News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Animals and Animal Rights

Started by Salanewt, 22, October, 2009, 07:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Here we go! Why not post what you think about Animals rights (whether it be about pets, farms, hunting, or anything else).

Okay, I like pets. I have a Betta Fish right now. I used to have a Bearded Dragon, but I wanted to keep my dog, named Samantha, so I gave him up. However, I couldn't keep Sammy anyway, so I lost both pets (Wah!). Unfortunately, I can not see either of them again. Sammy died near my mom's birthday (almost 9 years old, and she was starting to have problems (she was the runt of the litter, and always looked like an overgrown puppy/mini-poodle)), and I gave my lizard back to the store.

Oh yeah, this is my second fish, Yoshi 2 (but I just call him Yoshi). My Bearded Dragon was also named Yoshi, and if I get another pet... Probably to be named Yoshi again.

Anyway, I myself have a bow and arrows (some target arrows, some hunting arrows), but I doubt that I could kill any animal, even if my life depended on it. It is not that I am against it, it is just that I love them so much. However, I also love meat, so...

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Animals have the right to be digested in my stomach, worn on my back, tested on with various drugs and devices, and to be kicked if they get in my way.

UNLESS THEY'RE A PET.  Pets are family, and you don't mess with someone's family.  Eating a stray dog is one thing, but you don't kill and eat someone's pet dog.  That's like killing and eating a little sister.  You just DON'T DO IT.

Other than pets, though, we're at the TOP of the food chain, and I intend to make it known.

Salanewt

Hm... This is true, but... Doing mean things to animals that are in the wild or harming those that are not bred for being pets... Even I can't do that.

However, it would be nice if cat owners would keep their cats in their houses. Some of them do, but one of these days, their 'family' is going to get hit with a car, or something like that.

Oh, and I would most likely not touch endangered species, even if it meant that I would die of starvation (well, pretty much any animal actually...). However, if I must some day in the future, then I will target those that try to kill me.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

If a species becomes endangered, there's a reason.  Remember that thing called natural selection?  Yeah, if they're going to die, and it'd be my fault, then I'd be PROUD to be a shining example of evolution hard at work.

That's right, mook, FEAR MY SUPERIOR GENOME!

Salanewt

Yikes! I would hate to be the reason for a species being extinct... I'd probably kill myself if I were to be the reason for that.

It is a shame to see animals go if you think about it. I know that I have always dreamt of a world where we would see a Parrot in Parliament, hehe, or a Chimpanzee as our Prime Minister. This will most likely never happen, but at least I can dream.

Better yet, I take over the world, and make animals the top (hahaha)!

Have a nice day.

Edit: Now it looks like we are debating about something in an actual debate topic, lol.

Rolina

I'd rather not be ruled by food. >_>

Sajin

I don't have any pets because I don't really have time for having one and because my mother doesn't like pets at all but I would love to have a dog or a reptile (like an iguana or a chameleon)...Also I love meat and I would never became an vegeteriam unless it was a case of life or death.Despite this, animals are living beings, so they deserve respect even though most people don't care about them.
Also,about being a reason for a species being extinct... I would hate to be one but sadly we all are more or less passively or not a reason, isn't that right?
Ah, and Salanewt if you want help to take over the world I'll help you out xD

Salanewt

Role: Yeah, I am sure that this is what soem pets think of their owners too.

Sajin: Okay! Sounds like a plan. No wall we need are flashing strobe lights, preferably in different colours (heehee).

Have a nice day.

Frog

Well we are at the top of the food chain, and i'm sure any wild animal'd eat us if it had the chance!
I really don't see anything wrong with hunting wild animals for food as thats what us animals do.
(That doesn't mean you can go wipe out a whole species of bear just to "feed your family".)

Hunting animals for fun however, now i think that is completely wrong, same with animal testing.

Also I'd just like to make a min-rant here:
Killing wild cats or dogs for whatever purpose is in no way the same as shooting a domesticated animal!!

oh and despite all that i don't think i could ever bring myself to kill an animal...
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Charon

I don't agree with animal testing, but it's sort of a necessary evil. We need to make sure those products are safe for people. Heck, some people use such products on their pets as well!

It's a sacrifice on the animal's part to allow hundreds to be safe. Although, I don't think that in the process they should be purposely mistreated or tortured, because experimentation is torture enough. I think they should be treated as pets so they can still be happy. They should be considered heroes rather than throw away test dummies.

I fully support hunting, since it is something that as a species we do to survive. I don't agree with factory farming or anything even remotely similar to it, and whenever I can, I eat meats and eggs produced in places where they take care of their animals and let them roam freely - they're more expensive, but they're also less prone to disease and you know they lived a rather fulfilling life.

Animals do not exist as the sole purpose of them supporting us - we should serve a kind of symbiotic relationship in which the animal gives its love and work to the human in exchange for love and food in return.

Sajin

Eh, I totally forgot about this topic.
Being in the top of the food chain (although humans are pretty pathetic phisically speaking) IS the problem. I bet someday a crazy scientist invents some animal-controlling-machine-thing and drives the animals to kill everyone....Or not. :p
Hunting "for fun" is plain cruelty but killing some animals due to survival isn't that wrong I guess, but it isn't right either (e.g.: testing on animals).

Frog

Why do we need to use animals for testing? unless the research is about that particular animal of course.

People willing to volunteer for trials and stuff aren't too hard to find.

Of course then there's the 1% of things that no one would try...and i guess scientists have to resort to using an animal...
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Sajin

Well, it's not hard but people think like this "if you can test it on animals why test it on humans?". It's wrong but, hey, it's the world we live in.

Salanewt

Yeah, that is unfortunate.

Yes! Several people agree with me! Yay! Of course, I used to even dislike saqying this, but it is the truth. If food is needed, hunt for it (I prefer hunting for sales at stores though, lol).

For that 1%, scientists could find suicidal people for testing, and for the other 99%, it should be easy to find people who can volunteer (or get paid) to test products.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Or better yet, a new punishment for people in prisons... Test products for the innocent.

Sajin

Prisomers testing products for the innocent? That's a little unfair because you never know if a guy that goes to jail is 100% guilty. It happen already to some that were taken to death penalti and years after police discovers that they were innocent.
But I guess for the ones that are 100% sure that are guilty it's a fine treatment.

Salanewt

Yeah. Of course, it would also only be for a serious crime, if they can guarantee it. For example, a bank robbery or a murder: Yes. Several unpaid tickets: No.

Besides, I think that even some of these "innocent" people deserve them too (of course, only the innocent people who are not actually innocent).

Have a nice day.

Sajin

Hmmm...I think we got sidetracked Salanewt, because we're getting to Human rights and not Animal rights...
As far as I know, the Humans rights forbid the use of people as tools/objects, so I doubt about using the worst crazy pedophile serial killer to even test a new suine flu vaccine...Which is a shame, really. If he's gonna die anyway, what's the problem?

Well then, now On-topic:
In my country they just have forbidden the reproduction or aquisition of animals for circus, yay! Finally... Now they just need to forbid the stupid bull-killing-in-the-arena-thing (sorry, I don't know how to translate it to english...).

Salanewt

Well, if it is a name, then you do not have to translate it. Also, I know that by animals, we are staying away from humans, but we can talk about humans every once in a while (as long as it is only slightly). Anyway, now we shall stay away from Homo Sapiens for a while.

If hunting were illegalized, that would be perfect. Yes, people do need meat to survive, but that is why we are raising animals in captivity, and hunting the animals in nature takes away from their natural predators (or better yet, people could decide to become vegans, but fungi is kind of disgusting most of the time (all the time for me, yuck!)). I do like meat, but to think that in a different world, the meat hanging in butcher shops would be human meat.

Even then, don't most people believe in "the right to live"? Technically, every single multicellular creature on earth is a serial killer, especially humans. Like Hand Sanitizer? You are killing millions of bacteria, which are living things. Like meat? Killing something so you can have a good meal? That is what packs of wolves do. Want a pet? Unless it is bred 100% in captivity, and you know that it would never be able to survive in the wild, then you are keeping an animal caged up in your own home (and also, cats are indoor pets, not outdoor! They can be let outside, but their owners should really watch where the cats go).

Have a nice day.

Sajin

I doubt that hunting will be illegal since there are many people that gain profit with it (like tourism for example)...
I understand what you're saying but we kill tons of bacteria and the like but not with a concious of actually wanting to kill them, we simply wash our hands to prevent diseases...It's a lot different from going hunting for plain cruel fun.
If I were to get a pet tough, I wouldn't go buy one. I probably would go to the pound (not intirely sure about the word) and get a dog from there. It's like saving a life, right?
Ah, human meat? >_>  :um: :Sweat: Well, cannibals say that tastes like pig meat...

Salanewt

Yes, this is all true, and the pound is correct. Yes, even I wash my hands to prevent disease (however, I am fine with this because there are so many people who do not do this, lol).

However, I have noticed that they rarely have anything else besides mammals at the pound. When I got my dog, my mom purchased her because the breed of dog is harder to find (and also because when I saw her, I knew that she would be the one)... And talking about my dog is a bit off topic, that, and she passed away a little while ago, and I do not want to talk about her too much... Wah!

Well, my uncooked skin almost tastes like a combination of plastic and sand. It is a shame that huntin will most likely never be illegalized. However, there are alternatives that are already illegal, and would be good for the economy... And yes, I was at that Marijuana Party of Canada website for too long, lol. However, pollution affects the environment as well, affecting the lives of animals. there are some people who consider the number 7 to be lucky, and there are plants with 7 points on their leaves... I really have to take a look at some of these other political party websites, lol.

Have a nice day.