News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Motivation

Started by Zach, 21, November, 2009, 02:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach

So um....yeah, for the last few days (or a week maybe?) I haven't been here that much (or at all) and that's due to me losing motivation to hack. Like right now, I have no motivation to continue my hack atm (but I want to finish it). And that's motivating me to not come here ._. . So what's a good way to get motivated to continue on with my hack?

Atrius (He/Him)

I find a good way to keep motivated is to actually play through the game, and think about the things you want to change.  Then you may start coming up with more ideas for what you want to do too.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I do not know, but I've always thought that whenever you do too much of something, there's a chance that you will get bored of it after awhile, but that doesn't mean you should ever quit anything, maybe you just need a break,....? (Ofcourse playing through the game is sorta like a break from hacking.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Sajin

You can't take hacking too seriously! Hacking is like a hobby not a job. If you don't feel motivated try playing Golden Sun again or other game so you get ideas to implement in your hack! I personally haven't played your hack but from what I saw on youtube is looking very good and I hope you don't give up on it.

Salanewt

Some advice on what I do... I not only play through the game again, but I also try hacking other aspects if you are bored with a certain thing.

For example, tired of working on enemies? You can go to psynergies, or even items. However, if you are bored of all of it, then a break would be nice.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Zach

Quote from: Atrius on 21, November, 2009, 02:30:18 PM
I find a good way to keep motivated is to actually play through the game, and think about the things you want to change.  Then you may start coming up with more ideas for what you want to do too.

That might work

Quote from: charleysdrpepper on 21, November, 2009, 03:30:30 PM
I do not know, but I've always thought that whenever you do too much of something, there's a chance that you will get bored of it after awhile, but that doesn't mean you should ever quit anything, maybe you just need a break,....? (Ofcourse playing through the game is sorta like a break from hacking.)

I've been on a 2-3 week break o.o. I wanna go back and work on it, but I'm still not all the motivated <.<

Quote from: Sajin on 21, November, 2009, 04:01:55 PM
You can't take hacking too seriously! Hacking is like a hobby not a job. If you don't feel motivated try playing Golden Sun again or other game so you get ideas to implement in your hack! I personally haven't played your hack but from what I saw on youtube is looking very good and I hope you don't give up on it.

I do treat it like a hobby. In fact, I barely have time for it! (if i maximize my time, then I'll have 1 hour, 3 at the most) However, I really would like to finish it but I'm just being a little lazy about it I guess <.< .

Quote from: Salanewt on 21, November, 2009, 06:01:24 PM
Some advice on what I do... I not only play through the game again, but I also try hacking other aspects if you are bored with a certain thing.

For example, tired of working on enemies? You can go to psynergies, or even items. However, if you are bored of all of it, then a break would be nice.

Have a nice day.

Well, editing the enemies do become boring, but I do have to do the ones on Atteka Continent. BUT, I do do psynergies and EVERYTHING else o.o. However, my favorite thing to edit is the classes and I still need to finish the last 6-7, but I don't have any ideas for them ¬.¬ . Hmm....maybe that's the problem; Boredom, and lack of boredom. Maybe that's why I'm not motivated...

Salanewt

It could be. If you don't have any ideas, playing other games always seems to work (and get me motivated sometimes as well).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Zach

Alrighty then, thanks for you guys help. I will try them and get back with you on them

Sajin

No problem Zach. Always a pleasure to help out a fellow hacker. Oh, and good luck with your hack!

Rolina

Ah!  You're like me!  Motivation comes in waves, you see.  Sometimes you're going along as norm, then you'll just not feel like it much at all.  Then, after a while, you'll get a flash of inspiration, and totally ditch everything else to go work on it, and the cycle continues...

For example, right now, I'm a LOT less active here, because of a flash of inspiration I had with my Kingdom Hearts RP system.

Salanewt

Seeing this topic reminds me that I need more motivation... Or rather, a better way to plan my activities. We are working on the Superstar Saga editor, but I would also like to work on at least three hacks, each for different games. On top of that, I have school (rarely any homework though, because of my study period) and am leaving in about three weeks.

So, right now, I am only motivated to work on the editor, but I really want to work on these three other hacks (well, the Golden Sun isn't much of a hack, unlike Pokemon Sapphire and Superstar Saga). Any ideas as to how I can spread out my motivation to work on all of them (hehe)?

Have a nice day.