News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Salanewt's (and yours) World Map sprites!

Started by Salanewt, 27, October, 2009, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Is 36 divisible by 8, Salanewt? >_>

Resize it to 40x40. Just the picture size - not the actual graphic. Make sure you center your graphic though.

Salanewt

Oh yeah, sorry. I was not paying attention to the dimensions of the image when I pasted it in the other file.

I shall edit it now.

Have a nice day.

Edit: It looks like several of my older icons are off, but only because of spacing... Can't the spacing be corrected by the time they need ot be used?

Edit 2: Finally, I managed to fix them... Also, I just discovered that I can stretch the screen without stretching the image... If I had only known about that before.

Edit 3: I have an alternate version to the Frozen Wasteland.

Arctic Icebergs

I basically took several modified copies of the Frozen Wastelands, and I kept piling them on top of each other. I then made them surrounded by blue water pixels. Actually, it looks like this sprite would work on the world map (like the actual world map that you view when viewing the entire map), but I am sure that it could work for either one.

Hm... I swear that it looks more like it belongs on the World Map...

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Since ALL of the official location sprites for the world map are 32x32 you should probably try to stick to that.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

True, but can't there be some exceptions at times? Besides, most of the official icons are pretty normal sized.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

I would just shrink and trim, to be honest. Since the sprites are stretched, they'd probably look a lot bigger than their supposed to XD

Salanewt

That is a good idea, but with the programs that I use, a lot of detail can be lost if shrinking by even one or two pixels (much more detail than I would prefer).

Have a nice day.

Edit: I am going to take a break from these for a few days, but I think that I have a nice selection of them, right?

However, for the hack, I do have an idea... I know that most of the standard sprites are 32 x 32, right? Well, how about we remove the standard, since this will hopefully allow for some diversity on the world map, and might make it look a bit more attractive (hard to say until the time comes though).

Rolina

Atrius, the elemental lighthouses would like to have a word with you.  They're 32x64.

Salanewt:  Like I edited into your first post, there's four and ONLY four sizes you can use:  32x32, 32x64, 64x32, and 64x64.  Please use only those sizes.  Even if there's a lot of extra room left over, this is the size limit.

- Mushroom Forest
- Mushroom Forest V2

The mushroom forest was based on the the in-game palette swaps for the Gondowan Cliffs (at least, I think that's what it is).  I saw it, and said:  "Huh, those look like mushrooms...".  Then Salanewt made a "Fungus Forest" area.  So I made the forest for him. ^-^

The first one is size 64x64, the second is made to fit 32x32.

Salanewt

Okay, thank you for these icons Role.

I have sizes that are different than those? I thought I fixed them all, since I remember spending a lot of my icon making time correcting them...

Oh well, thank you once again.

Have a nice day.

Gondowan Cliffs, huh? I never thought about using them for anything. Your Forest icons look pretty good.

Edit:
Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 29, October, 2009, 07:21:00 PM

Is 36 divisible by 8, Salanewt? >_>

Resize it to 40x40. Just the picture size - not the actual graphic. Make sure you center your graphic though.

I thought that any value for dimensions were okay as long as it was a multiple of 8? Oh well, can't the ones that are too large for 32 x 32 be placed in 64 x 64 later? I am a bit busy with trying to program Paragoomba in Mario and Luigi.

Rolina

Let's keep to what we have precedent of.  Values of 32 and 64 only for picture's dimensions.

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Yeah, I can see why dimensions might want to be kept at either 32 or 64 (but am still confused about it, what exactly would be the difference between a 40x40, and a 40x40 sprite in a 64x64 box?). Anyway, I will work on converting them later, since it should be very easy in reality (all that has to be done is to place them in empty boxes with larger dimentions). However, to be honest, I do not feel like correcting right now. When the time comes when we can insert them into the hack, I will correct any sprites that are not sized correctly then.

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

It's just the way the GBA handles sprites, it greatly prefers the following resolutions:

8x8
16x16, 16x8, 8x16
32x32, 32x16, 16x32, 32x8, 8x32
64x64, 64x32, 32x64

Sajin

Wow, very nice works Salanewt! They look like very professional-made.
(I didn't notice this thread until now...  :Sweat:)

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 05, November, 2009, 08:11:01 PM
It's just the way the GBA handles sprites, it greatly prefers the following resolutions:

8x8
16x16, 16x8, 8x16
32x32, 32x16, 16x32, 32x8, 8x32
64x64, 64x32, 32x64

Expanding on this, I say that we should stick to four sizes for location sprites.  KISS - Keep it simple, stupid.
That's why I suggested the 32x32, 32x64, 64x32, and 64x64 image sizes.  If we keep it nice and regular like this, it means less work when we go to actually insert it into the game.

Salanewt

Thanks Sajin! Anyway, I will probably make more in a few days. When the next batch is released, I shall resize the current ones. I also have one or two sprites that I have finished a while ago, but I have been keeping them secret (because I want to improve them badly).

Have a nice day.

Oh yes, I promised Plasmic Plains, right? I suppose I can release it right now, right?

Plasmic Plains

Plasmic Plains. Unless something is messed up, this should be 32x32. Also, I am planning on making a revised one on the future, but only because I know that I can do better... This is good for starting from scratch though, right?

Edit: Actually, it looks pretty good. Of course, it is better if it goes in an empty area. Also, the grass could be darker... I suppose version 2 of the Plasmic Plains will be a tiny bit darker.

Edit 2: I suppose I can give a small description of the area. After long periods of time, between erosion, mining, and storms... Well, the unearthed metal is attracting electrical energy.

Rolina

How'd you go about making it?  It looks familiar...

Salanewt

Oh yeah, I forgot... It is from scratch, but I removed everything from Kolima (Village) to replace it with land. After making it look more like land that you might find on the world map, I then added two very tiny Gaia Rocks to it, and I recoloured most of the rocks. I also added very small grey lines sticking out of the ground to represent metal rods. The colours for the plasma were based on the psynergy icon, Plasma, but I found lighter shades in the palette, so I used them.

I will add both the icon and the description to the first post when I make the next batch.

Have a nice day.

suzumebachi

Those are all very nice! I agree, MS Paint has it's advantages: it's not squishy and stuff, like GIMP is, for one... (I hate how GIMP likes to change my colors...... but anyways...)

Is that palette only for overworld sprites, by the way? I know I was given a face-portrait palette, but I lost it somewhere.. XD

Salanewt

Hm... I think portraits use the same palette set, but they can only use up to 16 of the colours. I do not know if world map sprites are limited, but I am limiting the colours that I used to be safe.

Have a nice day, and thank you.

Atrius (He/Him)

Face portraits palettes are stored with them, they each have their own, there is no predefined palette for them.

World map sprites can as many of the colors in this predefined palette as they need.

This palette is also for all overworld sprites and character/enemy sprites in battle.