News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Atrius' Artwork

Started by Atrius, 14, November, 2009, 07:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charon

The battle sprite... hrm, not so sure about it. Looks a bit too pixelated... the colours are a bit of an eyeburn too, but the last sprite sheet is awesome.

MaxiPower

QuoteThe beauty of my technique is that once I finish the base model, I can have sprites for each pose I've made in every direction needed really quickly.

Any Chance next time you make one, you record it and speed it up and post it on YouTube to act as a tutorial?
:Venus: :Mars: :Neutral: :Jupiter: :Mercury:

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Maxi: That's actualy something that I was thinking.... It'd be good if he DID do that though!

Atrius (He/Him)

Battle sprite?  I didn't make a battle sprite.

Actually since I already have an old model I made for someone else, I don't make them from scratch any more.  I just edit that basic model into different characters.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Quote from: MaxiPower on 21, April, 2010, 06:40:25 AM
OMG Atrius you rock... You said you were gonna do it and bam its done... and it looks amazing.... Life just isnt fair on my part....

I'm gonna try my hand again at that blender to give it a second attempt but I just cant get the proportions right nor even were to begin. I was hoping for a way to import any of the sprites such as Felix etx to use as a starting point on size etc but it seems not possible

@ Role, Indeed My sprites look terrible, the only one that looks a bit decent was and thats only because I didn't make it, I paid some dude on youtube 15 dollars to make it (maybe a bit to much) but hey, I was relieved to get one done even tho it didn't include all the nodding things etc. So the rest of the worser looking ones are basically placeholders until I can get somebody else to carry the flag....

Anyone wanna make some extra cash lol :)
Terrible's a little strong.  Let's just say they're Beta sprites.  They'll work for the time being, but they're not gonna be what you use in the final product.  You know, kinda like how the REAL golden sun did things.  Just look at the Beta psys and Beta S&M.

Charon

Quote from: Atrius on 22, April, 2010, 12:50:29 AM
Battle sprite?  I didn't make a battle sprite.

Actually since I already have an old model I made for someone else, I don't make them from scratch any more.  I just edit that basic model into different characters.
Oh, that may have been Salanewt's signature then...

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 21, April, 2010, 12:47:00 AM

Hey look it's Kari

OH MY GOD I JUST REALIZED WHO THAT WAS! XD

WOW, I'm slow...

It's a great first step, though I don't think Jenna's... pose fits her.  But hey, gotta start somewhere, right?  I thought this was one of your characters up until I gave this thread a re-read! XD

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 25, April, 2010, 03:46:42 PM
Quote from: Atrius on 21, April, 2010, 12:47:00 AM

Hey look it's Kari

OH MY GOD I JUST REALIZED WHO THAT WAS! XD

/FaceNuke lol

You should copy/paste it into your thread with the character art

Rolina

No, not yet.  It's a good beta sprite, but right now it looks too close to being a palette swap of Jenna.  Needs a little bit more work, especially with how she has her arms.

MaxiPower

Rolina

Jenna was clearly used as the base.  For starters, look at the arms/hands.  She's the only one who's got that out-pointing hand style.  Second, the ponytail was cearly based on jenna's on many of the sprites.

Dunno where the lower half came from, though, don't remember any person sprite with pointy-looking feet.

I should note, though... Huge hair is HUEG.  It's not that long.  A straight palette swap of Jenna would have looked closer lengthwise, actually.

Atrius (He/Him)

QuoteDunno where the lower half came from, though, don't remember any person sprite with pointy-looking feet.

Probably because I made it completely from scratch, so it is not just a palette swap, or minor edit of Jenna or anyone else for that matter even though her pose is similar.  I'll take the fact that you assumed I cheated on it as a compliment that I did in fact mimic the style well enough that it doesn't "look off" too terribly.

I don't do straight palette swaps, but I will make the ponytail smaller.  What sort of pose would you like to see her in?  Standard hands pointing down, or something customized?
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

More of an Isaac or Felix pose, really.  She was conceived as a lead/main character type.  As for the ponytail, a minor edit of Jenna's would probably work pretty well.  Or perhaps Mias...

[sprite= 0, 1, 0]Isaac[/sprite][sprite= 0, 1, 1]Isaac[/sprite][sprite= 0, 1, 2]Isaac[/sprite][sprite= 0, 1, 3]Isaac[/sprite][sprite= 0, 1, 4]Isaac[/sprite][sprite= 0, 1, 5]Isaac[/sprite][sprite= 0, 1, 6]Isaac[/sprite][sprite= 0, 1, 7]Isaac[/sprite]
[sprite= 3, 1, 0]Mia[/sprite][sprite= 3, 1, 1]Mia[/sprite][sprite= 3, 1, 2]Mia[/sprite][sprite= 3, 1, 3]Mia[/sprite][sprite= 3, 1, 4]Mia[/sprite][sprite= 3, 1, 5]Mia[/sprite][sprite= 3, 1, 6]Mia[/sprite][sprite= 3, 1, 7]Mia[/sprite]
[sprite= 4, 1, 0]Felix[/sprite][sprite= 4, 1, 1]Felix[/sprite][sprite= 4, 1, 2]Felix[/sprite][sprite= 4, 1, 3]Felix[/sprite][sprite= 4, 1, 4]Felix[/sprite][sprite= 4, 1, 5]Felix[/sprite][sprite= 4, 1, 6]Felix[/sprite][sprite= 4, 1, 7]Felix[/sprite]
[sprite= 5, 1, 0]Jenna[/sprite][sprite= 5, 1, 1]Jenna[/sprite][sprite= 5, 1, 2]Jenna[/sprite][sprite= 5, 1, 3]Jenna[/sprite][sprite= 5, 1, 4]Jenna[/sprite][sprite= 5, 1, 5]Jenna[/sprite][sprite= 5, 1, 6]Jenna[/sprite][sprite= 5, 1, 7]Jenna[/sprite]

Actually, yeah, Mia's ponytail is closer to the size I'm looking for.  Maybe a mix of Isaac's and Felix's stances for her stance (though they're simliar, they're not quite the same...).

Atrius (He/Him)

Rolina

Oh, nice.  Real nice. ^-^

I'd love to see her animated...  Maybe idle, walking, and running animations?

Atrius (He/Him)

Probably needs some upper body rotation, and her whole body should bob up & down, but it's a start:

It kinda looks like just her hair is bobbing up & down the way it is now, though it should be her whole upper body...  It'll get fixed though.

Rolina

[sprite=0,2,7]walk[/sprite][sprite=4,2,7]walk[/sprite]

Yup, decent start indeed.

Atrius (He/Him)

Rolina

[sprite=0,2,0]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,0]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]
[sprite=0,2,1]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,1]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]
[sprite=0,2,2]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,2]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]
[sprite=0,2,3]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,3]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]
[sprite=0,2,4]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,4]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]
[sprite=0,2,5]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,5]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]
[sprite=0,2,6]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,6]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]
[sprite=0,2,7]walk, baby, walk![/sprite][sprite=4,2,7]walk, baby, walk![/sprite]

Nice! ^-^
I like how she's slightly taller than Felix and Isaac.  I mean, she's older, and obviously would have grown more than the other two.  Nice touch.

You see?  This is exactly why I don't call the 'sub-par looking' sprites as bad, but rather beta.  They're a great start, and when you work with them a little bit more, put in a little more blood, sweat, tears, and love, they shine really well.  So remember, Silver Moon guy, your sprites aren't bad - they're just in beta form!  Don't let the criticism get to you, think of them more like suggestions for tweaking and improvement.

I really wanna see more like this, and not just the characters myself and TNS came up with, either!  It'd be really cool if we could have a full sprite sheet for all the characters that we wind up voting on.  That way, even if we don't get them put into the community hack, someone else may say "Hey, I like that.  I wanna use that model for my hack!" and then BAM, it's easy to plug in!  All we have to do is make sure we've got our eyes focused on consistent quality. ^-^

MaxiPower

Great job Atrius. Its unfortunate that the dood behind the editor is also the sprite whiz because of how you had to spread your time around.

But yea, hopefully other people can follow your lead, im still getting nowhere with this blender tho