News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Text commands

Started by Atrius, 16, October, 2008, 02:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

Thanks jdmj90, I really appreciate it.

I think those last lines of text are from the guys you get the special summons from like Valukar, Dullahan, Sentinel, Dark Magician, e.t.c.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

MaxiPower

hmm yes i found the just of that in my GStoolkit tutorial video on youtube.. good to see someone else been messing with it

Matrim

From what i've discovered so far things with two brakets next to each other seem to refer to a list. eg. in the prolougue text and in any text usuing the 8 playable adepts names in them there name is a [17][1-8]
1 Issac
2 Garet
3 Ivan
4 Mia
5 Felix
6 Jenna
7 Sheba
8 Piers

other sommands i could figure out include:

[1]new text window
[3]new line
[5] pause in dialugue scrolling
[29]inventory item
[30] asks yes/no

also an intersting find. The last 4ish lines of text. I wonder where they are from/are for?

Matrim

Some more

[26][1-6] are buttons

1 is a
2 is B
3 is L
4 is R
5 i assume is start
6 is select

[18][1] Party member depending on situation.

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Matrim

this is a bit necro but i didn't want to start a new thread since we have one here already and this is more relevant information.

[26][6] special item aka unleash or psyenergy or key item

text editor string number 5456 holds the font colors [8][1-14]
can't see some of it and the colors
with further examination of the flora summon dialogue box when you get the the you summon.

[9][4] seems to either be a whole paragraph shaky marker but this shaky looks different than the one from the [5] marker

[25] seems to be some sort of 's' adder. if you have only won one battle it says you have won 1 consecutive battle but once you win two it says consecutive battles
[22] is somehow a specified variable/number perhaps a pointer assessor

[9][2] text [7] one of the commands must be bold. Can be found after fighting in the battle arena a few times.

Atrius (He/Him)

Hmm... I guess I was wrong, those color, and bold commands do work.

[7] seems to make the box behind the text disappear.

[9][6] is pretty funky.  It pairs letters up in twos and makes them rotate.

String 5456 ends at "brown [8][14]"  You're seeing all of it.

Matrim

in my editor since i can't apperently increase the window size, cuts off the string as it goes right. I see the end of the string i just can't see the items that run off the screen.

Atrius (He/Him)

Ah, that's right, I did redo the layout for the text editor in v0.3 for a couple reasons, that being one of them.  I'll get you that rip of all the game's text you want sometime tomorrow maybe.

EDIT: Here you go, I've attached the text dump for TLA.

Matrim

Thrilling. thanks a bunch. now to study it.

Matrim

[8][16] clears font color changes or changes color back to white?
[21] is similar to 22 but instead is a string not an integer.
[20][1] specific item
[20][2] kind of the same thing as [20][2]. item from a treasure chest
[16] Head party members name? wonder why it isn't [18][5] possibly party leader's name?

[19][1] character's class name.
[27] 's marker?

[28][5][1] First charcter of "Felix"'s name, used once.

intersting line
5451   :[9][4][17][1], you are the final[3]warrior, and this shall not[3]be forgotten.[1][9][6]I'll be here, so when you get[3]done checking things out, just[3]give me a call.[1][9][2]All right?[2]

[30] is the largest number.

end notes:

I suspect that each characters data is stored in an array or some sort.

I think some gs1 dialouge got put in here too because i don't think you ever see babi's diary in tla

[18][1],[20][1-?],[21],[22] seem to be dynamically changing. [18][1] only in battle and the rest anywhere i believe

does anyone know where there bathrobes in the game? lemuria?

12397   : What in°!!! [15][4][15][4][1][12][11]What's with all these bathrobes?!?[3]Where are the baths?[2]

Atrius (He/Him)

The highest command value possible at all would be 31 since anything above that is part of the text of the string.  The highest one that actually does something may be 30 though.

It can also possibly depend on context, especially for many of the commands that are for inserting variables into the text.  For items the [29][2/3/5/etc] before their name changes the word that appears before the items name when you get one of them in game (ex: "You got a Short Sword" vs "You got an Assassins Blade")

For the command [16], Golden Sun's engine does in fact allow other party members to lead to the party, for example at Collosso in the first game when you were playing as the others helping Isaac to win.

Neko-chan

So would removing [30] and then typing some text like hello, Nice weather we're having today don't you think? Make the protagonist actually speak for once?
(insert smart remark here)

Atrius (He/Him)

Who says what is determined by how the string is used in the game's code, not anything in the string itself.

Rolina

Exactly.  By choose the choices, you could just have it so that the protagonist speaks their answer one way or another, instead of having others respond to them nodding or shaking their head.  It's really got nothing to do with programming saying that the main dood can't talk, and more with the programmers making an active choice not to let them talk.

MaxiPower

I hate the idea of a Silent Protaginst, i get what angle there coming from but rather have all characters even main character speak

Rolina

EVERYONE hates that trope.  It makes the main dood seem like some lame hollow shell.  That's why it typically listed as a trope that you're best avoiding.

Salanewt

It would make sense if they explained how the protagonist lost their voice (like a tragic accident or something), but I find it odd how almost every protagonist in every game that I play seems to be mute (well, almost always, since Luigi can talk in Superstar Saga if he dresses up as Peach).

Also, I did not really know about this topic, so I have a few questions. Atrius? Are you planning on adding an index of the main commands or something in a Readme file with the editor? Also, is it at all possible to edit the commands in the game?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Clara Vita (she/her/hers)

purge
Anemos Alchemist -> Spirit of the Dawn -> Lord Claros Flamestrike -> Clara Vitalia -> Clara Vita

Can you find the point at which I came out as trans? lmfao

Aile~♥

In most games you have to choose the response, even when it is something other than "Yes" or "No".

For example in, Paper Mario tTYD:

Bowser: (You're both too old!)
(It's hag vs. hag!)

Of particuolar note is that neither of these responses actually makes a difference to the gameplay, it's just a matter of personal preference.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]