News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Weyard vs. Earth SImilarities

Started by Salanewt, 26, October, 2009, 05:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hello everyone! Has anyone else noticed that some places in Weyard are similar to Earth (somwhat, either by name or by settings)?

Air's Rock is based on Ayer's Rock, Chile is a country in South America, and I have a theory that the Tea of Time is based on the Bermuda Triangle (I do have doubts, but both are/were supposedly very bad for ships, many having been or could have been lost in them).

Also, Jamie pointed out that Indra is based on a town/city in India.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

This has been known for quite a long time, actually.  It's why Kyomizu in my fic is based on an actual place in Japan.

Did you know that the Izumo story actually is part of Japanese Lore?  The Serpent is actually Orochi in Japan, and the Cloud Brand is known as the Murakamo no Tsurugi...  Look it up.

Salanewt

Cool. Anyway, I think I will rename the topic from Geography to Similarities.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Sajin

Actually, Weyard is almost identical to Earth.
Gondowan=Africa
Indra=India (even the name is similar)
Osenia=Australia (Oceania)
Angara=Europea and some Asia
Hesperia=North America (Indians)
Atteka=South America
Thundaria=Antartic
Izumo=Japan
Prox/Mars Lighthouse=Greenland.
Also, the oceans are very similar as well.

EDIT: http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Weyard

Salanewt

Oh yeah, you are right. I did notice the similarities between Tundaria, Indra, and Gondowan, but my brain was telling me that Gondowan looked more like South America... However, now that you mention it, Africa does seem more suiting.

Have a nice day.

Sajin

Yes, also Kibombo and Naribwe have "African" sound-alike tune to them. And don't forget they live in tribes (atleast it looks like the case) and have a darker skin.

Salanewt

That is also true. However, this only seems to be in southern Gondowan.

Have a nice day.

Sajin

But in north Africa you don't see tribes as well. Or at least not as much as you see in the Southern parts.

Salanewt

Very true. I wonder though... Wait, which continent represented North America again? Hesperia? This actually makes sense, with the natives there.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

IIRC, the old world was quite similar to Pangaea, and Lemuria is similar to Atlantis, as well as the continent by the same name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuria_(continent)

Salanewt

Yes, this is true. Also, Lemuria is a mythilogical sunken continent on earth, and was thought to only be a legend in Golden Sun.

Which reminds me... Did I mention for a Plot Hole that Felix and co. had the map of the how the continents were arranged in the second game, yet the continents were closer together in the first one? Now I think that this is a serious plot hole, lol.

Have a nice day.

Sajin

What do you mean? The map they have is correct.
Or are you talking about the map King Hydros shows them?

suzumebachi

I remember thinking that the Dehkan Plateau (or however it's spelled) is similar to one in India. and Madra reminded me of a different town.... *forgot all her 6th grade geograpy XD)

Sajin

"The name Dehkan Plateau is a play on the real-world Deccan Plateau, a large plateau in the center of India that separates the northern and southern areas."
You can find your answer here: http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Dehkan_Plateau
Man, wiki really has answers for every question...

Salanewt

Well, I was considering the second map that King Hydros showed. The first one was a moon.

Have a nice day.

Sajin

The moon shaped shaped map was from Lunpa right?
And the second, more actuallized, was made from scratch by king Hydros and Lunpa.

Salanewt

Hm... Something like that. I thought that the second map is what Lunpa had, and the first map was what had been around in Lemuria for a while. I forget some of these minor details though, so I shoul dplay again sometime soon.

Also, the edge of the world thing... People used to believe that the Earth was flat, and that it had edges. They also believed in the four element rule for Earth, so I think that Golden Sun is somewhat based on the past.

Have a nice day.

suzumebachi

I think it was the... argh, this was in my geometry textbook.... Platonic solids, named after that guy, Plato. Apparently, everything was made out of little atoms, in the shapes of these 5 regular polyhedra... I only remember that the 4-sided polyhedron (forgot it's name) was for fire (triangular faces) and the 6-sided one, hexahedron? was earth. One of them was the 21-sided one.... and the 5th one was the aether/"cosmos" according to my textbook. We had to put together a bunch of nets, but learning about that was fun XP

Rolina

They were: Tetrahedron, Cube/Hexahedron, Octahedron, Dodecahedron, and Icosahedron.  Also known as: d4, d6, d8, d12, and d20!

Earth was associated with the cube, air with the octahedron, water with the icosahedron, and fire with the tetrahedron.

Basically:

Fire: d4
Earth: d6
Air: d8
Water d12

That leaves Aether, the theoretical fifth element with d20, but it's never actually assigned to it, from what I've read.

suzumebachi

To say one thing, Camelot really liked incorporating Greek Mythology into the game. Well, mythology and ideas in general. Like the 5 elements (Alex mentions at one point, the word "quintessential") . Several (if not to say most) of the weapons, summons, and releases are based on Greek mythology. The "flat Earth" was an idea made around the Mediterranean, if not in Greece itself.