News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux

Started by Salanewt, 20, October, 2009, 03:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux?

Windows
1 (33.3%)
Mac
0 (0%)
Linux
2 (66.7%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Salanewt

Wow, Role... I understand where you are coming from, but some of that almost sounded kind of mean.

By the way, in computer terms, what do you mean by STD? I know what they are for humans, but...

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

...It's a joke.  If you didn't get it, you never will.

As for why I'm being mean, it's because I'm sick of Mac fans treating me like crap just because I prefer PCs.  I didn't have a problem with macs until a bunch of coworkers started treating my like crap over it back when I worked at Fry's...

Great electronics store to shop in, but I will NEVER work there again (and not just because of the Mac Jerks, ALL my coworkers - save one, whom I'm good friends with - were pretty much mean to everyone except the customers).

Salanewt

Yeah, I understood the joke, I just thought that there might be a different meaning the way you were saying it (but I guess not).

Actually, I would call them STVs, not STDs for computers, or even ASTV.

Oh, that is kind of sad. However, all of the mean people in the world makes me feel good because I get to know that I am nicer than them. I know, I almost sound like a snob when I say that...

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Charon

Quote from: Role
Quote from: JamietheFlameUserThe only reason Mac can't play the newest games is cause not a lot of people use Mac, and the reason not a lot of people use Mac is cause Mac can't play the newest games, resulting in a bad feedback loop.

And as for that thing about Windows apps having to be Mac-compatible? I'd like to point out Paint. And Game Maker.

I don't like PCs cause they are nothing like Macs.
WRONG.  They can't use them because it has a totally different format.  Most game makers choose to build for the most popular platform to maximize their profits - and that is the PC.  Very rarely will they make a game that works on both.

And you say that's your favorite part?  Do you know how pathetic that is?  A Mac isn't any more stable than a PC... PCs just have more STDs.  That's the price you pay for being popular.  Might I remind you that even though you can emulate PCs, you can't do so at 100% - macs cannot replicate the sheer power of a PC.  Not to mention PCs are a HELL of a lot more customizable in comparison to Macs...

...Let me guess, you're gonna be one of those types the second Macs become the mainstream compy, you'll abandon it because it's not "cool" or "hip" enough?
Albeit a harsh way of putting it, I fully agree. Macs are considered better simply because of the way they're advertised - they're not usually preferred by a larger population, like Windows.

I like Windows because even though it's more susceptible to viruses, it is more of a useful system in a whole. Macs make me feel uncomfortable with their "hip and cool" design simply because it's functionality that makes a computer favourable, not the way it looks. Macs are like Abercombie - there's not much difference in quality, it's just that it costs 125% more.

Linux is good if you don't mind using inferior programs like GIMP (compared to Photoshop) and Open Office (compared to Microsoft Office series), which do most of the features those programs do anyhow but obviously much less in price. It's weak on the games side like Macs, but Linux is still better for three reasons - it doesn't favour appearance over functionality, it's a crapload cheaper (obviously) and the programs that are supported by the system are almost always free. It's also faster than both operating systems, and gives more power to the user (of course, that gives those who are stupid and inexperienced a higher chance of screwing up their computer by abusing the "sudo" command...). You can even change around a bootstrap like program's arguments to meet your needs.

Rolina

Another thing I don't like about macs?  They're annoying as hell to upgrade.  At least with a PC you can replace individual components really easily as you need them.  If you just need more space, get a new HDD.  IF you're a hardcore gamer, but all you need is a better video card, just open it up and put in the new card.

They're easy to upgrade, and you can pick and choose what to upgrade, depending on your needs.  I've never seen anything like that for a mac... I don't know if I'm correct here, but the overall lack of anything I've seen to other than peripherals for a mac seems to suggest to me that you have to replace the whole darned thing in order to pull off any upgrades to the machine itself.

Again, I COULD be wrong about that.  I've never been to an actual mac store, just general electronics stores, but still...

Anywho, I do know for a fact that Macs suffer just as bad of crap that PCs go through.  They're NOT more stable, rather, just about the same - just with a different name.  I've got a friend who works for the Mac Tech Support...  He's never met dumber people in his life.  "I got a mac!  Why does it not work exactly how I want it?" "...*facepalm*"  I swear, Tech Support people have to be some of the nicest people on earth in order to sit through such stupidity, be it for PC, Mac, or otherwise.  Oh, the stories I've heard....

Aile~♥

I find PCs crash harder, but I don't try to do anything fancy on my Mac. My mom's Mac, however, keeps screwing up, and freezing, and all that stuff. When an application crashes in Windows, I find it takes the whole operating system with it.

I have nothing against Windows users, I just use Macs out of personal preference.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

We understand Jamie, we understand.

Anyway, what would you be running on a PC that would make it crash hard (or is it an older one)?

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUserI find PCs crash harder, but I don't try to do anything fancy on my Mac. My mom's Mac, however, keeps screwing up, and freezing, and all that stuff. When an application crashes in Windows, I find it takes the whole operating system with it.

I have nothing against Windows users, I just use Macs out of personal preference.
If that's the case, you have the settings wrong.  Most people just use default settings, beit on a PC or a Mac.  More tech savvy people will be able to go in and make it so that when a program crashes, ONLY that program crashes, rather than it having a runaway reaction.  That's how I'm actually running a VERY stable Vista, after all.  Sure, it was hell at first, until I figured out what settings I was looking for, but I've not had it crash for over a year now.

weckar

Charon

Ubuntu hasn't crashed once since I got it :3

Of course, not to say it can't crash. I just haven't done anything stupid with it yet.

The thing that mainly pisses people off about Linux (besides it's incompatibility with many programs) is something brought upon themselves - abusing the sudo command so that they can play God. There are so many idiots who thought they were joking when they said that the 7 Deadly Linux Commands that tear apart their computer. :p

Windows? Well, I kind of figured out that using 25 programs at the same time, with 7 of those using 100,000 KB of RAM or more would cause a crash, lol

Salanewt

Hehe, almost makes me want to buy a Linux to try to find more to add to the list (if they exist). However, I am not stupid enough to do this, so thank you for that list.

Yeah... I am almost always careful of how many programs I run. As for the internet, I normally have two or three open at a time (Yoshi's Lighthouse and My Assistant), while the rest are tabs. However, I normally only have one tab, which is this place (and a temporary tab of stuff hat I am working on/researching).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

I never have that many programs open.  Who in their right mind needs 25 programs at the same time?  Dood, overkill much?  Just use what you need, jeez...

Meh.  If there's one thing I really like about Linux, it's her corresponding OS-tan.  I mean, Linux-tan is soooo cute! :heart:

Charon

Rolina

...You don't know what OS-tans are?!

Tux is like the god/Odin figure, and the OS-tans are like his Valkyrie.  At least, that's the theme I see with the linux-tans.  There's different themes for different OS types, windows is like a family, mac is... something, dunno.  Here's an example of linux-tan:

More linux-tan pics can be found here: http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/thumbnails.php?album=6

Charon

I SEE GNOME FOOT :D... and I think GRUB? That's a bootleg-like program, you know XD You can change it to decide which operating system boots and how long it times out before booting a certain system.

Oh... lulz. I'm actually not that interested in that stuff, and looking through the gallery, most of it really doesn't interest me (although Kami-Tux and Tux Warrior (another pic) could actually make for some pretty sweet non-obvious cameo monsters in a GS hack *sweatdrop*). But I do have teh awesomez for a desktop:
Spoiler:

I'm no Jokertard, but you'd have to admit - that's teh awesome.

EDIT: I was looking through these as well, and I like them a lot. For some reason Fedora's reminds me of Lilly from SIII, minus the red feather.

Salanewt

Joker? Oh, as in the card games?

Have a nice day.

I still think that...

Windows: Hello.

Salanewt: Baby your the top!

Windows: I have recovered your 50 page book that you typed over the weekend before I restarted due to a power outage.

Salanewt: Thanks! Oh! Baby! Baby I'm your bottom, and you are my top!

Rolina

Oddly enough, the most popular OS-tan is ME-tan, based off of arguably the most unstable OS of all time - Windows ME.  I'd take a MAC over ME any day, which is sad, considering I'm me.

Bow down to your God, Charon!

Also, there's also things for programs... for example, MacAffee is typically portrayed as an old perverted doctor who needs to "scan" the OS-tans for viruses, and Norton is typically a younger, amateur doctor who fancies himself a playboy and isn't any better than MacAffee...

Charon

Oh my God, do not remind me of my childhood tortures with ME... I had to use that for 5 years until my computer's power source gave in to its horrible design, sparked, and died.

Rolina

Yeah...  ME is defitely the worst of ALL the OSes, but those traits make her really popular in terms of the Moe Anthropomorphism that is ME-tan... a klutz, slow to react, often 'crashes' spectacularly, etc... really cute, but NOT when you actually have to use her for your OS...

Speaking of which, Windows 7 has an OFFICIAL OS-tan over in Japan!  Ohh, I SOO want that japan-exclusive theme!

Charon

From what I've used...

Jaunty > Windows XP >> Windows 98 > Vista > 95 >>>> some mac I was forced to use in 8th grade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME

Jaunty and XP are pretty close though. They're both good for different reasons.

Gee, how come I never knew about this -_-

We should definitely put in Kami-Tux as a cameo monster in our community hack. He's awesome, and not downright obvious.