonna have to do it when we move again?

GUESS WHO?  THE SAME PERSON AS LAST TIME, THAT'S WHO!

Wrong, they'll already be there waiting for you this time.

Rolina

...Really?  You really mean it?

:heart: :heart:

Okay, if I don't have to do all that work all over again, then I'm game!