News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Pokémon!

Started by Ninja Steve, 02, January, 2010, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I've never liked legendaries that much.  I don't see them as being all that great, so they go straight to my box.  In EVERY generation it's been like that.  Maybe I just worded it wrong?

Aile~♥

Quote from: leafgreen386 on 17, August, 2010, 08:44:49 PM
Quote from: Role on 17, August, 2010, 12:38:16 PM
I've never been a big fan of legendaries... So you all know my attitude will be "Meh" as it's always been.  I really don't find them all that legendary personally.  Afterall, surely if it was that great I'd want it on my team... y'know?
Am I the only one that found this completely nonsensical in regards to the rest of the post?

No. Role doesn't like legendaries because they ARE legendary. They have crazy-high stats, good type combos, and generally unfair special moves.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

And they look awesome too.

Hoopa

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 18, August, 2010, 06:52:03 PM
No. Role doesn't like legendaries because they ARE legendary. They have crazy-high stats, good type combos, and generally unfair special moves.

Yet... they can always be taken out by any other pokemon... >.>
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Aile~♥

Well, not ANY other Pokemon, and it requires strategy.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

leaf

Quote from: Whizkidhv on 18, August, 2010, 10:24:38 PM

Just because shedinja can laugh at half the uber metagame doesn't mean that every pokemon can. Take infernape. That thing rapes in standard play, but throw it in an uber match and suddenly it's not so fearsome.

Quote from: RoleI've never liked legendaries that much.  I don't see them as being all that great, so they go straight to my box.  In EVERY generation it's been like that.  Maybe I just worded it wrong?
It sounds more like you don't like the designs of legendaries, rather than thinking that they're weak, because it's simply fact that there are some legendaries that are leagues above the other pokemon (mewtwo says hi), even if others are indeed vastly inferior to non-legends (poor regigigas).
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Charon

Legendaries are strong (with a few exceptions of course), but their designs are lacking (then again, a lot of gen 4 and gen 5 Pokemon have been lacking in design). I'm really quite on the fence if I want to get generation 5, because most of the Pokemon look like Sugimoribarf, but it might be interesting to see some new strategies pop up (although I am really hating 3-3 battles). It really depends on how the game adjusts with the new 100 billion or so Pokemon.

Salanewt

Well, 3-3 battles look mediocre to me, since the double battles were fine themselves. I would consider getting one of these games if:

1. There is a Light type (hopefully super-effective against Ghost and Dark, so "Wondertomb" is not so wonderful), and

2. More slots on my team. I mean, I would prefer to bring at least 10 Pokemon around with me instead of 6.

The design lacks sufficient detail. Overall, the third generation had the most unique Pokemon (like Rayquaza, Tropius and Milotic), and then it seems that they replaced their art team for the following generations. I mean, why again do we have the Psychic trio? Virtually no significant detail, and they all look the same. At least with the three birds, it was obvious that they differed.

Have a nice day.

P.S. I can celebrate my Shiny Articuno now, right? I caught it a week ago, and managed to make it level 100 even more recently.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

Quote from: Salanewt on 19, August, 2010, 12:43:45 PM
1. There is a Light type (hopefully super-effective against Ghost and Dark, so "Wondertomb" is not so wonderful), and
It already exists: Psychic.

Quote2. More slots on my team. I mean, I would prefer to bring at least 10 Pokemon around with me instead of 6.
Uh... not happening. It's been 4 generations of having 6 pokemon on a team with 4 moves each. You really think they'd change that now?

QuoteP.S. I can celebrate my Shiny Articuno now, right? I caught it a week ago, and managed to make it level 100 even more recently.
Why couldn't you celebrate it before?
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

1. True, but that form of "light" can not even touch Dark. It would be nice to have something to be able to add to my team to help fight the Dark + Ghost combinations (which have no weaknesses, so one could easily create a "Supereye" or something if they give it Wonder Guard as an ability).

2. I change my mind about what I said. However, I initially wanted it because of the 3-3 battles.

3. I was stuck in the Mystery Zone until last week. If using Walk Through Walls (my friend had two Action Replays and wanted me to try one out), never enter the Union Room from behind the Pokemon Center clerk and trade. Luckily, codes exist to allow me to change my coordinates, so I just flew away. I suppose I could have celebrated it after getting out, but I was too tired of Pokemon at that point (and I also only brought it to level 100 very recently).

Oh yeah, I might brag about my team, which I want to be able to transfer to the next generation.

[spoiler=Team]
Espeon
Vaporeon*
Arcanine*
Suicune
Articuno*
Latias*

* - Shiny.[/spoiler]

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

Nice. 4 shinies.

And just run something with STAB and a decent atk/satk to take down spiritomb. Yeah, it's a good wall, but it's far from unbeatable. Sableye is a horrible pokemon. And it doesn't matter if you could cheat to make a wondertomb, because that's uh... you know... an illegal ability for it?
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Rolina

Quote from: leafgreen386 on 19, August, 2010, 12:16:53 AM
Quote from: Whizkidhv on 18, August, 2010, 10:24:38 PM

Just because shedinja can laugh at half the uber metagame doesn't mean that every pokemon can. Take infernape. That thing rapes in standard play, but throw it in an uber match and suddenly it's not so fearsome.

Quote from: RoleI've never liked legendaries that much.  I don't see them as being all that great, so they go straight to my box.  In EVERY generation it's been like that.  Maybe I just worded it wrong?
It sounds more like you don't like the designs of legendaries, rather than thinking that they're weak, because it's simply fact that there are some legendaries that are leagues above the other pokemon (mewtwo says hi), even if others are indeed vastly inferior to non-legends (poor regigigas).

A little from column A, a bit from column B.  Not a big fan of a lot of the designs, but more than that, it's a me thing.

Let me put it like this - in SRPGs, I only use the main characters if I'm FORCED to.  I stick to generics because I just like them more.  Sure, the non-generics have better growth rates and unique skills, but I prefer the generics.  Pokemon is the same way - if I can't find multiples or breed it, then it's box fodder and nothing more.

Salanewt

QuoteNice. 4 shinies.

Thanks.

As for the illegal ability, that is true. However, it doesn't always stop people from using it.

Have a nice day.

Charon

It's annoying when you go onto the Wifi battle tower and see someone with all shinies in their party. Especially if they're ones that are impossible to get via Pokeradar or legendaries. Regardless, its funny when you kick their butt. hehehehe

Besides, non-shiny Eric the Honchkrow still kicks some serious whoop-@#$, so I don't really care that much for them anymore. But congratulations, Sala.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

QuoteLet me put it like this - in SRPGs, I only use the main characters if I'm FORCED to.  I stick to generics because I just like them more.  Sure, the non-generics have better growth rates and unique skills, but I prefer the generics.  Pokemon is the same way - if I can't find multiples or breed it, then it's box fodder and nothing more.
WTF? That's the total opposite of how I play.

In SRPGs, I ALWAYS use the main characters, generics are just plain boring.
Anyone who has the exact same skills, class or sprite, I just don't use 'em. SIMPLE.

Same in Pokemon, I DO use non-legends a lot though, I almost never breed 'em or catch the same Pokemon more than once, unless I want a Raichu with Volt Tackle.

Legendaries, unless they're lameasses like Regigigas, are in my party most of the time.   

Salanewt

I play in the middle. I do like to use the main characters/legendaries, but only if I have worked on them or if I feel like working on them (unless if they are like Dialga or Rayquaza in Pokemon, then I use them for my Legendary Collection). For example, my current team consists of three legendary Pokemon, but they are not the upper class legendaries... Latias holds a Soul Dew, but that is only because I can not think of a better item to give it. Out of my whole team, my Espeon has the best Speed (277), and my Vaporeon has the best HP (375, but its speed is little over 130). They are not legendaries, but they have better stats than many of the other Pokemon which I have worked on.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

The thing about legendaries - how are they legendary if everyone has one and is using them?

Back in RGBY, EVERYONE had Mewtwo on their team, and quite possibly one of the legendary birds as well.  Where's the fun in it when everyone's using the same guys since they're considered "uber"?  It's like playing Disgaea with Baal on your team.

Salanewt

I just call them that because they are at the end of the generation, and they do not evolve. I can see your point about them not being legendary if everyone can have them. In fact, for the GBA/DS games, the only true legendaries are really Celebi, as I do not believe that anybody can get her without codes (oh, and Arceus does not count, since many people use codes to capture it at Spear Pillar, which is where you can find it with the Azure Flute). Pokemon like Mewtwo, Kyogre and Dialga can be found by everyone who owns the games, pokemon like Lugia or Entei can be found in the Gamecube games, and pokemon Ho-oh, Mew, Deoxys, and Lugia (again) can be found if you have the special events (something which anybody with an Action Replay can access). The legendary beasts do roam in FireRed/LeafGreen, but you can only get one (and even then, you can just snag them all in Colosseum and trade them over).

To summarize, every legendary except for Celebi can be obtained in Pokemon, whether it be through normal gameplay or through event activation codes (or by trading from one game to another). I think that there is a Jirachi event for Platinum, so you can get it at level 5 from somebody in a PokeMart.

Have a nice day.

Edit: It seems that there is a Celebi event for Heart Gold/Soul Silver? Okay then, I guess that there really is no true legendary anymore.

leaf

Wow, you're complaining about them being called legendary? Fail. Who cares what they're called? What makes them special is that you can only obtain them once per game, and they have abnormally high stats.

And sala, just fyi, there is a legendary capable of evolution. Phione ring a bell?

Quote from: Charon the Ferryman on 20, August, 2010, 11:17:18 AM
It's annoying when you go onto the Wifi battle tower and see someone with all shinies in their party. Especially if they're ones that are impossible to get via Pokeradar or legendaries. Regardless, its funny when you kick their butt. hehehehe
Actually, through RNG manipulation, you can get a shiny legendary pretty quickly. Whether it'll have a good nature/IVs or not, though, is an entirely different story. To get the right nature/IVs in some cases, you might have to wait several days (in actual game time), at which point if your timing is off by even a frame, you'll miss it.

[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Salanewt

QuoteAnd sala, just fyi, there is a legendary capable of evolution. Phione ring a bell?

It is true that Manaphy hatches out of an egg, and lays eggs that hatch Phione. However, Phione can not evolve. Almost in a way like comparing a Queen Bee, as they can lay eggs, from which larvae hatch, and then can only become either Workers or Drones unless they are nourished in Royal Jelly. Phione is like a Worker Bee, as it can not lay eggs but it has a similar appearance. By the way, please understand that I forget why I brought up Bees in particular.

QuoteWow, you're complaining about them being called legendary? Fail. Who cares what they're called? What makes them special is that you can only obtain them once per game, and they have abnormally high stats.

Not necessarily, what you say would otherwise be true. They mostly have amazing stats, and they are rare (through normal play, without cheats or trading, only one can be found per save file). Pretty nice to have when playing the game normally, or if showing them off to your friends. Getting a Shiny Mesprit would be awesome, as would be a Shiny Cresselia (as they wander, so you can not guarantee them to be shiny without the use of codes). I am just saying that it is quite easy to get them.

1, Not cheating: While there might only be one during each game, one with a friend could trade all of their legendaries, erase their file, and then trade them back. One could very easily get at least 10 Dialgas within a week, just by trading back and forth. Still easy to get some legendary Pokemon, especially for honest people. There is also the fact that Manaphy lays Eggs, so it is very easy to get as many Phiones as you want (but I think that it has mediocre stats compared to several of the other legendaries). Without erasing my file, and just trading between my own games, I myself can get 3 Articunos (4 if I count the roaming one in Platinum).

2, Codes: And then we have re-battle codes, allowing the player to cheat to constantly re-battle legendary pokemon. If sticking with codes, we even have a very simple cloning code now, so one could clone entire PC boxes within seconds. There are so many codes for creating pokemon, whether it be by team replacement, wild encounter (which now comes with one for pokemon, nature, level, etc.), or re-battle. Heck, one can even steal from trainers with 99.9% chance of leaving with a Pokemon instead of a Bad EGG, and there is a shiny code that works on all Wild, Egg, and Trainer Pokemon.

It is certainly true that not everyone cheats (including myself, only having tried walking through walls in Platinum with my friend's AR), but there are practically millions of ways to get them. On top of that, not everyone who plays Pokemon is honest, and some of these methods make it much harder for them to be blocked on Wi-fi. I mean, I could just trade my beautiful Articuno, but have it waiting in my PC for a new Regice partner.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Sorry for the numerous paragraphs, but I have so much to say about legendaries.

Edit: I forgot to mention Emerald. One could very easily steal some top-grade Pokemon from the Battle Factory, if using Walk Through Walls and Warp codes. I will not go into too much detail with that though, since it does not allow you to steal legendaries.