News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Unused psynergy animations

Started by Tetsuya the Azure Blade, 07, November, 2009, 01:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Hm... When we can add animations, then this should not be too hard, right? Oh well, I shouldn't say much right now, at least not until I add animations into Superstar Saga (different programming, but playing around with scripts in both).

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Sajin

Quote from: Role on 06, December, 2009, 08:39:49 AM
Quote from: Sajin on 07, November, 2009, 02:58:38 PM
Yup, I searched high and low but I believe there even more unused psynergies.
Also, why do you wanna put scythes in the game?
Scythes and spears both make an appearance in the original Golden Sun games.  As such, we have precedent for such weapons.  Menardi and Karst both wielded Scythes.  Pretty much every single guard NPC had a spear.  This is why I used scythes and spears as the other two weapon options.

I did not use bows for one big reason:  The attack animation is "run up and hit the thing".  That's really stupid to do with a bow.  Instead of pulling my hair out trying to make bows work, I figured "screw it, bows can stay the hell out of my hack".  The arrow psynergy may show up as a field psy, but I know not of any way to totally change what animation is used for attacking when one specific kind of weapon is used.

Spears and Scythes are easy to implement.  Just make weapon animations for them, and treat them as any other weapon.  All we need then is to figure out how certain equipped items change which animation is used.  Thus, assign the appropriate animation augment to the item and BAM!  Implementation.

Now that you mentioned, it seems easy enough. Also, why not use the same way for bows? If you attack normally it will strike the enemy in melee style but bows also bestow the psynergy "Strafe", or something like that, to "cast a arrow created by psynergy". Just an idea.

Rolina

Quote from: Sajin on 10, December, 2009, 12:26:42 PM
Scythes and spears both make an appearance in the original Golden Sun games.  As such, we have precedent for such weapons.  Menardi and Karst both wielded Scythes.  Pretty much every single guard NPC had a spear.  This is why I used scythes and spears as the other two weapon options.

I did not use bows for one big reason:  The attack animation is "run up and hit the thing".  That's really stupid to do with a bow.  Instead of pulling my hair out trying to make bows work, I figured "screw it, bows can stay the hell out of my hack".  The arrow psynergy may show up as a field psy, but I know not of any way to totally change what animation is used for attacking when one specific kind of weapon is used.

Spears and Scythes are easy to implement.  Just make weapon animations for them, and treat them as any other weapon.  All we need then is to figure out how certain equipped items change which animation is used.  Thus, assign the appropriate animation augment to the item and BAM!  Implementation.

Now that you mentioned, it seems easy enough. Also, why not use the same way for bows? If you attack normally it will strike the enemy in melee style but bows also bestow the psynergy "Strafe", or something like that, to "cast a arrow created by psynergy". Just an idea.
...Because that's NOT HOW YOU USE BOWS.  Let me explain something to you, in plain english.  The attack command consists of an animation where YOU RUN UP AND HIT THE ENEMY.

Tell me:  how the hell does that make sense WITH A RANGED WEAPON LIKE A BOW?  Also, like I've already said, you'd have to make an entirely different animation argument EXCLUSIVE FOR BOWS.  Plus, if you give them strafe, they cannot bestow ANY OTHER psynergy.  Effectively becoming a piece of crap weapon type.

Salanewt

Well, it is not possible right now, but it could be in the future, so... Lets just agree to disagree for now, before we get to be too off topic.

Also, it seems that changing the attack animation in the editor does not do anything, so there must be something more to it, which means that it could be possible eventually (not now though).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Sajin

Quote from: Role on 10, December, 2009, 01:06:09 PM
Quote from: Sajin on 10, December, 2009, 12:26:42 PM
Scythes and spears both make an appearance in the original Golden Sun games.  As such, we have precedent for such weapons.  Menardi and Karst both wielded Scythes.  Pretty much every single guard NPC had a spear.  This is why I used scythes and spears as the other two weapon options.

I did not use bows for one big reason:  The attack animation is "run up and hit the thing".  That's really stupid to do with a bow.  Instead of pulling my hair out trying to make bows work, I figured "screw it, bows can stay the hell out of my hack".  The arrow psynergy may show up as a field psy, but I know not of any way to totally change what animation is used for attacking when one specific kind of weapon is used.

Spears and Scythes are easy to implement.  Just make weapon animations for them, and treat them as any other weapon.  All we need then is to figure out how certain equipped items change which animation is used.  Thus, assign the appropriate animation augment to the item and BAM!  Implementation.

...Because that's NOT HOW YOU USE BOWS.  Let me explain something to you, in plain english.  The attack command consists of an animation where YOU RUN UP AND HIT THE ENEMY.

Tell me:  how the hell does that make sense WITH A RANGED WEAPON LIKE A BOW?  Also, like I've already said, you'd have to make an entirely different animation argument EXCLUSIVE FOR BOWS.  Plus, if you give them strafe, they cannot bestow ANY OTHER psynergy.  Effectively becoming a piece of crap weapon type.

No need to get all worked up on an idea that I though up out of the blue. I just remember something familiar that I saw in a mmorpg and said it. Sheshh...

Rolina

No need to get worked up?  You should know by now how much I hate repeating myself.  Especially because I'd pretty much JUST SAID it.

Sajin

Yes, I know. But if you're repeating yourself over and over how about just ignore the person? Either way, just ignore the idea if you don't like it. On the other hand, I like the idea and may polish it up and implement it on a hack.

Rolina

Which one?  The spears and scythes idea?  Or the Arrows ones?  Because it's going to take an epic feat of coding to get Bows and Arrows to work properly.

Salanewt

Whatever it takes, I will be willing to work on it (of course, I am busy with Superstar Saga, so it will be a while). Since some time in June or July, I have wanted to try to implement ranged weapons, so I could give it a shot. My goal would be to create a duplicate of "Attack" through coding, which uses a different animation. Of course, we already know that changing Attack's animation does not actually change it completely, so we will have to wait for the script/function(s) that use(s) it to be found. When it is found, it can be duplicated, and the duplicate can be assigned a different animation, which will be unchangeable as well. This second animation could work for some ranged weapons... It might be best to have a few duplicates when possible so there can be different ranged weapons than just bows, like javelines, special (scripted) axes (throwing axes), and even explosives (for my hack anyway, but just a few). This might be a bit difficult, since I have tried copying scripts before and their flags normally seem to be broken (or the script does not work properly).

The animation is either assigned this way, or so that each weapon has a built in index, where their animation is chosen... This is much more unlikely though, looking at how similar items and equipment are programmed (unless the index includes all items, but only shows it if they are made into weapons). Atrius will have to tell us for sure.

Oh yeah, Role? Scythes might be able to be implemented with what we currently have, but it would look a bit odd for a Spear to be swung at somebody, because spears are normally used in a thrusting motion (either above arm or below arm is fine). All of Golden Sun's other weapons use the forward swing animation.

Now we are WAY off topic.

For my hack, I am planning on using the possible animation for "Charm", with the hearts. In fact, I think that there was a djinni that had a similar effect... Could you please give me the animation and argument for "Charm", since I am planning on trying to implement Charm into the game... I will talk about it in one of the other topics.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Go make a topic for trying to figure that out.  Let me know if it works.  And if it does, how you did it.

Salanewt

For making Charm, or copying the attacking script to change animations? The Charm idea I can probably do, the other one will require me to at least have some knowledge of Golden Sun's data, and I do nto know too much of it (nor do I want to, since I am still doing lots of work with Superstar Saga, and soon its sequels). However, I can try it in the future, maybe.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

I meant Bows and Arrows, though.  Charm seems simple enough... it's got a chance to do the same thing as Mold I figure.

Salanewt

AH, Mold! Thanks, that was the djinni that I was searching for! Also, for adding Bows... This will definitely take some time, and might be safer to duplicate the script... With ARM? I am still learning a lot about hacking binary files. When I know how to safely duplicate scripts and functions, as well as getting them to work, then I can start working with Bows and Arrows.

Have a nice day.

Roareye

Since nobody asked about that yet, and I seem to not be able to find the answer myself...

Here's a question, guys - what's the number of that Burst-ish psyenergy animation in that youtube video posted at the beginning of this thread? Can't figure it out by myself, and It would be nice to know where it is, considering I'm testing now how some psyenergies will work with different animations.

Thanks in advance,

~Roa

EDIT: Thanks a lot. And I'm more than happy to know that Golden Sun hacking isn't dead yet.
I may be a bit rusty now... but lightning still flows through my veins.

The moon of Jupiter.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Oh that's animation 165 argument 4.

Rolina

It's not dead, just moving at a crawl.  We've done almost everything we can until the next release of the editor.