News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux

Started by Salanewt, 20, October, 2009, 03:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux?

Windows
1 (33.3%)
Mac
0 (0%)
Linux
2 (66.7%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Salanewt

So... What are these tans again?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

...Wikipedia is your friend.  Look up OS-tan

Salanewt

Okay, thanks.

Wait, doesn't Wikipedia sometimes have incorrect information? Oh well, I suppose I can trust it this time.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

It only has incorrect info if someone's trolling.  All you have to do is check for sources - so long as the info has a source, you're generally good.  Wikipedia as a whole is quite reliable, though.

Rolina

Vast majority of people like windows.  Hell, even with all of Vista's flaws, it's still relatively simple to use once you get the hang of it.

I've got no experience with Linux, so I don't really have a say in the matter as far as its concerned. Basically, I go by the whole gamer's mantra - Don't dock it 'till you've tried it.  In other words, if you've not tried it, you shouldn't be giving an opinion about it one way or another.

I HAVE tried a mac - my elementary school used them.  I hated them.
I've used more recent macs too, and I still don't like them.  Supposedly they're great for doing art, but not much else.  If you're into gaming or need actual power behind your compy, you're better with a PC.

Aile~♥

That I admit. I find that a Mac arrives at the webpage faster, but is slow to run flash content, while PCs take an AMAZINGLY long time to get there, but run flash and java content at a fast clip.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

I think that the ISP also has something to do when it comes to that.  Some ISPs are faster than others.  So while the OS has a part in it, it's only a part in it...

Charon

Flash is annoying to load in Ubuntu :p

It's one of it's "not very compatible" features... although websites load fine.

EDIT: I'm now working on downloading Fedora to try it out :3

Salanewt

Ah, makes sense... Perhaps I could start a topic about Yoshi's Magic and Yoshi's Lighthouse once it is out? Mwahahahahaha! It will of course be able to have a few sources, and...

Anyway, back on topic.

So, overall, people here like Windows, right?

Have a nice day.

Frog

While ubuntu does have issues, it's go nowhere near as many as windows.
...i've never tried a mac so i can't comment there.
Linux ftw!
Not on too often, but I'm still here!

twocows

It really all depends on what you want to use it for. While Linux and OS X are theoretically better gaming platforms, in practice Windows wins because practically no games run natively on Linux (and few do for OS X). It's also very versatile; it's set up so anything you might want to do can be done with minimal configuration.

OS X is great if you want something that "just works," which is (for some reason) what so many people seem to want out of Linux. It's ridiculously easy to learn and use, and the software written for it is great, if a bit limited in range.

Linux (or even BSD) is great if you have a specific purpose in mind. Got some old junk kicking around and want to make it useful? Put a minimal Linux install on it. Want to make a powerful server? Linux servers are great. Just bored and feel like screwing around? Linux is great for that, too. There's also a huge amount of free, community-written software available for most any Linux distribution, and you can also run a lot of Windows programs on Linux using WINE. And it is versatile, in that it can do most things (if with a bit of resistance).