News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Pokémon!

Started by Ninja Steve, 02, January, 2010, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Yeah, the separation of Physical and Special from typing was a VERY good thing for the series.  Now the addition of what looks like some more tactical combat involved with the 3v3 battles (I had before thought it's just another gimmick, like the 2v2 battles were, but it actually is showing enough complexity to be kind of fun... could do wonders in the Battle Frontier), we've got 100% new pokemon until the Nat'l dex.

I'll agree with one big thing - they lack a lot of the detail of the early mons, when you look at the modern art for the series, period, even the old-school mons are lacking a lot of the detail the once had.  Too few have been uncovered for me to really give a decent opinion so far on the new mons, but just as with the older ones, they're hit and miss for me.  Some I love, others are... ugggh.

What I'm wondering, though... what's the big new thing being introduced in this gen?

1st introduced the series as a whole
2nd introduced many expansions, such as genders, breeding, and 'shinies', as well as the introduction of the 'battle tower'.
3rd introduced an option other than just battling, as well as the pokemon abilities.  It also expanded battle tower into the 'battle frontier'.
4th introduced a more refined battle system, as well as Wifi capabilities.
5th we know has actual online play, as well as what looks like more strategic battle possibilities, but what else will it bring?  Just those couple alone wouldn't really be enough for a full on new generation, especially since it's not even gonna be for the 3DS, but instead on the same console as an existing gen...

And that's not all the expansions each gen has given - those are just the ones off the top of my head.  With each gen, the system gets more refined and perfected.  While you can make the fuss of not liking the mons in the new gen, you'd be a fool not to get it for that reason alone - you can ALWAYS toss them aside and get your old-school team.  New mons aren't the only features worth checking out.

One big question, though - is it worth getting the games as they come out, or should we wait for the expansion pack?  Or will they surprise us and actually give us a direct sequel for once?  It's not easy to play Platinum when you've played the hell out of Diamond or Pearl, after all - one great way to remedy that is to not make the third game like an expansion pack, and instead make a whole new story instead.  After all, a lot of us are catching on - some people didn't get Sapphire or Ruby so they could just get Emerald instead, some waited for Platinum, and now I for one will be waiting for Gray/Sepia/whatever they'll call the third game before I start actually playing.

You can bet I'll be planning my team out, though.

MaxiPower

Red/Blue + Gold+Silver + Mudkip evos + Turtwig evos are the best...

Until I see the final evos of the new B+W monsters im calling crap as they all look to kiddie

Salanewt

Yeah, they do look childish. They would look a bit better if they were to have more than just rounded edges, as it looks like their bodies are made of circles and curves.

Oh, I have a random question... I was trading with my friend when I was glitched into the Mystery Zone. Long story short, I can not leave now. Does anybody know of Action Replay codes that can poison and/or kill each of the six members in my team? Yes, haha, I am asking for cheat codes. However, I have never used codes for Platinum before, and I even wiped my device (which is now only used for emergencies, like this).

Lol, maybe we get a fiery warthog? So far, if I were to get one of these games, I would just go for the pig. It would be best to wait and see how the gyms and Elite 4 would be first though.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

I have a feeling that they're using rejected ideas for pokémon from previous games these days.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

The grass one looks like a ripoff of Treecko, the fire one looks like a combination of Spoink and Aron, and the water one looks like a deformed Piplup >_<

leaf

A lot of the new pokemon look more like mario characters or something. I just checked them out on serebii... some are cool but others are just... why?
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Of course, this is a new generation that they have spewed out, now that they are tired with the one that they created a few years ago. I might have to start saving Master Balls for the legendary Stickmen pokemon though.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

Quotethey all look to kiddie

That applies to all non-evolved pokemon, you know...

Salanewt

I suppose so, but even some of the recent legendaries look childish (like Manaphy, for example). They are well suited for a cartoon, but they barely match the art style used so far in the games. Also, does anyone agree with me when I say that a pokemon can not die of poison outside of battle is a stupid idea?

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Mew and Celebi look pretty childish as well.  Hell, they look perfect for a cartoon.  I always personally thought mew looked pretty stupid, actually.

ALL pokemon designs are hit and miss.  MOST first stage pokemon are cute and childish, but guess what, THEY GROW OUT OF IT.  Your arguments here fail because they can be applied to every generation.  Judge not by nostalgia, and instead by actual gameplay when it comes out.  Honestly, sometimes I really don't understand that part of the poke-fandom... bashing anything that's new without valid reasons...

MaxiPower

Quote from: Role on 11, August, 2010, 04:32:38 AM
Mew and Celebi look pretty childish as well.  Hell, they look perfect for a cartoon.  I always personally thought mew looked pretty stupid, actually.

ALL pokemon designs are hit and miss.  MOST first stage pokemon are cute and childish, but guess what, THEY GROW OUT OF IT.  Your arguments here fail because they can be applied to every generation.  Judge not by nostalgia, and instead by actual gameplay when it comes out.  Honestly, sometimes I really don't understand that part of the poke-fandom... bashing anything that's new without valid reasons...

I hate when people say that, I detest it, Look at the first 3 then the latest 3, theres no contest on which look a tad more badass. Your point in saying wait till it comes out before making judgement doesn't effect me. I was always open to new Pokemon in GS / RS so nostalgic doesn't play any part in it, I simply think the new starters look trash.

Any other game there was at least one starter that stood out thus I would pick, now I have no idea.

Salanewt

Yeah, starter Pokemon used to allow the player to select based on either the type, or on what stood out the most to them. However, starting with the fourth generation, it was only the evolutions that stood out (with the exception of Turtwig, who was not as bad as the other two). Now it seems that we have to be forced to choose by type, evolutions (which we will have to spend a little bit of time for), or on what we know about upcoming gyms. I mean, I would choose Piplup over Turtwig because of the type (water + steel), and for the fact that most of the gyms/Elite 4 would be weaker. Of course, there is a greater need to create a whole team instead of making a single Pokemon into a superpower, but with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, we have:

Rock
Steel
Ghost
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
Fighting

Fire
Bug
Earth
Psychic

So basically, If we take a look, Empoleon would be better against the majority of these, since it is also of the Steel type (and the whole point of the list was to show that it seems like Nintendo now expects us to pick based on how easy it would be to play the game, instead of picking our favourites). Basically, the only weaknesses that I am aware of would be Fighting, Electric, and Grass (unless you manage to evolve Piplup/Prinplup into Empoleon, as Grass is not effective against Steel).

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Empoleon is a special attacker, though - its physical attack stat sucks, so there's... what, one, maybe two steel type special attacks in the game?  You're better off doing what metagame players do anyways - have all your bases covered.  Have either 3 attacks of varying types and one support skill, or four different types of attacks.

Salanewt

That is true. However, I just use Steel as an extra defence (for example, to help against Grass), and then I normally fill up with water or ice moves. I was also lucky this time round to have an Empoleon with a nice base Attack, so I suppose that has something to do with it as well.

Also, I made it out of the Mystery Zone (aka, Misery Zone), so I can play again. Not sure if I will do very much more after that frightening experience though.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

Every generation, this is what happens:

People want a new Pokemon game.

Game is announced, and everyone says that Pokemon should just give up and die.

Some Pokemon are revealed, and everyone says that they look like c***.

Game comes out, people go buy it anyway despite all the complaining.

People then promptly start discussing how completely awesome it is.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 16, August, 2010, 03:06:39 AM
Every generation, this is what happens:

People want a new Pokemon game.

Game is announced, and everyone says that Pokemon should just give up and die.

Some Pokemon are revealed, and everyone says that they look like c***.

Game comes out, people go buy it anyway despite all the complaining.

People then promptly start discussing how completely awesome it is.

THANK YOU.

This is why I hate people who keep whining about it.

Salanewt

Yeah, that is basically it. To be honest though, I never started playing other Nintendo games until after the release of the third generation (including Pokemon, since I only really used to play Mario/Yoshi/DK and Zelda), and I decided that it was best to avoid complaining about the fourth, and now I am catching up on the fifth (but I love that white legendary).

Have a nice day.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

QuoteI love that white legendary
You mean Reshiram, right? Yeah, the new legendaries are gonna be awesome.

Rolina

I've never been a big fan of legendaries... So you all know my attitude will be "Meh" as it's always been.  I really don't find them all that legendary personally.  Afterall, surely if it was that great I'd want it on my team... y'know?

leaf

Quote from: Role on 17, August, 2010, 12:38:16 PM
I've never been a big fan of legendaries... So you all know my attitude will be "Meh" as it's always been.  I really don't find them all that legendary personally.  Afterall, surely if it was that great I'd want it on my team... y'know?
Am I the only one that found this completely nonsensical in regards to the rest of the post?
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]