News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Forum Error/Glitch Reports

Started by Rolina, 03, November, 2009, 11:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Ah, I see.  Bad timing on my part then, I guess.

Atrius (He/Him)

I should warn people before I do stuff like that.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Drick

Excuse me, I don't know if anyone else if having this problem, but the "Show unread posts since last visit." button is not working for me. It never shows any new posts even though it is OBVIOUS that there are.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm not sure why you're having that problem...  Anyone getting that?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Well, it used to bring me to an error page, but that ended a few days after you fixed my avatar problem. Perhaps Drick is experiencing simmilar issues?

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Drick

I'm not getting an error, it just never finds any new posts.

No unread topics found since your last visit.

Atrius (He/Him)

Drick

I'm pretty sure, also I go to 2 other forums where I do not get this problem :/

Atrius (He/Him)

Hmm... Strange...

What are the other 2 forums?  Do you know if they're running off SMF or not?

Drick

They run on phpBB, like the old GSHC. That's probably the problem then.

Rolina

I don't get that error, not on Firefox, IE, or Chrome, so it's gotta be something on your end.

Salanewt

Yeah, it could be on Drick's end, except that I have it now too. The problem for me just came in the past three days or so? Anyway, Jamie just made a new post in the Psynergy idea's topic, but I could not see it with "Show unread posts since last visit".

Perhaps it is something to do with the website, since I have not changed anything, and it was fine before.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

It may be because you didn't go inactive long enough for the forum to register you as not here.

Salanewt

Yeah, that makes sense. However... Actually, that makes sense, and the problem seems to have gone away.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

For some strange stupid reason, Anemos Alchemist PMed me this instead of posting it here like he was supposed to:

QuoteHey, just wanted to let someone know of a glitch that I found.  That is, if nobody else has found it...  xD

When I post anything, (be it a PM, a new thread, or a reply to an existing thread), I encounter a strange glitch with scrolling.  When I reach a length that requires the text entry to be scrolled, it starts acting up.  It will start jumping around when I try to use the scroll wheel on my mouse and not go the right way sometimes.  What I mean is that it goes up when I want down and vice versa.  Also, it will jump to a random place in the text then flash down to what I'm typing whenever I hit a key, then jump to another random place.  It won't stop doing this, at all, no matter what I've tried.  I thought that it was a mouse/keyboard problem, so I unplugged them and put them back in.  Didn't fix it.  Then, I thought that it might be that my computer was overheating.  I let it cool down, then tried again.  Didn't fix it.

So, if you would be so kind, I think that fixing this would help.  xD

Thanks in advance!

- Alchemist

PS: Also, when I hit "Enter," (or "Return," if that's what you have), it doesn't move the cursor down until I hit another button.  Don't know if this is related or not...

My answer?  Run a virus scan, change browsers, etc... Because no matter what compy I've accessed this from (no matter what browser either, for that matter, though you may be using the epic fail that is the AOL browser for all I know), I have never gotten that result.  Also, don't forget that you have to reboot your compy every now and then to clear the cache.  This is a problem on your end, not on the forum's end.  Regular Maintenance is the key to cleaning that up.

Salanewt

Oh, actually, I am still having the same problem that Alchemist has. I just try to avoid getting too far past the bottom, or I type elsewhere and then paste it in. Virus Scanning does nothing to fix it. It could be the browser... I am using Internet Explorer. I will try some others, but I think that it is just the computer settings.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

It could be your cache, or you've got too many things open.  Please, people, if you get errors like this, do list all the variables - Such as browser, OS, and yes, how long your compy has been on.  If it's been on too long, I'll just tell you to reboot and check back with me.  If you're using epic fail IE, I'll tell you get Firefox or Chrome.  Hell, I have VISTA and it doesn't have most the problems y'all are reporting.

There's also the whole thing were scrolling depends on where your mouse is.  If you're in a scrollable window (like, if there's a huge pic) it'll go to the one your mouse is in.  If you're scrolling down and you hit a scroll-needing pic, it'll scroll the pic instead.  Do learn how to properly use a compy if this is the issue, because again, the problem exists between keyboard and chair.  It's not a glitch, it's how computers work.

Salanewt

Well, I have listed most of these things around, so I will make a small list:

Internet Explorer. I have tried using Firefox before, but then some things do not display correctly at Yoshi's Lighthouse.

Windows XP, which came with my Computer when I got it in June. I hate Vista, and have not been able to upgrade to Windows 7.

Only a few things open (about 4-7 at the most, excluding when I work with the Nintendo DS).

I do not have the scrolling thing on when I type. It is less scrolling, as it is just a scrollbar jumping from bottom to top when I type. In fact, it fixes automatically if I keep typing sometimes, but then it will be glitchy again after a few more lines. This does not happen anywhere else except for here. In fact, the glitch rarely happens unless I press the "Enter" button as often as I do, which is why it often happens.

I also have Norton Antivirus, which came with my new computer. I used to use AVG, but it turns out that AVG does not recognize as many viruses as Norton does.

What else is there to mention? I do not have a history of getting viruses, because I am careful of where I go. I also clear out my cookies at least every few days, I avoid advertisements, I even check for viruses at least once a week, but only because I am in bed sleeping when Norton checks for me.

Also, the glitch is starting to happen under this line/on this line (under at the time that I was typing it, on this line for when I am done typing).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

QuoteWell, I have listed most of these things around, so I will make a small list:

Internet Explorer. I have tried using Firefox before, but then some things do not display correctly at Yoshi's Lighthouse.

Windows XP, which came with my Computer when I got it in June. I hate Vista, and have not been able to upgrade to Windows 7.

Only a few things open (about 4-7 at the most, excluding when I work with the Nintendo DS).

I do not have the scrolling thing on when I type. It is less scrolling, as it is just a scrollbar jumping from bottom to top when I type. In fact, it fixes automatically if I keep typing sometimes, but then it will be glitchy again after a few more lines. This does not happen anywhere else except for here. In fact, the glitch rarely happens unless I press the "Enter" button as often as I do, which is why it often happens.

I also have Norton Antivirus, which came with my new computer. I used to use AVG, but it turns out that AVG does not recognize as many viruses as Norton does.

What else is there to mention? I do not have a history of getting viruses, because I am careful of where I go. I also clear out my cookies at least every few days, I avoid advertisements, I even check for viruses at least once a week, but only because I am in bed sleeping when Norton checks for me.

Also, the glitch is starting to happen under this line/on this line (under at the time that I was typing it, on this line for when I am done typing).

Have a nice day.
So this occurs when you type?
Well, I've quoted your ENTIRE post.  And it's not happening to me.  I think it's on your end...

Also, DON'T use Norton OR McAfee.  Any popular virus scanner is easy to get around by virus makers.  Try something like BitDefender, or some other non-mainstream antivirus software.

Salanewt

I can't, because I am paying for Norton already (besides, it is actually very good, considering that it is updated almost all the time, so it really does work).

I am not disagreeing with you that it is on my end. Still not sure why it only happens here though.

Have a nice day.