News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Porting the program to other OS's

Started by AVW, 24, December, 2009, 11:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AVW

What are your plans for, as the title says, porting the program to other OS's? The best times are sooner times for suck things. Also, on a slightly related topic do you plan on opening your source at some point in time? (drools) I'd like to say I'd be able to help but as of this moment I don't know much more than a little bit of C++ and some scripting languages (perl, bash). Thanks for making a great program (even though I have to run it on virtualbox X.X).

EDIT: After looking through the forum I found that it is in pascal (GML) and C. . . . Maybe you could possibly make the core engine in C/C++? It would improve the speed issues some people seem to have, I'm sure. Although it definitely wouldn't be an easy job, especially since the program is still (obviously) being worked on extensively. Let me see what I can learn a pascal compiler for Unix based OS's.
EDIT2: If it exports Pascal, then it can be used on a bunch of OS's ( http://www.freepascal.org/ ). Unless the Pascal source is very platform dependent. Then someone would have to go through a bit of trouble to port it, but it would be possible. Also how portable are the C files?
EDIT3 (once again xP): Would a change from Pascal (GML) to C/C++ be endorsed if it were to be attempted (if you open the source). Also it would be amazing if you could add in an ability to use a scripted language in the program (most likely with python, as that is what everyone uses for that xP).

Atrius (He/Him)

GML is not the same as Pascal.  GML is an interpreted language used by a program called Game Maker.  As such, GML is not portable at all, and since the bulk of the program is written in it, practically the entire thing would have to be remade.

The parts that are written in C++ would be fairly easy to port though.  Porting the entire program over is something I have been considering, but I'm still a bit of a novice at C++ right now.

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Quote from: AVW on 24, December, 2009, 11:25:39 AM
Thanks for making a great program (even though I have to run it on virtualbox X.X).
Let me see what I can learn a pascal compiler for Unix based OS's.
Huh? you use a unix based os? my pc is a BOBB with an old version of XP (BORING OLD BEIGE BOX) (but I'm REALLY wanting a compy with 7)

AVW

The pascal part was about this post -
Quote from: weckar on 23, May, 2009, 07:05:00 PM
Okat, I did some reasearch, but anyone (especially Atrius   ) is free to correct me, because I'm not the best at checking my sources:

Core engine was written in GML (also known as G-Script), a language with a standard exportation through a program called Game Maker. When exporting the code is converted to Delphi, an object driven deviation of Pascal: A core, non-convertable language.
the DLLs on the other hand are C-based. therefore those SHOULD be convertable but would require a rewrite of the core engine to be used.

In short, much more work that it's worth...
But that is wrong then I guess I am kind of screwed. But if it is right then you should be able to get Pascal source from the GML (if not with the GM program than with something third-party) and Pascal is easily ported to other OS's.
Let me google a bit more about GML and GM, and I'll see if there is any possibility for this.
EDIT: It seems it shouldn't be too hard to port by hand to C/Pascal, according to this. Let me see if there is a program for this. Also it would have to switch from DirectX to OpenGL or something of the like - that sounds not fun  :sad:

Quote from: MegaDarkNero on 24, December, 2009, 05:59:00 PM
Quote from: AVW on 24, December, 2009, 11:25:39 AM
Thanks for making a great program (even though I have to run it on virtualbox X.X).
Let me see what I can learn a pascal compiler for Unix based OS's.
Huh? you use a unix based os? my pc is a BOBB with an old version of XP (BORING OLD BEIGE BOX) (but I'm REALLY wanting a compy with 7)

Yes, a Unix based OS (Linux in this case). I am currently sort of in-between OS's, but I'm going to either switch to Gentoo or ArchLinux soon (after dabbling in a few distros, leaving my cherry-popper, Ubuntu, as the main).

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: AVW on 24, December, 2009, 07:14:49 PM
It seems it shouldn't be too hard to port by hand to C/Pascal, according to this. Let me see if there is a program for this. Also it would have to switch from DirectX to OpenGL or something of the like - that sounds not fun  :sad:

Ignoring the fact that Gamemaker itself handles a MASSIVE amount of the low level functioning of the program, and I don't have access to it's source, that would still take a rather considerable amount of effort.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

AVW

There are a few able programmers on these forums from what I've read, maybe they could lessen the load?

Charon

I`m no programmer, but I`ve got buddies that may be able to help - especially for Ubuntu and other Debian based OS`s.

If this helps, when I use WINE in Jaunty (haven`t tried with Karmic but there`s no reason why it should be different), the window opens and functions with the exception of the fact that the entire window is black :P

AVW

Quote from: Corvidae on 25, December, 2009, 04:40:19 PM
I`m no programmer, but I`ve got buddies that may be able to help - especially for Ubuntu and other Debian based OS`s.

If this helps, when I use WINE in Jaunty (haven`t tried with Karmic but there`s no reason why it should be different), the window opens and functions with the exception of the fact that the entire window is black :P
Exactly what I experienced, and for me that is unusable. Maybe a CLI version could be made in the interim between porting (seeing as DirectX is the issue), if it is decided to do make a Linux port. I think there may be more Linux users than Mac users on these forums - already that's a good sign. I use Karmic and I get the same result, for a more on topic comment.

Charon

Instead of changing the editor itself, could it be possible to make a hacked WINE that has DirectX configured? It probably is a bit crazy, but it would be useful for more than just the editor.

AVW

That would be much harder, because DirectX is owned by Windows/Microsoft and it is closed source.

Charon

BAH BLOODY MICROSOFT always foiling my plans

Hrm, well, I`ll see if any of my programming buddies can help in conversion. They are pretty busy people though... -_-

AVW

You might want to check with Atrius about the source (what license he will use, if he actually wants to open source it, etc.)

DarkCrescent

I'm on a Mac, and right now I'm running the Editor (v.0.4) through a wrapper I found, wineskin. It seems to works mostly, but the text editing is unbearably slow. Like, deleting a line of characters takes about a minute. And I mean sixty seconds, and I'm using decent hardware. But, I know that people do custom engine builds for it. I have no experience whatsoever in that area, but if anyone else is using a Mac, there's a potential solution.