News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Text commands

Started by Atrius, 16, October, 2008, 02:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Anemos Alchemist on 12, January, 2010, 03:28:52 PMWell, unlike GS1, the main character, (Felix), gets a line.  A SINGLE LINE...

"Why?"

When Moapa is explaining the Trial Road to the party in Shaman Village.

And that was a translation error.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

But he also had "..." during the cutscene when leaving Lemuria.

Translation error, or the line belonging to someone else (and what was it supposed to be if it is the error)?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

It was his line, but it was just supposed to be a question mark, nothing else.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Clara Vita (she/her/hers)

purge
Anemos Alchemist -> Spirit of the Dawn -> Lord Claros Flamestrike -> Clara Vitalia -> Clara Vita

Can you find the point at which I came out as trans? lmfao

Neko-chan

Role I agree with you when you said
QuoteEVERYONE hates that trope.  It makes the main dood seem like some lame hollow shell.  That's why it typically listed as a trope that you're best avoiding.

Because I have always hated the silent hero trope. It makes him\her seem like a boring blob of pixels instead of a person. IF "they" did not want the main PC to speak, Why not make him\her a mute in the first place?
(insert smart remark here)

Kazua

I always thought Felix lost his voice in that tidal wave.
Now Issac, I don't know.

The silent issue probably exists because you can make things
far worse when making a hero with a personality that people won't like.

Neko-chan

But Felix SPEAKS in the end cutscene, Does he not? You HAVE finished the game, Have you?
(insert smart remark here)

MaxiPower

Quote from: Neko-chan on 14, January, 2010, 04:08:14 PM
But Felix SPEAKS in the end cutscene, Does he not? You HAVE finished the game, Have you?

Well technially speaking that doesnt count as the game is over.... the reason theirs a silent ptotaginst is to make the player become the main, his yes, no actions affect the game is some form and thats why its their

Aile~♥

I don't know, I like games where the main character has personality, even if I don't like his/her personality. lol at Emil in ToS: DotNW.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Maxi's right - it doesn't count if they only talk at the end.  The thing is, people prefer a character who talks, even if they wind up being a jerk in the end that EVERYONE hates, it's still better than a silent protagonist.  Hell, I prefer Cloud to Crono, and I HATE Cloud.  But because he talks, I see him, as a character, as being better than Crono.  Crono still wins from a gameplay standpoint, as far as I'm concerned, but as far as his personality... I prefer the guy with a personality I don't like to one with no personality.

Salanewt

A theory as to why Felix talks at the end... Mars Lighthouse restored his voice, which was on recovery anyway (though we know of Nintendo's plan for a silent protagonist, as well as the translation error, we can ignore these), and the pressure from hitting the Ocean after jumping off of the Lighthouse is what caused him to lose his voice (since if it were like real life, then he would have been killed).

After all, it restored Felix, Jenna, and Isaac's parents to full health.

And... Are we at all off topic?

Anyway, Atrius? Are some text commands universal for multiple games, or are they all programmed specifically for the game? I know that some of them are specific commands, but there are many others as well.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Here's a theory:  The reason they don't talk is because camelot decided to follow the stupid silent protagonist trope.  They actually do speak in the game, but nobody hears it because camelot didn't realize that people HATE silent protagonists.

Salanewt

Yeah, I think I prefer your theory actually. The games in which mute protagonists are cool are normally in platform games.

Oh yes, Atrius? How many commands are there in the game?

Have a nice day.

Matrim

assuming that gs and gs:tla use the same text mechanics which they do as far as i can tell, [24] is a hyphen.
possibly the degree does the same thing as well for tla

[15][4] makes the text box bob. its used when you view a wardrobe in the lemeria palace on the first floor.

Atrius (He/Him)

QuoteAnyway, Atrius? Are some text commands universal for multiple games, or are they all programmed specifically for the game? I know that some of them are specific commands, but there are many others as well.
It's fairly likely that GS, and GS:TLA use a lot of the same commands since they use the same engine.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Tennis, and Mario Golf for GBA have similar commands too since they also use the same engine.  Beyond that I would not count on it at all.

QuoteOh yes, Atrius? How many commands are there in the game?
Hard to say until we figure them all out.  The highest possible number you'll seen in brackets is [31], anything higher than that will get converted into a text character, but some commands given different arguments will do different things.

Matrim

i can't wait until we get the text editor because the easyiest place to modify to find out about tags would be the prolouge. We could test many of thw commands each run. I can't wait. :) :) we can also figure out if the numbers that don't seem to be anywhere in the editor actually do something. ie. i believe 13 is one.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm not sure if the prologue would be the best place for it since it's not actually in a message box, it may use different code.

Matrim

i was specifically talking about when it shows them on top of the lighthouse. and when jenna and kraden are escapeing. sorry for the cconfusion.

SSBMX

Quote from: Neko-chan on 14, January, 2010, 04:08:14 PM

He speaks to show that you are watching and have no control anymore.

Also what is [29]?

Edit:
Errrr never mind

Mastermind

Sorry to revive this thread, but I didn't want to make a new one to deal with an issue that's already been talked about. I think I have most of them figured out:

Notes: 10, 13, 14, and 24 might have a use, It's just not used in the game text.
[1]-Next speech window.(next line when in battle text)
[2]-End speech.
[3]-Next line.
[4]-Shakey or underlined text, I'm not sure.
[5]-Pause in text.
[7]-End text effect.
[8] Used to define text color.Line 5456 in text viewer reads:
[8][1] zero [8][2] black [8][3]red [8][4]orange [8][5]yellow [8][6]lime [3][8][7]green [8][8]cyan [8][9]blue [8][10]peach [1][8][11]beige [8][12]brown [8][14]
[9]Bold text
[10]-Not used in game text.
[11]- Used only in the description of the bathrobe-filled cupboard in lemuria, probably involved in the effect that was used there.
[12]-Same as [11].
[13]-Not used in game's text.
[14]-Not used in game's text.
[15]- Found in line 12397:a e i u e o a o [15][4][3]ka ke ki ku ke ko ka ko[3]sa se shi su se so sa so [15][4][2]
This corresponds to the Japanese alphabet, so perhaps for letter selection or changing words into Hirangana or Katakana.Strangely enough, It's also used in the bathrobe-filled cupboard, so perhaps it causes the animation that occurs during name selection when a letter is scrolled over.
[16] Used to insert a name for actions such as searching in barrels([16] checked the barrel...[1]), text concerning the party as a whole in battle ([16]'s party was caught by surprise!), and is somehow used in djinn aquisition. ([18][1] found the Venus[3]Djinni [8][5][21][8][16]![30])
[17]Used for Character names in the story's dialogue. Followed by a number telling which character it is.
[17][1]= Issac [17][2]=Garet [17][3]=Ivan [17][4]=Mia [17][5]=Felix [17][6]=Jenna [17][7]=Sheba [17][8]=Piers
[18]-Used for inserting names in battle text concerning individual party members or enemies. ALso used in item or djinn trading, equiping things, and sanctum exchanges.
[19]-Used for inserting class names in text.
[20]-Used for inserting item names in text.
[21]-Used for inserting the names of djinn, psynergy, weapon unleashes, or summons.
[22]-Used to insert values for exp, coins, damage, or stats that are gained or lost. (also used for exp needed)
[23]-Used only in line 5473: ƒV[ƒ"[3][23][3]c,µ`,ñc[2]. I have no idea what it means.
[24]-Not used in game text.
[25]-Used to change units to plurl form if value is over 1. (That'll be [22] coin[25]. could be 'coins' if it costs more than 1 'coin')
[26]-Used to insert button command images.[26][1]=A button [26][2]=B button [26][3]=Left shoulder button [26][4]=Right shoulder button [26][5]=Start button [26][6]=Select button
[27]-Used to insert a character's name in a possesive form (Jenna's, Felix's). Only used when removing curses from someone. Probably has its own command in case a name ends with an 's', in which case the possesive form is different (Piers' is the possesive form of Piers)
[28]-Used only once, to stutter a character's name. If you talk to Issac on Jupiter lighthouse he says "F, Felix... No! Why are you helping them?" but if the character's name doesn't start with an 'F' it doesn't make sense so it is "[28][5][1], [17][5]... No![3]Why are you helping them?[2]" in game script
[29]- Used to indicate something about an item/equipmen. followed by a number 2-6. Seems randomly done to me.
[30]-Indicates a choice (yes/no, shop menues) and some scenes such as Flint and Echo's djinn tutorial and the Conversation about Piers' age.