News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Class System Hacking Topic

Started by Rolina, 30, December, 2009, 01:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

Huh...  Ability effects you gain a 25% chance to perform?  I didn't see that one coming.

Thanks for the information again, Teawater.  You've proven to be quite a big help on the hacking end of things.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

Edit: NM, stupid.

So it increases effect rate of some skills. THAT's certainly useful.

And in the enemy section... would that be immunity to some effects?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteWait, so any time you attack you have a 25% chance to activate those abilities?
A 25% GREATER chance than its base value chance.

QuoteAre they given as secondary effects to your regular attack, or what? Is it just the ability's secondary effect?
It's when you use an ability that has the listed effect. If it is listed, than the ability gains a 25% success rate. I don't think there is anything secondary.

P.S. And whoops, almost missed y'all's post, due to my post being at the end of the page. I also want to note that you know how there are two "May inflict stun"? Well, I think the second one gets three checks for success, just like two others. (I edited my last post.)

I am also still researching the code to see if we can somehow give enemies classes. Edit: Since that's the one thing that puzzles me about this right now.

Edit:
QuoteAnd in the enemy section... would that be immunity to some effects?
Actually, I think those are weaknesses to some effects...  (Edit: It is still part of the 25% greater success rate.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

QuoteI am also still researching the code to see if we can somehow give enemies classes. Edit: Since that's the one thing that puzzles me about this right now.

I don't believe so.  I think the closest thing is the 28th byte in enemy data, it's used to assign the elemental values displayed at the bottom of the enemy editor.

Enemy data: 0x080B9E7C
Enemy Elemental data: 0x080C6684
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

You obviously missed my edit. And yes, number 85 seems to have a higher success rate than number 23. And now we need to go check and see if Avimander has a weakness to 23 and 85, since he seems to stun easily.

Okay, than I have a question.

I know that 02030A12 is based on the Enemy number (it is off by 8, I know.), but it seems like the class value is supposed to be at 020309F1? But it is 0, so I was wondering if there is any way the game changes that value...

Edit: Actually, maybe it does use the character's class value in that function, I need more research... I mean, with one of the args being the data pointer, couldn't it work both ways? Edit again: That also explains why the enemy numbers are off by 8, the player characters are those.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Hmm, this is very interesting... keep up the good work, guys - anything which helps refine the editor is great in my book.

Still... This is about abilities, right?  I'm not certain how it ties to classes, or did I miss that part?

Oh yeah, you must have missed that part.

I posted here with the intention of explaining the unknowns in the class editor only to find out that the ones in the Enemy Editor were also related.

Anyway, I think I know now.

Class Editor Abiltity Effects = The enemies get the 25% bonus chance of success when using an ability on someone of the class that has that ability effect listed.

Enemy Editor Ability Effects = The characters get the 25% bonus chance of success when using an ability that has an ability effect losted in the Enemy's weaknesses.

I think this is how it works? It would also explain why the enemy numbers are off by 8.. (0 - 7 are the player characters.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Wait, so the numbers at the bottom of the class screen refer to specific abilities?  So it's basically ailment weakness or something like that?

They refer to ability effects Not abilities themselves. The abilities which are being used should have the matching ability effect for the 25% bonus.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Huh...

I think I understand what you mean...  Still, just to make it clearer, can you make a visual aid?

Circle the value you're talking about, explain what the number refers to and point out which effect it's calling.  Also, are there some classes that resist an ailment, or is it only vulnerabilities?  Do some classes have multiple weaknesses or strengths?

Once you fully figure this out, a guide to understanding how it works and how to use it would come in really, really handy.

Salanewt

I see where the values are for enemies - between the ability slots and the coin value. However, I am a tad bit confused for how it works for classes. It would appear that the editor has them listed as shorts, but it seems like they should be bytes instead. Their effect weaknesses would end up being quite different depending on which they are:

Bytes: 3340 becomes 0D0C, should be 0C 0D, which becomes 12 and 13. This means that a class value of 3340 would make these classes vulnerable to defence lowering attacks (such as Impair and Debilitate).
Short: 3340 contains two effects, and this seems to be Confusion and Death Curse. However, this option doesn't seem to make any sense in the long run...

My best guess is that they are bytes instead of shorts.

Oh, and did I explain this accurately? I might make a guide later if I did.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Ah, so it's a weakness rather than a proficiency. Does Avimander have weaknesses to Effects #23 and #85? Would explain a lot if it did.

Atrius (He/Him)

I was beginning to wonder why enemies would have ability effects set that they would never use themselves.

As for the enemy numbers being off by 8, the pointer that I gave you is the pointer that the game uses the majority of the time.  I had noticed there were 8 entries before the main list, and suspected it might have had something to do with the PCs.  It's impossible for the game to use those slots for enemies though since the way it normally looks them up those slots would have negative indexes, and I couldn't figure out what they were used for so I've pretty much ignored them up till now.

@Salanewt, yes they are bytes, but the editor displays them as shorts right now.  This will obviously need to be fixed.

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 02, January, 2012, 09:51:20 PM
Ah, so it's a weakness rather than a proficiency. Does Avimander have weaknesses to Effects #23 and #85? Would explain a lot if it did.
Remembering that you use a Mac, I take it you do not have access to the editor.. Mmmkay... It says:

90 - Avimander = 12, 13, 24

12 - Drop Defense by 25%
13 - Drop Defense by 12.5%
24 - May inflict sleep

I assume that is correct.

Edit:
QuoteIt's impossible for the game to use those slots for enemies though since the way it normally looks them up those slots would have negative indexes, and I couldn't figure out what they were used for so I've pretty much ignored them up till now.
This may be true as long as the comparison that checks if it is a PC or an enemy is made..., otherwise you'd get something like this...

r0 = 08001000 (just a random number)
r1 = FFFFFFFF (Say this is Piers. 7 minus 8)

Pretend there is like 0x10 data per an entry for something.

r1 << 4
r1 = FFFFFFF0

ldr r2, [r0, r1] //You can add negative numbers, you know. (Ex: 08000FF0)

08000FF0 (FFFFFFF0) = Entry 7
08001000 (00000000) = Entry 8
08001010 (00000010) = Entry 9

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden