Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 12, 2018, 05:00:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for the Editor  (Read 79095 times)
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 02:53:44 AM »

Ah, you have to look at it from a programmers perspective though.

Menu's and dialogue boxes are entirely different, they're programmed to use different fonts, there's no tag involved in the text.  Sealed Psynergy still uses the same text, so how could it be a tag in the text data?  Same goes for standby/recovery/e.t.c those are hard-coded color changes it has nothing to do with any tags stored with the text.  Although I suspect it's a similar situation, I may have to look into the names of Djinni being colored when you get them.

Shaky text is definitely a tag, I'm not disputing that.  Bold though... I don't recall any bolded text in the game off the top of my head.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »

In that case, my statement about djinn joining you still stands.

View Profile WWW
New User

Coins: 0

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »

I have a few ideas for the new editor.

Shop Editor- to edit the item types sold by shop owners.
Treasure Editor- to change the items received in treasure chests and pots/boxs.
Djinn Editor- to edit stat boost given by djinn, their unleash and Summon requirements.
Map Editor- I guess this one might be in the works..., but it might also be nice to change where enemies show up on the maps. So you can create addition enemy group types and know where they will show up.

Allow sprites to change colors that are only seen in Sprite viewer.
Allow change of the background image of the battles.
Allow change of images/sprites completely in some type of drawing mode. Color swaps for icons.
Allow change of speeds/framerate.
Allow change of  weapon image in battle.
Add additional info for Spell animation type, so you can tell what animation you'll get.
Add additional info for classes, so you can tell what class you'll get.

Also I don't know if anyone has noticed this but when you change the defense stat in enemy editor, change enemy to edit, then select the previous enemy, the defense stat resets to default. In other word it does not save defense stat edits. That could be fixed, or maybe my version of the editor is not working.

These are just some ideas to play with.
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »

The editor is still fairly early on in it's development, most of those will come in time.  In fact I'm working on the Djinni editor for v0.3 now.

Allow sprites to change colors that are only seen in Sprite viewer.
Not entirely sure what you mean by that.  If you're referring to the palette swap, that isn't something that's actually saved with the sprite, it's only a preview for special effects the game sometimes uses, or for enemies (Their palette swap data is saved individually with their sprite setting, and can already be changed).

Allow change of speeds/framerate.
I'm not sure what you'd expect there either, frame rate is pretty much regulated by the refresh rate of the GBA hardware.

Add additional info for Spell animation type, so you can tell what animation you'll get.
Yes...  Ideally it would show a preview, but since the animations are coded in assembly that would be extremely difficult to manage.

Add additional info for classes, so you can tell what class you'll get.
The class system is still a bit of a mystery.  I need to do more research on the unknown values there.

The defense stat problem was a glitch, it's been repaired for v0.3.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »

Djinn and Summon editors will be in v0.3, according to Atrius, so you don't have to worry about those.  One of the biggest things we need, the text editor, will be there, too.

However, I do have a request...

Can we edit text for items, psynergy, enemies, etc in the actual item/psynergy/enemy etc editors?  Rather than having to hunt down the proper line in the text editor, it'd be nice if we could edit the text in the other editors and have it edit the corresponding spot in the text editor automatically as well.  Or are you already planning on doing that?

View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 08:20:28 PM »

No worries, it's already been implemented that way for v0.3, I don't think it would have made sense not to.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »

YES!  Thank you!  This will make editing them SO much easier! Joy

View Profile WWW
New User

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »

I was wondering if the editor could include the following:

A way of changing animation graphics- like chaining two animations together making a new one. It would be nice to dissect animation more fully. Like I had an idea of changing the actual picture of weapons (because all swords look alike) and then inserting them back into the game.

Similar as above could there be a editor to make your own icons from scratch.

Being able to change treasure chest items, story based awarded itmes and game awarded items- this will make organizing the item menu easy without worry what item will get put in treasure chests or other story based awarded items.

Changing enemy affinity would be nice.

Changing inherent abilities, adding inherent abilities.

I think most of these ideas have already been suggested, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

As for the class system, I hate it. There are just too many junk classes. It will be nice when the class system is demystified. Maybe if dijiin could be edited to not contribute to class decision by not adding to affinity.

Stat display max for attack is 999 , but the Attack of weapons can be set much higher. Does attack truly go higher or does the effect of attack stop at 999? Can other stats like HP be set to higher amounts as well as its displayed value?
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 11:32:16 PM »

This is something random that I thought of, but you remember that your editor allows the user to have any background of their choice because of the background folder? Well, what if there were a folder which could allow the user to add music, and listen to music while working with the editor? I know that music programs can just play any type of music that you have, but it is still an idea...

Actually, better yet, how about a music editor/player? It would be pretty neat to be able to play the audio from the game, and possibly if we could insert/fix audio without having to use Sappy.

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »

A way of changing animation graphics- like chaining two animations together making a new one. It would be nice to dissect animation more fully. Like I had an idea of changing the actual picture of weapons (because all swords look alike) and then inserting them back into the game.

Similar as above could there be a editor to make your own icons from scratch.

Being able to change treasure chest items, story based awarded itmes and game awarded items- this will make organizing the item menu easy without worry what item will get put in treasure chests or other story based awarded items.

Changing enemy affinity would be nice.

Changing inherent abilities, adding inherent abilities.
The editor is still a work in progress, that should all come eventually.

As for the class system, I hate it. There are just too many junk classes. It will be nice when the class system is demystified. Maybe if dijiin could be edited to not contribute to class decision by not adding to affinity.
That would drastically change a core mechanic of the game, it's beyond the scope of what the editor is intended to do.  Besides, as it is Djinni are very nearly the only thing contributing to class decision, without them influencing it you would only have access to base, and item classes (not even their upgraded versions either)

Stat display max for attack is 999 , but the Attack of weapons can be set much higher. Does attack truly go higher or does the effect of attack stop at 999? Can other stats like HP be set to higher amounts as well as its displayed value?
Mmm....  I believe the game does limit them to the highest it will display.  Changing that is something I'd like to look into making available down the road when higher priority tasks are completed.

This is something random that I thought of, but you remember that your editor allows the user to have any background of their choice because of the background folder? Well, what if there were a folder which could allow the user to add music, and listen to music while working with the editor? I know that music programs can just play any type of music that you have, but it is still an idea...
That would just be creating more unnecessary work for me, is it really so hard just to open up your own audio playing program in the background?  At this point in it's development I think it's more important to focus on making the editor more capable at what it's supposed to be able to do than add bells and whistles to it.

Actually, better yet, how about a music editor/player? It would be pretty neat to be able to play the audio from the game, and possibly if we could insert/fix audio without having to use Sappy.
It's on my list of things to do eventually.  Unfortunately due to how Game Maker works it seems it's going to pose quite a bit more of a challenge than it should.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:22:19 PM by Atrius » Logged

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:05 PM »

I agree, and understand. I just have one more suggestion...

Will it be possible to change the default names of a character by the time you are ready to produce the next version of the editor? For example, I can make it so a character would normally be named Mario, but so the game displays Mario instead of Felix, for when I want to edit his name.

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

What I have in mind for the editor:

1. Support for music editing. Although this is probably something that is more fit for a "v1.2" or "v2.0" version of the game since it isn't necessary. That said, it could still aid hackers greatly, and Sappy these days is impossible. Not only is the music editor version of it almost impossible to find, but for some people like me it always crashes when trying to open up a rom Q.Q
Anyways, what I specifically have in mind is porting the MML format into Golden Sun. That way we will be able to convert a midi into Golden Sun.

2. A script editor inspired by that of SMRPG's "Lazy Shell" editor. I cannot stress the importance of scripts, and this would be #1 if I wasn't such a music nerd. Remember: People will be making games with your editor!

3. An animation editor. Something like this is also important.

The latter 5 suggestions (Specifically fixes) I'm not sure how they work in golden sun, but assuming they don't:

1. Support for 8 characters to join your party one by one as opposed to 4 at a time. In other words, support for 5 or 7 party members instead of 8.

2. Disabling password screens and such.

3. New weapon classes. This is more of a question, but how exactly do weapons work? Do they work in categories classes? Or is compatibility with a character set by a flag on the characters themselves?
I kind of want to add in new weapons to the game. Speaking of which:

4. Re-positioning how a character holds a weapon in combat. I don't know if a weapon is layered onto a character's battle gfx or part of it though :|

5. Support to add in new elements and djinni types.

Now good luck with the editor ;o
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:15:24 PM by Lishy » Logged
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 05:28:47 AM »

Since the editor is still in early stages of development Music, Script, and Animation editing will come with time.

1. Support for 8 characters to join your party one by one as opposed to 4 at a time. In other words, support for 5 or 7 party members instead of 8.
I imagine that will have everything to do with script editing.

2. Disabling password screens and such.
Ah... Good call, that actually hadn't crossed my mind before.  That's something I'll definitely have to look into eventually.

3. New weapon classes. This is more of a question, but how exactly do weapons work? Do they work in categories classes? Or is compatibility with a character set by a flag on the characters themselves?
Weapon classes don't actually exist at all as such in the game's code.  Each item has it's own individual flags for which characters are able to equip it.

4. Re-positioning how a character holds a weapon in combat. I don't know if a weapon is layered onto a character's battle gfx or part of it though :|
That may pose a challenge, though I can think of one way around it already, though it's probably not the best.  This is what the actual sprites for Isaac and his different weapons look like though:
IsaacLong SwordShort SwordAxeMace

5. Support to add in new elements and djinni types.
Probably not going to happen...  It would require changing so much code in the game it would hardly be worth the effort.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 07:00:31 AM »

Well, with weapons, couldn't it be possible to change a weapon's X, Y co ordinates?
To clarify:
Say for example I wanted to make a knife for Garet (Who has knives replaced by a broadsword when he becomes older)
I would reposition the co ordinates to fit a small knife GFX into his hand if that were a possibility in the editor.

Of course, since battles use a lot of scaling, I wouldn't know if that's possible.

Also, sorry for suggesting what I suggested about Djinni. Maybe that was a stupid idea of me?
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 07:23:35 AM »

Oh, I though you meant changing their stance so they were holding it differently too.  The weapon sprites are the same size as the characters, it's just that most of the space in them is blank.  If you can fit in within the 64x64 sprite boundary for the character where you want it, it's fine.

Also, sorry for suggesting what I suggested about Djinni. Maybe that was a stupid idea of me?
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, it's just that the way a lot of things are programmed in the game it only really allows for 4 elements.  You'd have to hack a lot of the game's code to add more.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
December 09, 2018, 07:43:31 PM
Fox: A banana for you, a banana for me, let's all open a banana and enjoy!
December 08, 2018, 09:48:52 PM
Drake baku: ba... ba.... bana.... bana.... banana.... nanananananananana..... and now back to doing normal, kinda
December 07, 2018, 05:43:02 PM
Luna_blade: Hey I forgot the christmas theme
November 29, 2018, 09:01:09 AM
zman9000: ded
November 19, 2018, 11:05:28 AM
Drake baku: Good day to ya all
October 30, 2018, 09:45:58 PM
Atrius: There used to be where I got the battle sprites for Kraden, but that site doesn't exist any more.
October 26, 2018, 01:31:40 PM
Infitek: Do you know if there any custom Alex battle sprites available on the internet ?
October 26, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
Infitek: Hey everyone
October 13, 2018, 03:23:06 AM
Salanewt: Updated it to provide more info that I forgot to mention.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:48 AM
Salanewt: I'm still trying to iron out IQ 2 but I'm pretty sure it's entirely random targeting.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:29 AM
Salanewt: Oh yeah, I posted some more info about enemy IQ.
October 12, 2018, 09:51:27 PM
FoxThe HTML5 project is too small to count
October 12, 2018, 06:19:48 AM
Luna_blade: there is jjppof's html5 project...
October 12, 2018, 06:19:17 AM
Luna_blade: Though Momo rings a bell it seems I came here after you left
October 11, 2018, 12:49:41 AM
Fox: (If that makes sense.)
October 11, 2018, 12:48:33 AM
Fox: Yeah, I guess so.  More just saying that's a good place to get answers to GS related questions at the moment.
October 11, 2018, 12:42:28 AM
Crystal Sonata: I did before, but I guess I could try it again
October 11, 2018, 12:41:32 AM
Fox: Not much at the moment. This forum seems pretty quiet. Perhaps you'd be interested in joining the Discord for GSHC that seems to have more activity?
October 10, 2018, 11:16:53 PM
Crystal Sonata: Any projects going on? I need a distraction from the daily grind and I'm interested in hacking GS again.
October 10, 2018, 10:02:53 PM
Fox: Thanks, and good to see you too!

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise