News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Pokémon!

Started by Ninja Steve, 02, January, 2010, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

The only time I use cheats is to complete my pokedex, and (if I ever find the codes to do so) beat the freaking contests, which are IMPOSSIBLE for me to do. I have crappy hand eye coordination, and slow reflexes, and the 'dancing' parts of contests (which seems to boost your 'score' the most) need those to be good.

I wish they never 'improved' the contests, in the gba games, I COULD ACTUALLY BEAT THEM, now it's just ridiculous, I fail at even the easiest level contests (lol).

It's a good job that you don't NEED to complete every rank in every category, or I'd never be able to beat the story >_>

Salanewt

There could actually be codes for contests. As for Pokedex, I hate using codes to complete it. This way, I can tell whether I have really captured a Pokemon or not. I can also continue to play the game, as I have something to work towards after killing everyone. As for ribbons, there is a code generator that I used to make a coordinates code, Pokesav. You can do many things with it, including creating a Pokemon with ribbons. There might be a code for Platinum floating around, and I think it guarantees that you win contests... I would have to find it again though. Come to think about it, I might start using codes for Platinum. I need to reset my Action Replay after a glitch with Kingdom Hearts, but I could probably come up with a nice little list of codes for Platinum. In fact, I think there was even a Weather modifier code somewhere...

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Quote from: Role on 19, August, 2010, 10:35:19 PM
Let me put it like this - in SRPGs, I only use the main characters if I'm FORCED to.  I stick to generics because I just like them more.  Sure, the non-generics have better growth rates and unique skills, but I prefer the generics.  Pokemon is the same way - if I can't find multiples or breed it, then it's box fodder and nothing more.

In SRPGs, I use main characters more than anything. I mean, they have a large and unique skill set allowing you to use them how you want, while generics have the basic attack, then maybe 1 or 2 special skills, and that's it.

So basically, generics suck. Even if their stats are comparable to those of the main characters, they still suck. I mean, given a Golden Sun-style example, who wants a character that learns only the Flare and Fume series when they can have a character that learns Flare, Fume, Starburst, Aura, and Impair?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 21, August, 2010, 08:33:11 PM
Quote from: Role on 19, August, 2010, 10:35:19 PM
Let me put it like this - in SRPGs, I only use the main characters if I'm FORCED to.  I stick to generics because I just like them more.  Sure, the non-generics have better growth rates and unique skills, but I prefer the generics.  Pokemon is the same way - if I can't find multiples or breed it, then it's box fodder and nothing more.

In SRPGs, I use main characters more than anything. I mean, they have a large and unique skill set allowing you to use them how you want, while generics have the basic attack, then maybe 1 or 2 special skills, and that's it.

So basically, generics suck. Even if their stats are comparable to those of the main characters, they still suck. I mean, given a Golden Sun-style example, who wants a character that learns only the Flare and Fume series when they can have a character that learns Flare, Fume, Starburst, Aura, and Impair?
But why use a character with a set personality, when I can make a generic to which I assign a personality I desire them to have?

Sure, I can use Raspberyl as my mage unit, but I'd much rather go around with my generic mage.  Why?  Well, once I get her all the way up to Galaxy Mage, and change her color scheme to the Prism Mage's, she becomes my ubermage of doom.  And her name?

Patchouli.  She wields the game's most powerful wand, renamed Philosopher's Stone

That's right, I wage war in Disgaea with TOUHOU CHARACTERS.  Reimu is a female samurai (because I SWEAR TO GOD THEY LOOK JUST LIKE HER), my thief is named Marisa and has another one of those wands - called Mini-Hakkero.  I taught her the Star spells, too.  Master Spark wielding thief, anyone?  Heck, I even got a Succubus and named her Koakoma.

Why wage war with the in-game characters, when I can wage war with an army of MY choosing?

I've always been like that.  Legendaries have a set way they go about things.  They are the non-generics of pokemon.  Ho hum.  I'd prefer being more of a LEGIT trainer - one of the hundreds you see throughout the world with - get this - ZERO LEGENDARIES.  I fight and train with my pokemon, whom I've raised since I first caught them so long ago.  We shed blood and tears together, got our eight badges together, beat the elites together.  And you expect me to just trade them in for mister legendary?

Pffft.  Hell no.  And now, since they SHOW BACK UP after I defeat them, I don't have to catch them either!  Well, unless it FORCES me to, stupid Soul Silver...

Legendaries are just... there.  There's no attachment to them.  I didn't train them up to level 50/70, they're just at that level already.  I didn't clear the game with them, fight through hordes of aggro trainers and crazed electric rodents with them, nor did I earn the respect of the pokemon world with them.  They're the trophy monsters, the Irises of the game. You got them.  Great.  But by the time you had them, you no longer needed anything that strong.  Sure, it may not be quite the same as my Disgaea analogy, but that's how it is.

Just as I CREATE my team of generics, the ones I hand picked and trained up myself, gave them personalities all their own and un-genericified them, with Pokemon I'm much the same way.  The Trophy status of these so-called legendaries is just the nail in the coffin for them.

So if you really think that generics suck, I'd like to remind you - most of, if not ALL of my characters, come from a generic build.

Have you met Fleta yet?

She's a GENERIC FFTA THIEF.  I even play her as one.  This is just how I do things - in D3 my characters were Touhou.  In D2 and D1 they were my OCs.  D4 will likely return to the OC focus.

Aile~♥

Admittedly, in many games it's possible to un-generic your generics, at which point they can be better than your story characters. 'Course, in those sorts of games, your story characters are pretty much stuck with one pitiful skill set that is generally useless, while your generics go around Last Breath-spamming things WITH A BOW (FFTA). Or using that other devastating move. Omega-something or whatever it's called. 200 damage from range, anyone?

Or, of course, you could have your nice army of Moogle Gunners spamming Mog Attack (Mogknight skill) (I THINK that's what the move is called, anyway) so the enemy can't even get close. YAY. Meanwhile, your suckish Marche goes around with not enough MP to do anything useful (I'm not joking on this one. His MP is C***!) and his pitiful Fighter class (which, by the way, doesn't learn A SINGLE USEFUL SKILL).

But in games like ToS2, your monsters/generics get, maybe, 4 or 5 skills, usually all with lame damage and hopelessly overpriced, while your main characters go around spamming powerful spells and various sorts of over-the-top weapon skills. (Except that in ToS2, even your story characters feel generic because most of them learn boring techs that YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF IN ANY OTHER TALES GAME. And they don't follow the tech tree like ToS1 characters did.)

But back to the topic, I honestly don't like using legendaries either, because THEY TAKE SO BLOODY LONG TO LEARN ANY DECENT MOVES (aside from their unique "special attacks").

Also, Skitty is awesome.

SKITTY used Assist!
SKITTY used Roar of Time! *BOOM*

Charon

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 23, August, 2010, 03:09:01 PM
Also, Skitty is awesome.

SKITTY used Assist!
SKITTY used Roar of Time! *BOOM*
LOLWUT. Did that seriously happen XD

I don't really mind generics - without them, nothing else is really special, I 'spose. D:

Rolina

Why use Mog Attack when you can use ULTIMA CHARGE?  300% damage from 8 Panels away?  HELL YES!
In the first TA, Concentrating Assassins are the most deadly thing in existence.
That's why I change Marche's class, dood.  I get some decent growth rates with the Hunter Class, even the MP for their Ultima Skill.

Yeah, legendaries are known for their "one move every ten levels" thing, as well as the inability to breed to get idea stats and personality.
Aye, now if only my Skitty in Sapphire wasn't a male... 1/8 chance, iirc, and it's a very rare chance of being found.  I didn't want to hunt down another one. =_=

Aile~♥

@Charon: No, but I did get Assist to turn into Shadow Force. On multiple occasions. But basically, just pack your team full of Legendaries with special skills and a Skitty with Assist and STUFF HAPPENS. Stuff like: SKITTY used Assist! SKITTY used Judgment!

SKITTY used Assist! SKITTY used Spacial Rend!

SKITTY used Assist! SKITTY used Roar of Time!

SKITTY used Assist! SKITTY used Aura Sphere!

SKITTY used Assist! SKITTY used Lava Plume!

Rolina

Jamie, Lucario isn't legendary.

Aile~♥

He's darn close. Besides, Mewtwo, Giratina, Dialga, Palkia, and I think Arceus all learn Aura Sphere as well. So Aura Sphere is way up there with all those uber Legendary special attacks. Especially since only 2 non-legendaries learn the move.

Rolina

Oh?  Huh... I'd thought it was a signature move.  Guess I was wrong.

Aile~♥

It is pretty much Lucario's signature move, as he's the only Pokemon to get a Same Type Attack Bonus with it, which makes it absolutely lethal when coupled with Lucario's rather high Special Attack. Basically, most people with a Lucario give him that move, because he learns it naturally and it does a ton of damage.

Charon

Aura Sphere is exclusive to Lucario if you exclude legendaries. It's obnoxious tbh because it's the only always-hit move that has an actually useful amount of damage. At least since its Fighting type it's no good against ghosts, which otherwise it would be really easy to call that move broken.

I really don't like using Lucario. *hugs her Honchkrow Eric*

Aile~♥

No, it's not exclusive to Lucario if you exclude Legendaries. Togekiss gets the move as well.

And Lucario learns Foresight, so if you don't mind wasting a turn for targeting, you can hit Ghosts with Aura Sphere as well.

Charon

(dammit your right >_>)

Lol why would you waste a turn like that? People can easily knock you out like that. Foresight/Odor Sleuth/Miracle Eye just aren't worth it imho.

Salanewt

I find it really funny how my team does not include either of them, even though there was a time when I wanted Togekiss in my team.

Also, if there is ever a time when I can trade over wi-fi, does anybody want to have my shiny Charizard? It knows Hydro Cannon.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

@Charon: Except that almost all ghosts suck horribly against Lucario, due to his Steel/Fighting type. Ghost does 1/2 damage because of Steel, Dark does 1/4 damage because of Steel/Fighting, Poison does absolutely nothing because of Steel. The only thing that most Ghosts have that is worth fearing is Curse. OK, and brokenly high special attack stats with STABed Shadow Ball, even though it's "not very effective" it's still probably going to take half your health out, if not be a OHKO.

@Sala: It'd be instant banned from the trading session for being such blatant cheating.

Salanewt

Yeah, but I figured that I might as well ask anyway. I transferred it from Emerald, back when one could steal from the Battle Factory.

Oh, Shadow Ball is nice. I almost always let my Espeon learn it.

Have a nice day.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

I've had a WHOLE TEAM OF SHEDINJA.

WONDER GUARD FTW!!!!

leaf

Jamie, you know that pokemon can learn moves not of their own type, right? Like... gengar almost always carries tbolt. Although since luke can carry crunch (or shadow ball on special variants), it can be risky to keep gar in on a luke if the gar can't kill it that turn. And physical luke doesn't like getting burned, where a lot of ghosts will have will-o-wisp.

And yeah, the "you can hit ghosts" moves suck. Horribly. It wastes a turn that you could've been attacking, so over the two turns you spent using the move and attacking with a fighting or normal move, you could have done more damage by just using something else. Plus, all they have to do to negate the effect is switch. Congrats at completely wasting your turn while letting your opponent take a free shot at you.

Quote from: MegaDarkNero on 25, August, 2010, 05:43:41 PM
I've had a WHOLE TEAM OF SHEDINJA.

WONDER GUARD FTW!!!!
Nero sent out Shedinja!
Leaf sent out Tyranitar!
A sandstorm started brewing!
A sandstorm is brewing!
Nero's Shedinja is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Nero's Shedinja took 1 damage!
Nero's Shedinja fainted!

[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]