News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Plot holes

Started by Frog, 01, November, 2009, 01:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

How hard is this to understand?  Karst pressed the switch - thus she sprung the trap on them.  Simple as that.

As far as Alex is concerned, he wanted the lighthouses lit, so while Agatio and Karst dealt with brats he could care less about, he wanted to make sure that Felix got to the top without getting too worn out.  After the long trip up, all he needed to do was make sure that they were nice and refreshed, just in case.

Salanewt

The switch thing is easy to understand, but I thought that Isaac stepped on the switch?

Also, we still have not discussed the change of the World Map used. I am still trying to think about how Felix and co. had the map of the world when the continents only really separated further during the transition between the two games. Shouldn't Felix' map be the same as Isaac's, but with the whole world instead of just the Angara and Northern Gondowan areas? How did Felix get a new map that quickly?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

uh... no?  How would he step on the switch AND get caught up in the trap at the same time?  Do you even remember where that switch is?  The groups move so close together they share the same sprite after all!

Salanewt

Hm... Perhaps he ran ahead and stepped on it on purpose? Lol.

Anyway, have any ideas for how the map changed?

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Quote from: Salanewt on 07, November, 2009, 06:20:23 PM
Anyway, have any ideas for how the map changed?

Have a nice day.
...Game mechanics.  Read: It DIDN'T.  You just got access to more of it is all.  DUH.

Salanewt

Yes, but in the first Golden Sun, you could clearly see Hesperia right beside Angara.

Have a nice day.

Frog

Who said Felix had a map?
Maybe that's just for the PLAYER to see...
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

Salanewt

That makes sense... Oh, now I get how Isaac had a different map!!! He set out with the same copy that Lunpa set out with, but Felix was given a more recent copy! Oh... Still does not make sense how hesperia can be seen very close to Angara though, but this might be the best reason for why the maps that the players view is different.

That would make sense, for the player to see only, but then how would Felix and co. know exactly where to teleport?

Have a nice day.

Charon

...because they've been there before? It's probably a coordinate based system with the psynergy, and the map is simply a representation for the player to understand.

Salanewt

Makes sense.

I can not think of any more plot holes...

Have a nice day.

Rolina

The vast majority of the stuff here weren't plot holes to begin with, but rather gameplay mechanics... >_>

Salanewt

True. However, I can at times call Gameplay Mechanics as mini-plot holes, even if they have nothing to do with the plot.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

No... no you can't...  You said it yourself that they have nothing to do with the plot, so how the hell can they be a plot hole?  Like I said before, the rules and definitions of things do not just change as you want them to...

Salanewt

I know this. What I mean is that sometimes game mechanics affect the plot in mysterious ways... I play enough video games that do this to know this, as do many people (but not all games do this).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

No... no they don't.  Not at all.  Game mechanics are simply that - game mechanics.  Plot is something we like to call STORYLINE. They're two totally separate things.

Salanewt

In some of the games that I have played, the game mechanics do affect the plot. They are both different things, but the plot is still affected (I don't know how or why, but they are) by the way that these games are coded, and that is all that I have to say on the matter before we get into another argument.

Now... Looking at the direction that the tidal wave came from in the second Golden Sun, wouldn't it have pushed Indra further west instead of down? Of course, it is hard to tell because the camera might have been at a different angle, but they never showed the island turning (well, slightly when they first had the tidal wave in view, but that makes it make less sense about what angle the tidal wave came from).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

That would be graphical limitations, Sala...

Also, here's an example of why Gameplay Mechanics have no effect on plot, other than to deceive the player into thinking it does.

I point to Rockman Zero 3, and the recurring boss Omega.  He's easy as hell, but the game repeatedly implies that Omega is one of the most powerful things in existence.  Problem is, you cannot properly convey that power over the GBA.  Omega isn't really that hard until ZX, where he's a freaking BEAST, though this is his final form.

Also, psynergy is supposed to be a powerful force, stronger than any sword.  You know what's stronger than any psynergetic spell?  NO LESS THAN THREE SWORDS.  Gameplay mechanics are misleading, but they have nothing to do with actual plot.  PLOT AND STORYLINE DO.

Shinigami

Quote from: Salanewt on 01, November, 2009, 10:16:00 AM
(I thought they said that only Jupiter Adepts could learn Reveal)
Maybe they got another Jupiter adept, then killed him/her... :Sweat:
just joking :medal:
sorry, kinda of topic
So nanoka~

Aile~♥

Remind me why this topic was locked, again?

Anyway, I just noticed something: The Inns in the game don't charge for Kraden. It's still 6 coins for a room in the Daila Inn, and 4 when a party member's down, and 8 once Piers joins, and 16 once Isaac & co. join. That means 2 coins per person, except for Kraden who is mysteriously free.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Senior's discount? Some places do it on Earth, perhaps people in Weyard had the same idea?

I am still interesting in finding out why Hesperia could be seen in-game when playing the first game, yet they moved it so far away for the second. I doubt that the tidal wave washed over all of Angara to move it. I also read Role's last post, but I never described a graphical limitation. Besides, with a bit of ASM, those waves could easily be repositioned to push Indra in the right direction.

Wait, when was this topic locked? I thought that Role would have locked it before she became a regular member, but when I look at the post before yours, it looks like it was opened without our knowledge.

Have a nice day.