News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Pokémon!

Started by Ninja Steve, 02, January, 2010, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aile~♥

I agree Dewott and Samurott should've been fighting type. Rock Smash and Brick Break would've been good moves for them to learn naturally. Then again, I guess Rock Smash would kinda be a duplicate move, since it already has Razor Shell.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

It'd be different typing, and that is important.  Just ask leaf, he knows all about the mechanics, amirite? :awe:

Aile~♥

Only time it would be remotely useful is if the enemy both resisted Water and was weak to Fighting, or is double weak to Fighting, because STAB Razor Shell does more damage than a super effective Rock Smash. And even then, if you're using it for the Defense nerf, you'd use Razor Shell over Rock Smash anyway due to increased activation rate, unless they had Water Absorb or Storm Drain or some such.

leaf

Uh... yeah... I kinda just jumped in here and evidently completely misread the thread. Sorry 'bout that.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 14, February, 2012, 01:32:58 AM
Only time it would be remotely useful is if the enemy both resisted Water and was weak to Fighting, or is double weak to Fighting, because STAB Razor Shell does more damage than a super effective Rock Smash. And even then, if you're using it for the Defense nerf, you'd use Razor Shell over Rock Smash anyway due to increased activation rate, unless they had Water Absorb or Storm Drain or some such.
If he was Water/Fighting, though, wouldn't it be STAB Rock Smash, too?

Aile~♥

Forgot. /fail.

Yeah, that would make Rock Smash rather more useful.

Funny thing: I actually like Fury Cutter in Gen V.

Oh yeah, and Bullet Seed has 25 power, which I was originally not aware of.

Awec

I started liking 5th gen a whole lot more after I started playing through it. Probably the same with 4th gen.
The reason why so many people hate later gens is because they haven't bothered playing through the later games. Hell, said people can't even decide whether 1st, 2nd or 3rd is the best from the ones they like. The pokemon gens is simply a controversial topic.

Having said that, out of the Pokemon I've encountered so far I only really liked Smugleaf (Snivy). Serperior does need to have a secondary Dragon type though.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Kide

Quote from: leafI'd say the most sweeping mechanics changes were either from gen 1 to gen 2 or gen 2 to gen 3. Gen 3 to gen 4 saw smaller changes than either of the previous transitions (though still substantial), and gen 4 to gen 5 saw very few significant mechanics changes.
Agreed. I would say gen 2 to gen 3 had the most intense changes, IMO. Introduction of natures and abilities, being unable to max out all stats, change of DVs to IVs and how these are correlated... Basically, what made you unable to transfer pokes from gen 2 to gen 3.

Also, one cool thing from gen 5 was that some old moves got a much needed boost, being it power, PP, effect, or combinations of those. And I think I don't need to give examples of those. I mean, you people all now it already.

Rolina

I just think they're being babies about it.  They make a big fuss, saying it's unoriginal, then it comes out, they love it, and repeat the same thing next time.

Watch, come Gen X, Gen V will be seen as still being very creative.

Durza

That's more rose tinted glasses than anything though. I mean, Gen X would be around seventeen years away if every generation after this lasts as long as the fourth. There'll be a fair bit of nostalgia build up once there's over a thousand pokemon.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Aile~♥

Because I feel like ranting:

Things wrong with Pokémon Black & White:

1. Lack of VS. Seeker or Match Call functionality.
2. Removal of Mach Bike functionality.
3. Removal of berry trees.
4. Lack of in-game Multi Battles.
5. Small number of in-game Triple or Rotation Battles. Also, use of only Single Battles even when attacked by multiple Plasma Grunts during the plot.
6. Lack of six-player Multi Battles.
7. Only one Dive area.
8. Removal of Pokémon Contests (though that's something more wrong with Gen IV).
9. Small amount of post-game content.
10. Inability to rematch Gym Leaders.
11. And the most nitpicky thing here: layering issues during Pokémon Musicals.

Also, for some reason Samurott's battle sprite fails to show it drawing its swords, and it doesn't have a "standing on hind legs" stance for using props in Musicals.

Cool things: Diglett and Dugtrio do not appear above ground when exiting their Pokéballs, like most Pokémon do. They are also immune to Telekinesis.

Mawile's front and back sprites are switched during Musicals.

Rolina

Oh, so Mawile actually faces the audience in musicals?  That's pretty clever.

Aile~♥

Technically speaking, Mawile's actually facing AWAY from the audience. Its eyes are positioned to be able to look "behind" it, and the mouth on its "face" is a fake. The "normal" face Mawile has is actually a lure to attract prey, before it snarfs them up with its real head.

Rolina

Funny, pretty much all other media does it the other way around, with the big jaws being not the true face, but either a defense mechanism or where its real mouth is.

Aile~♥

The way it's worded in the various Pokédex entries implies that it uses the normal face to look non-threatening, then attacks with its massive jaws. Dunno if I'm proven right or wrong by that, but whatever.

Edit: SPECULATION, PEOPLE! Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 have been announced. Personally, I'm hoping for a direct sequel to Black & White, complete with transfer data and same playable characters.

The storyline would go something like this:

You begin the game with your party, player character, and name from your transfer data of the previous game (or some of their canon Pokémon from their Battle Subway + their member of the Tao Trio (Zekrom in White 2, or Reshiram in Black 2), if you don't use transfer data). At the game's start, you start off in a battle against a random trainer, which you promptly own. Then Team Plasma shows up and steals all your Pokémon before you can react. Rushing to the Pokémon centre to grab out new Pokémon, you discover that somehow, your Pokémon are all missing from there, too. This forces you to go to Professor Juniper's lab to get a second starter Pokémon. Then you go off to defeat Plasma Grunts and get your Pokémon back, in order from weakest to strongest, while working to find out how on earth Plasma could have returned already.

RagnarokEmissary

QuoteYou begin the game with your party, player character, and name from your transfer data of the previous game (or some of their canon Pokémon from their Battle Subway + their member of the Tao Trio (Zekrom in White 2, or Reshiram in Black 2), if you don't use transfer data). At the game's start, you start off in a battle against a random trainer, which you promptly own. Then Team Plasma shows up and steals all your Pokémon before you can react. Rushing to the Pokémon centre to grab out new Pokémon, you discover that somehow, your Pokémon are all missing from there, too. This forces you to go to Professor Juniper's lab to get a second starter Pokémon. Then you go off to defeat Plasma Grunts and get your Pokémon back, in order from weakest to strongest, while working to find out how on earth Plasma could have returned already.

THIS.

And, also...

Pokemon Conquest

Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition?

DO WANT.

Durza

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 19, February, 2012, 06:24:21 AMYou begin the game with your party, player character, and name from your transfer data of the previous game (or some of their canon Pokémon from their Battle Subway + their member of the Tao Trio (Zekrom in White 2, or Reshiram in Black 2), if you don't use transfer data). At the game's start, you start off in a battle against a random trainer, which you promptly own. Then Team Plasma shows up and steals all your Pokémon before you can react. Rushing to the Pokémon centre to grab out new Pokémon, you discover that somehow, your Pokémon are all missing from there, too. This forces you to go to Professor Juniper's lab to get a second starter Pokémon. Then you go off to defeat Plasma Grunts and get your Pokémon back, in order from weakest to strongest, while working to find out how on earth Plasma could have returned already.
This would be a bit silly. I mean, if Plasma could have stolen your pokémon before, wouldn't they have? I'd imagine it's going to be a sequel in the same way the second gen was to the first, with you needing to find the protagonist from the first game and borrow his legendary to fuse with Kyurem.

Though to be honest, I'd much prefer if Ghetsis and Cyrus teamed up and tried to destroy the Creation Trio with the Tao Trio so they could reset the world.
It's not a lie if you don't want to be believed. You're can't be wrong if you don't think you're right.

Aile~♥

Yes, we KNOW it's a sequel at this point. And the reason they'd be able to get away with stealing your Pokémon now as opposed to then is that at this point the main character is all relaxing and stuff because Team Plasma's gone.

Kide

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 19, February, 2012, 06:24:21 AM
You begin the game with your party, player character, and name from your transfer data of the previous game (or some of their canon Pokémon from their Battle Subway + their member of the Tao Trio (Zekrom in White 2, or Reshiram in Black 2), if you don't use transfer data). At the game's start, you start off in a battle against a random trainer, which you promptly own. Then Team Plasma shows up and steals all your Pokémon before you can react. Rushing to the Pokémon centre to grab out new Pokémon, you discover that somehow, your Pokémon are all missing from there, too. This forces you to go to Professor Juniper's lab to get a second starter Pokémon. Then you go off to defeat Plasma Grunts and get your Pokémon back, in order from weakest to strongest, while working to find out how on earth Plasma could have returned already.

If you could get your pokemon back from Team Plasma, then BW2 should be unable to trade with BW1, or at least with your own BW1 cart, to prevent people from cloning pokemon.

Durza

I'd imagine if they did do that, all the pokémon in the BW1 game would be transferred before you start BW2 apart from one or two so you can keep playing. Which would certainly save time in their equivalent of the Pal Park, but it wouldn't really work unless they divided them up somehow.