News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Text commands

Started by Atrius, 16, October, 2008, 02:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Happy New Year! Not sure if anyone cares about this anymore, but I think command [15] only has argument [4]; Matrim pointed out what it does a few years ago, but no other argument seems to work from what I can tell. Additionally, you have to enter [15][4] multiple times if you want it to shake more. Here's some basic info on the other things I have found so far:

08039864 = dialogue_properties - includes dialogue speed/pacing, palette instruction usage, and maybe more (list of 30 text instructions at    #08039910)
0803998C - Text instruction 3 (New Line)
080399D8 - Text instruction 1 (New Panel)
08039BBC - Text instruction 2 (End Text)
08039BEE - Text instruction 5 (Pause Text)
08039BF8 - Text instruction 6 (???)
08039C16 - Text instruction 4 (???)
08039C2E - Text instruction 8 (Palette)
08039C60 - Text instruction 9 (Text Effect (uses other values for varied effects such as bold, will record later))
08039C88 - Text instruction 10 (Text Shift (shifts text vertically by the pixel))
08039CA4 - Text instruction 7 (End Text Effect)
08039CBC - Text instruction 15 (Panel Animation (only has one instruction?))
08039CE4 - Text instruction 0 (no instruction?) and 30 (Yes/No Option)
08039CF0 - Every other instruction (they are handled differently or otherwise have no effect)

The only thing about [4] and [6] is that I can't seem to get them to do anything other than delay the text by a really long time whenever I use one. I think this might be the code giving up on finding a solution though, so I will probably have to look at the code later on to have an idea whether it does anything else or not. Using [15][anything but 4] does the same thing for some reason, but it could be common to any invalid instruction and/or argument combination.

As for [8] (the palette one), I think you can use any of the first 15 colours; [8][16] would generally reset it back to white though. It looks like you can only go up to [8][16] before you get garbled colours and stuff. Pretty ugly when that happens, and I can't say I know why it happens either. Also keep in mind that the argument is the colour's placement in the icon/sprite palette + 1 according to the editor, but in RAM data it's just the colour... Oh, and you can technically have transparent text with just the shadows underneath. I have to say that it is actually pretty legible when with normal text.

[9] = Text effect, and uses another argument (as most of you already know);
[9][1] - Bold text
[9][2] - Wavy text
[9][3] - Shaking text
[9][4] - Cinema text (starts big before shrinking)
[9][5] - Rotating text
There doesn't seem to be anything else after the last one.

[10] is text shifting and uses a second argument. Low arguments will shift the text up and higher arguments will shift it down (basically super and subscript done by the pixel). Pretty sure [10][10] is neutral too.

Well, I guess that's all for now. Funny thing is that the function listed in the code should also have something to do with text pacing/speed and such. My goal was to find something else before I stumbled onto this, so yeah.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote[29]- Used to indicate something about an item/equipmen. followed by a number 2-6. Seems randomly done to me.
Pretty sure that one is for the a, an, some, and the that comes before, i. e. item names.

Anyway, I want to say that recursive text inserting might not be possible? Haven't quite tested, though... But from the way one function looks, the text commands that allow you to insert text decompress in a mostly-raw format.
Quote[17]Used for Character names in the story's dialogue. Followed by a number telling which character it is.
[17][1]= Issac [17][2]=Garet [17][3]=Ivan [17][4]=Mia [17][5]=Felix [17][6]=Jenna [17][7]=Sheba [17][8]=Piers
[18]-Used for inserting names in battle text concerning individual party members or enemies. Also used in item or djinn trading, equiping things, and sanctum exchanges.
[19]-Used for inserting class names in text.
[20]-Used for inserting item names in text.
[21]-Used for inserting the names of djinn, psynergy, weapon unleashes, or summons.

08039864 = As posted by Salanewt above... I think this is how text is displayed. (?)

0803B094 = This one decompresses/parses an entire string. There are a number of functions calling this function that may need more documentation.(?) (Character limit appears to be around 0x1FF (511) ... I think?? Might need to double check that it wasn't one more, though.) - It is my guess that functions calling this function may also call above function either directly, or indirectly. (Indirectly would be calling a function that proceeds to calling that function.) *Takes a quite look* Actually, I'm not sure yet... Might study it a bit later.

0803CA20 = This one is the one used to decompress inserted text to mostly raw string. - And the character limit is either 23 or 24... I think it is 23, even though the arg in r2 is 0x18 (24).

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)