News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Salanewt's (and yours) World Map sprites!

Started by Salanewt, 27, October, 2009, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Oh, hello everyone! Looking at Role's topic, I was thinking of asking about world map icons. However, I think it would be better if things to do with the world map remained separate from item and psynergy icons.

Also, you may post textures for world maps as well (by textures, I mean the trees or the mountains that you see on the world map (for example, normal vs. snowy, etc.)).

QuoteEdit By Role: For those who desire it, here's a set of more in-depth sprites, including the first six palette swaps (up to grayscale) in case you need it. It's too large for an image site to handle in a single pic, so stitch them together on your own time.

Part 1, Part 2

Also, remember that the ABSOLUTE limit for sprites is 64x64 pixels. There's also 32x32 pixel sprites. It's either one or the other, or a mix of the two, but nothing in between from what I can tell. As such, keep the images that size, even when you post them. If it's 16x16, it doesn't go in this thread. Make sure the png files you post are either 32x32, 32x64, 64x32, or 64x64 and that the sprite inside is NOT TOUCHING THE EDGES OF THE IMAGE. Dunno why, but sprites tend to follow that rule... So you could say the real size limit is, 30x30, 30x62, 62x30, or 62x62 with a 1 pixel border around the whole image...

That is all, Role out.
I have removed the spritesheet image from here, because Role was kind enough to get all of these other sprites for us.

Have a nice day.

[spoiler=World Map Sprites]
Autumn Wood

Barren Beach

Lunos Bluffs

Misty Falls

The Shipyard

Viva Volcano A

Viva Volcano B

Sol Lighthouse

Anemos City

Frigid Glacier

Frozen Wastelands

Fungi Forest

Arctic Icebergs

Peach's Castle

Mushroom Settlement

[/spoiler]

I hope you all like it. By the way, this icon should follow the limited palette rule (if these are the correct colours), as should your icons if you make any.

Have a nice day.

Edit again: Here are some descriptions of how I made these icons. The next icons will be included here and in my post.

Although Paint (that comes with the computer) does kind of suck, it has a useful ability to be able to ignore one colour when moving on top of another (if I choose to). I only did this with Autumn Wood though, since the only thing that I did there was to swap colours.

For Misty Falls, I copied the waterfall on the right side of the second icon. Next, I copied it again, and then once more, but the last copy is a mirror. I then joined the mirrored waterfalls together, and changed some of the pixels so it does not look symmetrical. Next, I made the darker pixels near the source of the water lighter, and made it look like the water came from elsewhere by adding more bluish pixels on top of the tree-cliff (that is what it looks like). Next, I filled in the gap between the first waterfall and the new waterfall with random cliff pixels, and then I drew over some of the green pixels near the bottom with water ones.

The Lunos Bluffs are a combination of Idejima beach and the sixth location on the spritesheet.

The Barren Beach is a rotated Idejima beach, partially edited to look better.

Okay, you can see where the large ships came from, right? Well, the mast on the ship is broken, so I rotated it and put it on top of the one ship. The smaller boats are 100% custom (which is why I kept them small). I forgot to mention that Paint's ability to be able to completely recolour any one colour can also be used to put sprites on top of other sprites if they both have the same background colour.

Both versions of Viva Volcano were built from Lemuria and colours of Magma Rock + the Ship.

For Sol Lighthouse, I took the (possibly) beta version of Mars Lighthouse, as well as Jupiter Lighthouse. After stretching Jupiter Lighthouse' arms, I attached them to the beta Mars Lighthouse (yet in a way so they would be in between the four normal arms). I then heightened the hind arms of the lighthouse, and then I swapped all of the orange(-like) colours with the colours of the Temple (forget the exact name, but it is in Indra).

Anemos City (which I think needs to be renamed) has taken the most amount of time to make. Basically, I took Lemuria (and the Cave sprite, which was flipped upside down), and I worked on some major recolouring (as well as reducing the amount of cliffs). To make it special, severely reduced versions of the Moon (what I call the land mass with the city), and made them surround Anemos City. One of these little floating islets has a lake, which can help for how this civilization has lived for so long. I hope you all like it! This one if my favourite, but I am planning on making a "darker" version, just in case the sprite is due to change at certain flags.

Frigid Glacier is a recoloured Magma Rock. However, the colours come from both Imil and Prox' palettes.

This place is basically a whole collection of Frigid Glaciers (of Various sizes). When I made this one though, I (for some strange reason) used a bunch of Magma Rocks that were not recolours. However, I like the end result, so...

Fungi Forest was made with the village on one place (Champa?) and the mushrooms came from modified Kibombo houses. I also added some more dark green pixels on the ground to give both the illusion of more undergrowth + shade.

For the Arctic Icebergs, I basically took several modified copies of the Frozen Wastelands, and I kept piling them on top of each other. I then made them surrounded by blue water pixels. Actually, it looks like this sprite would work on the world map (like the actual world map that you view when viewing the entire map), but I am sure that it could work for either one.

Peach's Castle... It was once Lemuria. After making the basic design, I stretched it, and added its new surroundings.

Hm... I swear that it looks more like it belongs on the World Map...

Some recommended tools are PhotoSuite/Photoshop, and Paint (Paint is pretty good when trying to replace all of a single colour in a picture, or when trying to place an entire sprite on top of another (since PhotoSuite does not have it)).

Have a nice day.

Thanks Role! The new images will help out much more.

Coming soon: Plasmic Plains, and more...
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Here is that palette if anyone wants it:

The first color is transparent.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Atrius? Thank you very much for the palettes. It would be nice to have instead of just searching for colours on the other location sprites.

Hm... I think I shall make some more icons soon.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Frog

They all look really good, especially Misty falls.
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Rolina

Huh... these are waaaaay more complex than the smaller icons... I'm gonna make a sprite sheet + workspace that includes the palette swaps so that it's a bit easier to work with.  It's gonna be HUUUGE, though, so I won't post the image itself, but rather a link to it, so that no page stretching occurs.

Also, Salanewt, do you mind posting how you made the various icons?  Sure, some are obvious, but others aren't.  It'd be helpful for those of us who may need tips on how to work with things (which is why I post what I did with my sprites).

Salanewt

Thanks Frog, glad you like them.

Okay Role. I will add these to the post, but I will tell you how I made one or two of them in this post.

Although Paint (that comes with the computer) doeskkind of suck, it has a useful ability to be able to ignore one colour when moving on top of another (if I choose to). I only did this with Autumn Wood though, since the only thing that I did there was to swap colours.

For Misty Falls, I copied the waterfall on the right side of the second icon. Next, I copied it again, and then once more, but the last copy is a mirror. I then joined the mirrored waterfalls together, and changed some of the pixels so it does not look symmetrical. Next, I made the darker pixels near the source of the water lighter, and made it look like the water came from elsewhere by adding more blue-ish pixels on top of the tree-cliff (that is what it looks like). Next, I filled in the gap between the first waterfall and the new waterfall with random cliff pixels, and then I drew over some of the green pixels near the botton with water ones.

The Lunos Bluffs are a combination of Idejima beach and the sixth location on the spritesheet.

The Barren Beach is a rotated Idejima beach, partially edited to look better.

Have a nice day.

Edit: A new location: The Shipyard

Okay, you can see where the large ships came from, right? Well, the mast on the ship is broken, so I rotated it and put it on top of the one ship. The smaller boats are 100% custom (which is why I kept them small). I forgot to mention that Paint's ability to be able to completely recolour any one colour can also be used to put sprites on top of other sprites if they both have the same background colour.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Ah.  Well, the first thing I'll probably be doing are some recolors to get used to it... given the higher amount of colors, the detail is much greater, thus even recoloring can be a pain... If I can't get that done, I might as well stop, since joining together two differently colored sprites (like, say, to complete babi's tower) requires recoloring.

First things you can expect from me are:

4 elemental towers
Post-Dawn Rocks (basically, the elemental rocks after alchemy has been released)

The recolor on the rocks will probably be more subtle, so you'd have to look closely, but the towers will be noticeably different than the sprites from which they're based.

Edit:

Hey, guys, if you're not sure about colors, or are trying to hybridize colors or something, here's the safety values and their corresponding ranges.

0 (  0- 28)
 56 ( 29- 84)
112 ( 85-144)
176 (145-200)
224 (201-236)
248 (237-255)

What's a safety value?  These are values that all three color values, Red, Green, and Blue seem to be able to use.  If you try to do a 'hybridized' color, and use the calculator to mix two shades together, match the resulting value into the corresponding range to get the value you need, and as such, you'll be able to find the color you have to use.

Edit 2:  Yeah... about those recolors?  ...that's NOT going how I thought it would.  It looks great in pure-hybrid colors, in "values only as multiples of 8" colors, but looks like CRAP when you use the closest values in the palette restriction.  Huh... *goes back to figuring out how to fix this dilemma...*

Salanewt

Okay, thanks Role. I am looking forward to the lighthouses and rocks. I noticed that Camelot failed to find a need for a Volcano, so I am about to make one based on Lemuria.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Okay then, here are two alternate images of Viva Volcano:

Viva Volcano A

Viva Volcano B

Have a nice day.

Edit 2: I just realised that there are indeed some locations that are still missing. I will try to rip them myself soon, but they include the following:

Horse Wagons (I suppose this counts, first Golden Sun, a bit east of Vale),
Lemurian Ship (second Golden Sun),
Rowing Ship (first Golden Sun, Karagol Sea),
Great Gabomba (second Golden Sun, Gondowan),

And... If I am forgetting any, then please remind me.

Oh yeah, I took another look at the links, thank you so much Role!

Edit 3: Okay, here is a new Lighthouse this time.

Sol Lighthouse

Charon

Those are some great overworld sprites, Salanewt. Once we get sprite insertion running, we should definitely have you drawing the sprites. Of course, you'll need to base them off of our (and your own, of course) locations, heh heh heh...

Salanewt

Thanks for the compliment! This is true. However, these sprites will hopefully work as examples, or can be renamed if the sprite works, but not the name.

By the way, I know that we have hardly discussed places that will be in the game other than the Anemos, but do we have any ideas for sprites that will most likely work (which reminds me of a place that I should work on).

Have a nice day.

Edit: I forgot to add something. I will be happy to make sprites for the overworld if you so wish.

Rolina

Hey, salanewt, check the images I edited into the first post, they should help you quite a bit. :happy:

As for the wagon, I say don't bother with it for now, since it's a multi-direction sprite.  They should probably get another thread, dunno.

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Make sure the png files you post are either 64x64 or 32x32, and that the sprite inside is NOT TOUCHING THE EDGES O THE IMAGE. Dunno why, but sprites tend to follow that rule... So you could say the real size limit is 62x62 or 30x30x, with a 1 pixel border around the whole image...
I can't think of any reason that would cause a problem.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Oh yeah, you are right Role... Thanks again!

I know how they can help me with one or two Polar (/Arctic, and more) locations, but I am making one that will hopefully look good enough to be really high... And that is the only clue you all get.

Have a nice day.

By the way, the Polar locations will take me less time than this one, so I want to get it over with for now.

Edit: I forgot to ask... Atrius? Are these also limited to a 16 colour palette (or rather, 16 colours for each sprite)?

Edit 2: If 64 x 64 and 32 x 32 are possible, then it is okay to have 64 x 32, right (I think that the answer is yes, but I just want to double check).

Edit 3: The hardest one for me to make yet: Anemos City (if the Anemos is the ancient civilization, then we need a different name for their city).

Anemos City

Edit 4: I have decided that this version of Anemos City is only a beta sprite. I have a better plan for what the sprite should be, and I hope that all of you will like the next version better than this one. The next one, I am expecting, will be multiple 64 x 64 sprites, each of which can be combined in the game to be a giant sprite.

Edit 5: I really like the beta Anemos City though, but... Actually, I think that it will work. Now to remove the "Beta" part from the name.

Before, I was thinking that it should be larger, looking at the crater. However, why can't the Moon erode over time without Alchemy, just like Weyard was? So... Now to work on a polar/arctic level... Soon. I might have to go to bed though.

Edit 6: Okay, here is my latest location: Frigid Glacier.

Have a nice day.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hmm... why not a snow theme for the Great Gabomba ?

It would probably look like a statue.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Hm... Okay then. I shall make a large frozen statue. With that, I will host Plasmic Plains.

Have a nice day.

Charon

For 64x32, why not just make it 64x64 if it's too hard to make it its original dimensions?

Also, there's no problem with having a sprite touch the edges. Plenty of my sprites do so in Jupiter. It's most likely a "clean-up" rule, forcing the artist to ensure that the sprite is not square shaped and natural looking.

Salanewt

Hm... I know that I said that a frozen statue was on its way along with Plasmic Plains, but I wanted another frozen place to add...

Frozen Wastelands

This place is basically a whole collection of Frigid Glaciers (of Various sizes). I think that they both look nice if put near each other (or maybe a few Glacier sprites surrounding the Wastelands).

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

I imagine 64x32 would work perfectly fine, but 66x71, really now?  It's not even a multiple of 8.

Charon

Yeah, a sprite's dimensions must be a multiple of 8.

Try squishing it a little so that it fits under a 64x64 sprite.

Salanewt

What? Which sprite is 66x71? When I measured it in my program, it showed that it was something by 64... Perhaps you are also looking at the empty space? If not, then it is my program. I will fix it soon.

If dimensions are too small, then they can always be stretched (sort of), right?

Oh yeah, I have another sprite, but I will not post it until after I fix this next one.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Okay, here is the resized Frozen Wasteland:

And here is...

Fungi Forest

Fungi Forest was made with the village on one place (Champa?) and the mushrooms came from modified Kibombo houses.

Have a nice day.

Edit 2: To add to this, it turns out that the width was correct, at 66, but the extended height was just the space above and below the sprite.