News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Custom BBCode Commands

Started by Atrius, 11, November, 2009, 07:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

[heightmax=440][nicovideo]http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3069003?alt=Hatred[/nicovideo]

[nicovideo]http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2599123[/nicovideo]

[nicovideo]http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4752984[/nicovideo][/heightmax]

[heightmax=# in pixels] Content [/heightmax]

The scroll bar only appears if necessary on compatible browsers so don't count on it to actually work for everyone.  In fact, Internet Explorer doesn't even support the tags necessary for it to work.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

If you still use IE, you deserve the crap you get.  Firefox/Chrome FTW!

Also, I wish they'd finish making that OP.  Ending it halfway is kinda... eh...

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I usually use Internet Explorer. (Though, for GBATEK, I use Firefox, due to a strange error I get there somehow..)

Thanks for the bbcode.. I'll just test it right here....

Quote[heightmax=60]Height 1

Height 1[/heightmax]

[heightmax=60]Height 1

Height 1[/heightmax]
[heightmax=60]Height 2

Height 2[/heightmax]
^No horrizontal scrollbar in IE, {yet, it is in firefox, and google chrome... (checked as guest)}

[heightmax=60]Height 1

Height 1[/heightmax]

[spoiler=test][heightmax=60]Height 1

Height 1[/heightmax][/spoiler]

v
[heightmax=0]Height 1, just testing [/heightmax]
^ And we can do heightmax=0 for hiding our post stuff. (Not from HTML view, however..)

Quote from: AtriusIn fact, Internet Explorer doesn't even support the tags necessary for it to work.
Hold on, the scrollbars are appearing for me...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

Huh... I guess newer versions do.  Older ones definitely didn't.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Is there an Image Left and Image Right tag?  One to let images be in line with text?

Atrius (He/Him)

The left & right align tags for text work for images as well.

Rolina

I meant to make them in-line with text.  Image Left tags cause images to show up on the left, while the text works around it.  Likewise, Image Right allows it to be in-line with text, but on the right side

Atrius (He/Him)

[imgleft]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/AtriusV/Games/Golden%20Sun%20Project/th_Kari_00-1.png?t=1285715058[/imgleft]
[imgright]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/AtriusV/Games/Golden%20Sun%20Project/ColossoGirl.png[/imgright]M'kay let's test these out, and see if they work then.
So this is more what you want?
[imgleft]image url[/imgleft]
[imgright]image url[/imgright]

Rolina

Yup, that's what I was going for.  Being able to put images in line with text can make things much more aesthetically appealing, especially in a lot of the types of posts I make.

I have, yet, another idea... Pretty much like a table, but instead, with all the cells over-lapping...

[tabbox=height][tab=Title of Tab 1]Content of Tab 1[/tab][tab=Title of Tab 2]Content of Tab 2[/tab]...[/tabbox]

(EDIT: Where height could be optional, with out it, it extends to the last line of the longest tab.)

Helpful for quick access to categories.. (For example, if you wanted to explain each section of the editor in separate tabs.)

EDIT: With Browsers that don't support this, you could probably do detection, and turn the tab titles into URLs of #tabname, to make it skip down to the appropriate section? Kinda like the CONTENTS section on Wiki.

Though, either way, the CONTENTS BBCode is more-ly recommended, if tabbing is a problem. (Since it's perfect for linking from other pages... to a specific location in a post.) (I forget, but I think it was the <a name=NAME>Content</a> and <a href=#NAME>Link Title</a> in HTML.?

As for that imgleft/right code, sounds good, I'll try it out sometime...? Though, I would have thought [alignleft]content[/alignleft] and [alignright]Content[/alignright] would have been even more useful.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

There are already tags for aligning content left/right built into SMF.

[left]content[/left]
[right]content[/right]

Doing it with images, and allowing text to flow around them takes extra code attached to the img tag so they need a separate one.

Tabbing would probably take a lot more work than it's really worth.  I could definitely do something with in-page links, though there are some potential problems I need to work out first.

Rolina

The first lines randomly indent themselves.  WTF.  I had to use a premptive tag to get them to not do so - apparently, they indent every line up until a tag.  May wanna find that error.  ANYWHO:

Yeah, I'm with atrius.  How the images are aligned within the post are much more different than one would think at first. Basically, here's the difference:

Standard [img] tag:

Greetings to the epic discussion thread.  What can you expect, well...
Epically awesome discussions I guess.  Heck, we even have pictures every
now and then.  I mean, look!  It's a THUNDERSTORM!
                [ A                 ]
                [ W       H       P ]
                [ K       U       I ]
                [ S       G       C ]
                [         E       T ]
                [                 U ]
                [                 R ]
Here I am talkin [                 E ] -BAM, lightning strike,
baby!  See how cool that was?  Oh yeah, babes, that looks leet.

Now, I dunno about you, but when I'm making a post and it contains in X-BAWKS HUGE PIC, I prefer it to NOT double the length of my post by forcing everything around it to be above or below it. The solution?  Organisation!  Remember, computers are idiots.  No exceptions.  Just because it makes sense doesn't mean that a computer knows how to do it.  So a SEPERATE command is needed to make this asthetically pleasing.

[imgleft] example:

[ A                 ] believe that pictures and text should work
[ W       H       P ] together.  As you can plainly see beside
[ K       U       I ] me, Chuck Norris, Kamina, and freaking
[ S       G       C ] Leluche have joined forces in support of this
[         E       T ] thread.  That's better than a stupid picture
[                 U ] of commonplace weather phenomenon, EDT. Yeah.
[                 R ] Hell, I hear Usain Bolt's even trying to join
[                 E ] us, though he's already probably moved on
by now, when you think about it.  Man, that guy is fast.

As you can see, it's nice and neat and aligned prettily.  Of course, then you have things like:

[imgright] example:

• Epic Listing Thread.                          ___________________
    • This Thread is comprised of ordered lists.   [ X                 ]
    • It is affiliated with the TEST, thus         [ -                 ]
      opposed to the EST.                                [ B                 ]
    • Usain Bolt was INDEED here, but he left like [ A                 ]
      three seconds later.                               [ W       H       P ]
    • Instead, bow down to the nice picture of our [ K       U       I ]
      glorious queen, Role.                              [ S       G       C ]
    • She standing triumphantly over her most      [         E       T ]
      recent victory.  Or sitting.  Or something.        [                 U ]
      It's one of those randomly changing pics she's     [                 R ]
      so fond of.                                        [                 E ]
    • Of course, we put in on the other side, because if we didn't then
      our epic list would be all fugly, and of course we just can't have
      that, now, can we?  Role'd kill us!
    • No she wouldn't.  Her motto is "Why kill, when you can
      torture?", after all.

As you can plainly see, there is indeed a need for such things, you'll see most often that Character sheets require any pictures to be aligned to the right so as to not disrupt the rest of the character sheet.  Pics aligned to the left are great for, say, storytelling.  You're doing a clan lore post, and it's a LONG one. To make it NOT a solid brick wall of text, though, you put a nice pastel-shaded picture next to the plot-related point that the picture is of.  Aligned to the left, of course, so that it doesn't interrupt the story, but rather blends in with the story.

[img] cannot do that.  Can NEVER do that.

Dunno WHY we'd ever need an [imgcenter], so I really see no point to ever getting it.  I mean, really - you can work around left and right and resolution is ignored, but any fancy formatting you try to do with center has one HUGE flaw - on any width EXCEPT the one you used, it'll look like crap. So yeah, pretty much EVERY RESOLUTION BUT THE ONE YOU USED will make the post eye-gougingly disgusting.  As such, just stick with left and right inserts.  For really long stories, you may want to alternate left and right inserts, and possibly use a, oh, say Justified aligned text  Can we do that, atrius?  Or do we run into the same problems with resolution?

QuoteThere are already tags for aligning content left/right built into SMF.

content
    content

Doing it with images, and allowing text to flow around them takes extra code attached to the img tag so they need a separate one.

Oh, that's nice to know, except content doesn't "wrap" around those.. from what I'm aware of, lol. (Which was the difference from my "[alignleft], [alignright]" idea, so maybe I want a caption on my image...)

Well, either way, imgleft, and imgright, should be useful.. :)

QuoteTabbing would probably take a lot more work than it's really worth.

Hm.. that's what I was beginning to think...

QuoteI could definitely do something with in-page links, though there are some potential problems I need to work out first.

I figured in-page links would be easy enough...

GS Speedrunning
    /r/Golden Sun
    GS United Nations
    Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

Ah, that's right, there is another way of doing it.  I completely forgot about it, but I could make tags similar to the [imgleft] [imgright] that would work for any type of content.  It seems a bit much for a forum setting, but if there's a demand for it I'll remove the image tags in favor of all purpose ones.

Edit:
    [border]
    Usage

[float=side (left, or right)]content[/float]
    [border]content[/border]

Remember! [border]
    - tags go inside of
     [float] tags.

:!:
    :Kraden:  

[/border]

Meh, what the heck, why not.

My Avatar
    I'll even include a border tag so that you can add a border to them easily without having to go through all the trouble of doing the full code for a table.
    Unfortunately center isn't even a possible option with this method, not that there would be many uses for it anyway.

I imagine you could do quite a bit of advanced stuff with these tags, enjoy!

Rolina

Oh, nice.  Do the imageleft/right tags still work, or will we have to go update old posts?