Golden Sun Hacking Community
June 22, 2017, 06:36:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for the Editor  (Read 60618 times)
Menaus
Sol Clan

Coins: 1

« on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:27 AM »

How about in the next version we have a feature to edit the names of the ability's, items, etc. It would really help me when I edit things like making the wheat sword. 

"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla
View Profile
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »

As I tell everyone that suggests that, because the text is compressed in the game there were several issues that had to be resolved before a text editor could  be implemented, however, all of those issues have been taken care of, and text editing is all ready for version 0.3 of the editor.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 25

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:42:14 AM »

That is fantastic.

I hope you have your work backed up. Just in case. Even the worst scenario can happen at the most unwanted time. But I doubt that would ever happen to you.

Anyway, how far does text limitations go?

Like... how many characters can fit in a box?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:44:11 AM by charleysdrpepper » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
View Profile
Sajin
The one who stole your Gold
Venus Clan

Coins: 0

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:00:35 PM »

I already asked about that charley. It seems that limit for psynergies/items/classes is 14. Don't know about actual dialogue limits though...
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »

I have no idea where people are getting that number from.  The limit for those is all high enough that you'd run out of room on screen for them before you'd hit it.

As for how much can be in a single string, that's 512 characters.  More than enough to fill the screen.

View Profile WWW
Sajin
The one who stole your Gold
Venus Clan

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »

Oh, I guess must of the people that hacked other games are used to having limited space. For example, in FF6 spells can only have 6 characters and on pokemon attacks have a limit of 12...
Anyway, I was sure that 14 was the limit somehow, thank you for  clearing that up Atrius.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 9

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »

We use the number 14 because that's the standard set by the GS games.  At 15, it seems to have graphical errors.

Of course, I could be thinking of a DIFFERENT limit - my example is Thunderstorm needing to be changed to Thunderhead - which is LESS than 14.  Yeah, 14 was classes.  For now,we'll use 14 as a test number, but if it's too high, we'll lower it, possibly to 11.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:54:16 PM by Role » Logged

View Profile WWW
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »

It depends on the letters. for example, l takes up less space than a. The amount of space a letter takes up is NOT uniform in GS's font.

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:31:02 AM »

I have a quick question about text... After practicing in Mario and Luigi, we found that certain characters in the middle of the text will enable Text Box scrolling. I was wondering if you will have a legend or something to help us with any effects that we can have while editing the text? For example, to have bold or italicized text (or even coloured text)? I know that I should probably ask in a different topic, but this topic is easier for me to locate right now, and there are people talking about text.

Have a nice day.

And the Wise One is a Mary Sue!

Hey there! I see you over there, looking at me... Wanna come over for a Milk Drink? ;)
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.
Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:23:16 AM »

Bold, italicized (Or rather, non-italicized), colored?  If you haven't seen it used in the actual game, chances are it's not implemented in the message box system.

Since those commands have been visible in the text viewer of the editor since version 0.1 as numbers in brackets (Example: "Ah, [17][6]...[3]You're awake.[2]") there is a topic where people were documenting those here, unfortunately it looks as though the first post in it didn't survive the move over to SMF, but I could quote it into my first post though if you want to revive the effort.

EDIT: False alarm, the first post just became the third >_<

View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:37:01 AM »

So what all text can be edited thus far, character names? Class names? iteam weapons etc... how about something as obscure as when entering town/etc when the name of it displays for a few secs upon entry

BTW that thread with the GS toolkit like commands, the {01} new line thing is so useful right now for me... yippeeee
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 03:50:31 AM »

Anything you can see in the text viewer can be edited.  That includes everything you've listed.  Of course things like item/ability/enemy names and such will also be editable in their own section to make things easier.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:29:15 AM »

I know it has bolded and italicized text... and colored text.  AND shaky text.

I guess we've got to catalogue how to get each one to trigger...

View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »

I think you're wrong about bold, and colored text, and well... The font for messages is itself italicized, I seriously doubt there's a command to make it not italic.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »

Play the game again.  Bold and shaky happens alot.  Typically used when they're emphasizing something, I figure.  Non-italics can be found easy.  Go to Start Menu -> Update -> Password and BAM!  You'll see it.  Default seems to be italics, so perhaps it's not a tag for italics, but instead for non-italic font...

Actually, just go to start menu, or perhaps any menu for that matter.

If psy sealed, then when you look at the psynergy in battle, it's all PURPLE.  Yellow and Red are common for colored text (standby djinn/psynergy lost for red, recovery djinn/psynergy gained for yellow), also if you get a djinn, it's name is the color of the element in the text that pops up after it joins you.

View Profile WWW
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 09:30:34 AM
Fox: Because he quit a long time ago and has other priorities?
Yesterday at 08:35:54 AM
javi3: Atrius, por que no sigues con el editor de golden sun?
June 20, 2017, 10:52:48 AM
Fox: It feels like the safest bet is to do Atrius's repointering system, and have something that organizes the tables done a bit separate... er... Well, it's something to think about.
June 20, 2017, 08:53:41 AM
Fox: HOWEVER... I can see other problems that might cause..... (Even with just the pointer in the MFT)  Meh. It's like you actually need a program to apply patches to do it appropriately.
June 20, 2017, 08:46:38 AM
Fox: ... So... What am I thinking? You ask? That the patches the point data after MFT, should have had pointers in the MFT themselves.... In that case, I can see a possibility of everything working smoothly even if space is needed to the very end of the ROM.
June 20, 2017, 08:37:22 AM
Fox: It's basically that everthink from the point of  editing, to the closest free space to the last entry's address would get repointed forward/backwards depending on space needed... and if space is mapped after patches are added, then that could mean the patches are also repointed. (:o)
June 20, 2017, 08:29:03 AM
Fox: Well, I mean if I map the space out the same way Atrius did it.
June 20, 2017, 08:26:41 AM
Fox: I have a hunch... when I add Map Palette editing the way I'm thinking about... it will cause all patches that repoint to after the MFT to break.... Especially if Atrius's editor wasn't used beforehand. Etc.
June 20, 2017, 07:27:17 AM
Fox: Hmmm... Let's see... regardless of method, I think I still do want to take some of Atrius's Space Manager code... Hmm.....
June 20, 2017, 07:07:27 AM
Fox: say*
June 20, 2017, 07:07:19 AM
Fox: I'd go so far as to see.. even if you are trying to be accurate, there could still be inaccuracies... However, that one was just an example where it was clearly intentional.
June 20, 2017, 07:04:03 AM
Fox: Like*
June 20, 2017, 07:03:55 AM
Fox: Let that one time where they tried to clip a guy out... To put it as short and vague as possible.
June 20, 2017, 06:58:52 AM
Fox: But in case you do watch it... I do know the story on TV that they tell... is not always accurate to what actually happened... (From what one can find out from the feed.) ... but usually the fansites will let you know about that.
June 20, 2017, 06:37:54 AM
Fox: Depends, as each person may have a different opinion... (I'm thinking you might find it like other "reality" shows..)  ... I'm not really into Survivor at current.... I also question if it was something about Julie Chen that made it a little more interesting.... .being the an iconic host that she is.. Weird.
June 19, 2017, 11:57:31 PM
Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX: Honest opinion but is it any good or is it just like all other "reality" television?
June 19, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX: I have a friend who is obsessed with that show and Survivor and he wants me to watch with him.
June 19, 2017, 07:47:18 PM
Fox: So.. as soon as I saw the cast of BB19, I wanted to try to pick my favs on first impression... And I'm curious about these: Elena Davies (Female pick, maybe.) and Kevin Schlehuber (Male pick, maybe. - He's the oldest.) ... whether they even get close to the end or not... I have no idea. Would have to watch them play the game.
June 19, 2017, 05:46:42 PM
Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX: Lol, well I had Squirtle for a while but I'm usually better known for Yoshi. I hope! :o
June 19, 2017, 02:22:49 PM
Lord Wolfram: Oh with that turtle avarat, yep remember

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise