News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

y hello thar

Started by Drick9, 07, December, 2008, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drick9

hey everyone.
My name is drick9 and i found this forum while looking into golden sun hacking. I have made minor delves into pokemon and fire emblem because i hack for fun and dont know if i'll ever make a full project. I'm having fun though thats all that matters  
anyway i played both golden suns a while ago and they remain some of my favorite games of all time.

also i saw and subscribed to atrius's videos on youtube then later on i find this website and see him as admin  
probably the best golden sun hacker, as there are not (as) many (as pokemon or fire emblem).
im going to be fiddling with the program he made to see what's possible.

also, how can you edit graphics for golden sun anyway?

Drick9

Rolina

*hands Drick9 a pamphlet on proper usage of grammar*

Please read and implement, thankyou.

And welcome, I guess.

Rolina

"Better.  My grammar is better."  Now lets spell it out together...

Atrius (He/Him)

Welcome to the forums Drick9!

Quote from: Role on 08, December, 2008, 12:26:00 PM*hands Drick9 a pamphlet on proper usage of grammar*

Please read and implement, thankyou.
I can't find dies word in mein Grammar Natzee handbook!

Quotealso, how can you edit graphics for golden sun anyway?

Complicatedly, since they're compressed.  

Although one of the simpler compression formats used can be tricked into accepting a .bmp image if it's formatted very specifically.

The editor can't do a whole heck of a lot right now, but I'm still working on it.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Atrius (He/Him)

Being able to do both would probably be ideal.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

The only think I can think of that may work would be to create a tool to edit the images within the editor itself.  Basically, something to go in and play around with the pixels.  That way, rather than replace an image, you EDIT it into a different one.  What is your thoughts?

Rolina

Which would be easier, though?  From a programming standpoint, that is...

Matrim

If you can figure out how the pictures are compressed exactly you can figure out how to compress/decompress them correct? Does you editor do anything with that in order to view the pictures or are you using an memory address of reference?

Atrius (He/Him)

It has to decompress them to display them. I have two of the four compression types used on sprites figured out well enough that I could write code to compress things back into them.  The last two are the most complex, but they're also used for all sorts of other data in the game.

Even after I write the compression code though, I'll have to make something so that if the new compressed data is larger than the old data it doesn't accidentally overwrite part of something else.  

Matrim