News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Atrius' Artwork

Started by Atrius, 14, November, 2009, 07:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

Tough crowd, eh?  Seems to me you're looking for a finished product before the basic design of the character is decided, good, serves me right for relaxing my standards too much.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Looks fine to me. I can't criticize people's artwork 'cause the only thing I can draw is a........STICKMAN!
Srsly I can't draw for crap.....

Charon

Nice. Can't wait to see your "blender" GS-like sprite.

MaxiPower

Quote from: MegaDarkNero on 19, April, 2010, 11:15:11 AM
Looks fine to me. I can't criticize people's artwork 'cause the only thing I can draw is a........STICKMAN!
Srsly I can't draw for crap.....

Word!... Even my stick men look out of proportion. If i had a scanner you would see them first hand, Looks good Atrius, you did a fine job on the chest design thingy...

EDIT!

Quote from: Corvidae on 19, April, 2010, 04:49:44 PM

To rights, he does a top notch job there....

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 19, April, 2010, 10:53:33 AM
Tough crowd, eh?  Seems to me you're looking for a finished product before the basic design of the character is decided, good, serves me right for relaxing my standards too much.
You asked for honest critique, not a sugar coated pat on the back.  I delivered.

Atrius (He/Him)

"blender" ?

I should really do one of the community hack characters as a GS sprite though, shouldn't I?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Atrius on 19, April, 2010, 11:05:53 PM

"blender" ?

Oh, I copy/pasted Mia's head onto Jenna's body for lulz.....

MaxiPower

Quote from: Atrius on 19, April, 2010, 11:05:53 PM

"blender" ?

I should really do one of the community hack characters as a GS sprite though, shouldn't I?

How long does would it take for you to do one.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

It just depends on how much time you have, or if you can remember to finish a bit of the sprite off and NOT sit around for four hours watching random youtube videos........

MaxiPower

Quote from: MegaDarkNero on 20, April, 2010, 03:43:52 PM
It just depends on how much time you have, or if you can remember to finish a bit of the sprite off and NOT sit around for four hours watching random youtube videos........

Okay then how long would it take if you sat in a sprite creating mood and new what you had in mind.... In both mind and body you were focused.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

If I had my own pc, about a few hours.
On this crappy family pc, maybe a week if I felt like working on a sprite. Then I'm writing the storyline for an rpg I wanna do if there's someone here who's good at using rpg maker then I'd appreciate the help (or gs hack, though it REALLY doesn't fit gs's style of gameplay as there's NO WAY that I'd be able to work around the djinn system with Aurablade's storyline in mind)

Now we're REALLY off topic, so let's take this somewhere that's more relevant to what most of these last few posts are about.....

Atrius (He/Him)

My technique doesn't involve combining old sprites though.

I do seem to recall throwing out the name of a program called Blender as a free alternative to what I actually use to make them though, which is Maya.

Hey look it's Kari

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 21, April, 2010, 12:47:00 AM
My technique doesn't involve combining old sprites though.

I do seem to recall throwing out the name of a program called Blender as a free alternative to what I actually use to make them though, which is Maya.

Hey look it's Kari
Dunno... Look at them side by side with a GS Adept.

:Isaac:

Notice how off it looks.  Just like with all the "Silver Moon" sprites, it doesn't look like it fits into GS.

Atrius (He/Him)

Glad you appreciate my effort, I'll be sure to put the same care into fixing it as you did in being sure to criticize it in a way that's not just basically saying that it sucks.
*twitch*

MaxiPower

OMG Atrius you rock... You said you were gonna do it and bam its done... and it looks amazing.... Life just isnt fair on my part....

I'm gonna try my hand again at that blender to give it a second attempt but I just cant get the proportions right nor even were to begin. I was hoping for a way to import any of the sprites such as Felix etx to use as a starting point on size etc but it seems not possible

@ Role, Indeed My sprites look terrible, the only one that looks a bit decent was and thats only because I didn't make it, I paid some dude on youtube 15 dollars to make it (maybe a bit to much) but hey, I was relieved to get one done even tho it didn't include all the nodding things etc. So the rest of the worser looking ones are basically placeholders until I can get somebody else to carry the flag....

Anyone wanna make some extra cash lol :)

Salanewt

That Kari sprite looks pretty good Atrius. The usual Golden Sun idle animation is different, but that is just more evidence that the animations do not always need to be the same (in fact, I was planning on making a sprite that swings its arms sometimes when not walking). Anyway, when can we expect more of your artwork?

And MaxiPower... I could try making some sprites for you today if you want (I keep putting it off because I have been busy, but also because I have never attempted overworld sprites before). Oh, and it would be free of charge (similar to my offer to work on character concept art for people if they do not want to pay money for it, which actually surprised me when nobody seemed to acknowledge my offer in the character submissions topic). A few reasons for this are because sprites and drawing only become a chore when I am so busy on them. If I make them at my own leisure, then I feel more compelled to finish them on time.

And now I am almost completely off topic, sorry Atrius.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

MaxiPower

Quote from: Salanewt on 21, April, 2010, 08:04:34 AM
That Kari sprite looks pretty good Atrius. The usual Golden Sun idle animation is different, but that is just more evidence that the animations do not always need to be the same (in fact, I was planning on making a sprite that swings its arms sometimes when not walking). Anyway, when can we expect more of your artwork?

And MaxiPower... I could try making some sprites for you today if you want (I keep putting it off because I have been busy, but also because I have never attempted overworld sprites before). Oh, and it would be free of charge (similar to my offer to work on character concept art for people if they do not want to pay money for it, which actually surprised me when nobody seemed to acknowledge my offer in the character submissions topic). A few reasons for this are because sprites and drawing only become a chore when I am so busy on them. If I make them at my own leisure, then I feel more compelled to finish them on time.

And now I am almost completely off topic, sorry Atrius.

Have a nice day.
Oh wow really, REALLY! wooooooooo.... I,ll PM you dude

+ 1

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Salanewt on 21, April, 2010, 08:04:34 AMThat Kari sprite looks pretty good Atrius. The usual Golden Sun idle animation is different, but that is just more evidence that the animations do not always need to be the same (in fact, I was planning on making a sprite that swings its arms sometimes when not walking). Anyway, when can we expect more of your artwork?

If you pay close attention, none of the idle animations are exactly the same, even if it's just a small detail like the character turning their head a different direction, or the timing being a little bit different.  Of course Isaac & Felix have more elaborate animations as well.
[sprite=0,9,7]Isaac[/sprite][sprite=1,1,7]Garet[/sprite][sprite=2,1,7]Ivan[/sprite][sprite=3,1,7]Mia[/sprite][sprite=4,9,7]Felix[/sprite][sprite=5,1,7]Jenna[/sprite][sprite=6,1,7]Sheba[/sprite][sprite=7,1,7]Piers[/sprite]

The beauty of my technique is that once I finish the base model, I can have sprites for each pose I've made in every direction needed really quickly.

Salanewt

Oh yeah, I never noticed that. Well, I am looking forward to seeing what you will make next Atrius.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: Atrius on 21, April, 2010, 11:05:11 AM
Quote from: Salanewt on 21, April, 2010, 08:04:34 AMThat Kari sprite looks pretty good Atrius. The usual Golden Sun idle animation is different, but that is just more evidence that the animations do not always need to be the same (in fact, I was planning on making a sprite that swings its arms sometimes when not walking). Anyway, when can we expect more of your artwork?

If you pay close attention, none of the idle animations are exactly the same, even if it's just a small detail like the character turning their head a different direction, or the timing being a little bit different.  Of course Isaac & Felix have more elaborate animations as well.
[sprite=0,9,7]Isaac[/sprite][sprite=1,1,7]Garet[/sprite][sprite=2,1,7]Ivan[/sprite][sprite=3,1,7]Mia[/sprite][sprite=4,9,7]Felix[/sprite][sprite=5,1,7]Jenna[/sprite][sprite=6,1,7]Sheba[/sprite][sprite=7,1,7]Piers[/sprite]

The beauty of my technique is that once I finish the base model, I can have sprites for each pose I've made in every direction needed really quickly.

Nice as always Atrius. Here's one I've just finished working on. (just showing him to you guys while we're on the subject of sprites)
I've named him Relind. I may make a full sprite sheet for him if I feel like it ^-^