News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Computer Talk

Started by Charon the Ferryman, 18, October, 2009, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

Here's a nice little thread for talking about how awesome (or crappy) your computer is!

Currently I've got a rather meh laptop on me - it's a two year old HP dv9000 (Yay, the motherboard failure kind!), equipped with a Dual Boot (Windows Vista(meh) and Ubuntu 9.04) and it's got a somewhat meh 1.9 GB of RAM, with about 115 GB of space (about 10 GB to Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), 85 to my C and 20 to another virtual drive that I use to transfer files from OS to OS; it's easier than searching though my windows account all the time and Windows can't read Ubuntu's partition lol)

It is also, quite conveniently, unable to close it's monitor because if I do, the plastic bends and separates, risking damage >_>

Atrius (He/Him)

1.9 GB of RAM?  I take it the graphics card is integrated then, that's very common in Laptops anyway.  2 GB is a decent amount even these days, most people's computers have way more power than they really need anyway.

I love my laptop, it's awesome for the price I paid for it.  I've got Windows Vista & Windows 7 installed on it.  4 GB of DDR3 RAM, and two hard drives, the 320 GB one it came with and a 500 GB one I installed.  The 320 GB one has Vista on it, the 500 GB one has a 20 GB partition for the Windows 7 install (So I don't have to reformat the whole thing once I decide to install the retail version) and the rest is for anything, and everything else.  The video card is an Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTS with 1 GB of dedicated RAM, kinda excessive, especially for a laptop.

The best part of it though, is that I got a TV tuner card for it, and have cable plugged into my laptop, and my laptop plugged into my TV (The "Video Card of Excessive Features" has an HDMI out port).  It acts kinda like a Digital Cable Box with a program guide, and can be set to automatically record shows for you.  The TV tuner card even works for HD channels.

Anyway, like I was saying, most people's computers have way more power than they need anyway, and... um... where was I going with that?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

D:

[/envy]

Windows Vista is meh, but how's 7? I wanted to try it out but it's expensive...

Its true that people overpower their computers so much. On PC some people look down upon those with less than 10 GB RAM, and I stare at those statements like, "Where the hell do they get the kind of money for those kinds of upgrades D:"

Anywho, I'm trying to convince my parents to invest in repairing my lappy, but no such luck. Their ideology is, "Just treat it like a desktop - nothing will go wrong"

Except that the crack may grow larger and end up damaging the LCD. Yeah, great idea. >_>

It originates from a lose left hinge, a common problem that came from the HP dv9000 (also known as the motherboard failure lappy) that I think they recalled for. I want to contact HP on the issue and see if I can get it repaired for free like my failed motherboard, which also was a reason for the recall.

twocows

I like making "useless" hardware into something useful. I have a good laptop, but I'm more proud of my old 1999 Aptiva that I got running an nLited version of WinXP and set up with internet access and the works.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

I NEED a new pc. You're gonna ask why? well the reason is that it's SO BUSTED UP YOU CAN SEE THE INTERNALS. Dood I can see my pc's GUTS! (lulz) AND the CD drive CAN'T OPEN, so I'm FORCED to go to Computer Exchange and sell what remains of my pc game collection or try to find a website where you can D.L full vers. PC games and look for no cd cracks for them BUT WAREZ ARE ILLEGAL. Plus the monitor screen HAS SPLIT IN HALF and is HELD TOGETHER WITH DUCK TAPE!. But my mom "doesn't have the money"
to buy me a brand new pc BUT she DOES have the money to buy ALOT OF FANCY-LOOKING JUNK THAT SHE DOESN'T EVEN NEED I mean $200 ON A PAIR OF SLIPPERS?!?! or $300 ON A VASE!!??
That's why I'm moving into my friend's apartment who liives in Kyoto. It's 'cause his pc is AWESOME, and 'cause mom doesn't give a dog's balls about me. T-T [/pointless rambling]

Ninja Steve

Hm...
1 year old Acer Aspire 5735 laptop, looks like 2 GB RAM, 139.2 GB of space, running Vista

Yeah, I have remarkably little clue whether that's good or bad... I bought it for school (because my old computer originally ran ME before I upgraded to XP)
Quoteroses are red
grasses are green
push little cart
and be credit to team