News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Atrius' Artwork

Started by Atrius, 14, November, 2009, 07:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

I don't do artwork often, but I still like to on occasion.

First here are a couple older pieces of work I'm somewhat fond of.

Nathan Thatcher Chibi-ized, in fact the very same Nathan I suggested as a Jupiter Adept for the GSDG.  Also seen in this animatic

This was originally a character design for a Film Noir style animation that never got finished.

A 3D model I made of an Axe design created by someone else.

A 3D model of the Master Sword from Zelda.

World of McCraft Box Art Photoshop - There are parts of this that could have been done a lot better, but it's still one of my favorite pieces of work.

And now, since I enjoy seeing how art goes from a rough idea to the final product, I'll show the Mercury Banner at several points in it's creation process as I make it.  Keep in mind it's going to take a long time since I can only work on it in my spare time alongside the many other things I do.

Rough Sketch

At this point I decided to handle each character one at a time.  Since I'm using Photoshop, I can easily do this by keeping them on separate layers.

Alex: Line Art

Mia's sketch was moved to it's own layer (As well as Alex's water ball), which had it's opacity reduced to emphasize the fact it's just to be used as a guide.

Alex: Basic Colors

Fairly simple, just selecting colors for him.  I just used the eyedropper tool on a piece of official artwork.

Alex: Shading (Incomplete)

Started adding shading to Alex.  Also brought the water ball back on it's own layer after tweaking it, and adding a nice glow effect.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

I like your digital stuffies, but the only problem I have with it is that your proportions are a little wonky. For example, your hands in the Alex pic are far too small (hands are evil anyhow. I mean, why do we have hands! We might just be better off without them) and they look... very unusual. The thumb should be fatter than the other fingers, which is probably why the hands look so strange to me :p

Other than that, I like it. It's got an interesting style to it that I like.

Your 3-D weapons are very nice. I suck at rendering lol

I WANNA PLAY WAR OF McCRAFT SRSLY

Salanewt

Lol, almost looks like it would be a fun game, if we could play it.

Also, I like these Atrius. Charon is right about the hands, but everything else is very good. I would say that the weapons are my favourite.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Hmm, the hands are a wee bit... tiny on the Mercury one.  Remember proportions - A hand, when open, should be about the size of the person's face.  For example, spread your fingers out on your hand, then place it up against your face.  Notice how it pretty much covers the whole thing?  Yeah, that.  

Sajin

Lol War of McCraft.
Very nice artworks. I really like the second one. And Alex's too, although his hands are a bit weird. Nice job!

Atrius (He/Him)

Every single time I draw people the hands end up tiny.  I try to adjust for it, but somehow they're always too small anyway.  I'm just surprised no-one has mentioned that he has the neck of a giraffe.

For the World of McCraft thing, I just had a weird thought one day "What if they made an MMO about something extremely boring, like working in a fast food restaurant?"  Then a couple days later in class we were given an assignment to photoshop video game box art into something else  :happy:
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Lower the head and make the hand the size of his face.  Balled up in a fist, it should be half a face big.

Charon

Quote from: Atrius on 15, November, 2009, 11:03:26 AM
Every single time I draw people the hands end up tiny.  I try to adjust for it, but somehow they're always too small anyway.  I'm just surprised no-one has mentioned that he has the neck of a giraffe.
Ha, I didn't even notice. Probably because the hands irked me =_=

Anyhow, a good way is to just draw a sort of tear drop shape, about the size of the character's face. Then, you can separate the tear drop into two parts, the bottom being the palm and the top being the 4 main fingers. You can then draw the fingers individually. With Alex's pic, with the hand that has the blue energy orb, think of the tear drop as two dimensional, then bend it along the middle where the palm separates with the fingers. The other hand should just be enlarged and it will be fine :3

Atrius (He/Him)

It be Nathan for the community hack.  Yes I drew it myself, that's why it's below the workmanship standards of the designs Role commissioned.  Does anyone have any suggestions for improving his character design though?

Rolina

Hmm... well, aside from the obvious proportion tweaks that would be needed, the arms seem really... weird.  Hard to really describe it well... it's just... kinda... O.o

Salanewt

He looks pretty good. However, with the way his one arm is bent, it almost looks dislocated. I mean, it looks like his arm is supposed to go forward, yet his hand is behind his back. I would also make the corner of his head a bit rounder (even if only slightly), and some of the folds on his pants too. Other than that, I would say that he should work quite well as a character for almost any type of game/story.

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Yeah, I screwed up the perspective on his left arm, ,and broke his right wrist.

Any comments on his actual design itself?

Aile~♥

...Give him an F-Zero helmet and he'd look like Captain Falcon. O.o
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 28, March, 2010, 04:57:26 PM
...Give him an F-Zero helmet and he'd look like Captain Falcon. O.o
I thought that too! FALCON PWNCH!!!! (pun ( or should that be pwn) intened)

Aile~♥

Post has been deleted to the best of my ability.

Atrius (He/Him)

This is exactly why the community hack boards are closed off to the general public.

Aile~♥

We actually never did that in the old community hack boards. Everything was more-or-less on topic, but Role got pissed off about all the cameo ideas out of Salanewt and I, though Salanewt continued them even when I stopped.

Atrius (He/Him)

Let me rephrase that then, I'm trying to work on something, and you're posting distracting useless messages.  It's rather rude.

Aile~♥

There. I got rid of it as much as I could.

And you're right. If I'm gonna spam anywhere, I should do it in the Cbox, since we don't really have a spam board.

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 28, March, 2010, 05:59:48 PM
Let me rephrase that then, I'm trying to work on something, and you're posting distracting useless messages.  It's rather rude.
*puts hand on shoulder* Welcome to the club, man... welcome to the club.  Ask for a serious discussion and actual help, and all you get is the nonsensical mumblings of a couple kids...  I feel your pain.

Another thing that'll probably get cleared up when you get color is the stripes - they make me think bones or something.  Weird, huh?

As for some sketch-period advice, the upper half seems proportionally large compared to the lower half.  From the waist down, it starts to look a little off.  The facial hair looks a little weird, too, but it could just be his expression.   Finally... Draw a line down the middle of the sword.  Er, up the middle of the sword.   It misses the hilt.  May wanna fix that!