News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Suggestion for the Editor

Started by Menaus, 06, January, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

That's one of the main problems with trying to use any more element slots, there's only room for storing the power and resistance for 4 elements.  This is true in the data, as well as saved games.  It's true for players, enemies, djinni requirements for summoning, djinni themselves, class requirements, and that's just what I remember off the top of my head.  In addition to damage formulas you would need to edit the code for ALL of theses other things, EVERYWHERE that it references their element data.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

I had actually thought that it was possible to hold data values down to bits of code, rather than having bytes as being the smallest unit.  I guess it was just a misconception on my part.

@Atrius:  I see, so should we ever decide to actually go out of our way to code in the ability to use more of those element slots, they'd have to be derivative in nature.  Well, at least we know for certain now that adding another 'true' element is pretty much not gonna happen ever, while derivatives are probably gonna be the last thing done, if at all.  After all, there's plenty we can do without adding new elements - it's not like this is a feature needed for game balance or anything.

The formula and effect editor ideas, though... do you know yet how we might go about addressing those?  I assume that since we can choose the various values in the editor itself, you know where they're located. Other than that, though, I'm guessing tweaking, modifying, or adding things would be a lot more complicated, huh?

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Role on 06, September, 2011, 12:21:07 AMI had actually thought that it was possible to hold data values down to bits of code, rather than having bytes as being the smallest unit.  I guess it was just a misconception on my part.

It is rare, but it does sometimes happen.  For example the ability type (Base damage, healing, multiplier, e.t.c.) is only 4 bits allowing it to be 0-15.  The other 4 bits of that byte are used for the flags below that (Can be used in/outside of battle)

Formula's and effects are all ASM functions, surprisingly complex ones at that.  I doubt there's much I could do to simplifying editing them.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

...That... sucks.  That really does.  I guess we'd have to have user-developed plugins with specific effects for those?  It's the only way I can think of that would make any real sense (well, to me at least).  This means that new ailments and status effects are likely in the same boat, too.  Well, at least for Ability type there's not too many new formulas we want to add.  Tweaking what we've got and adding maybe five new ones on top of what we've got easily fits into that limitation.

Surprised though... if the ability uses only 4 bits, I'd have thought that small values like elements would do the same...

How about field psynergy?  I know those are all gonna have to be custom made anyways, but what's the limit that the code can hold?

Edit:  You know what?  We should have a post with all the absolute storage limits in it - it'd really cut down on my questions.
Edit 2:  While we're add it, we should also list any further limits the code places on the game.  We could have it formatted, too...

Value: Code (Absolute)

So for elemental selection, it'd be:

Attribute:  5 (256)

This would probably cut down on a lot of confusion of this type of nature.

Aile~♥

I don't know much about an effect editor in general, but it would be GREAT to be able to redirect the "counter-attack for 1 turn" function. As in, tell it which ability to counter with, since right now it's coded to link only to "Djinn Counter" for players or "Counter" for enemies. While we're at it, it would be nice to be able to target yourself with a "counter-attack", instead of automatically redirecting "Target: User" abilities to hit the enemy.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

That's something we're probably gonna have to custom-do, sadly.  From what it sounds like, we'll have to customize what we want to have for effects and have the different "install sets" posted here in their own topic.

Griever

I'm gonna go crazy and suggest something I have no idea if it can be done or not.

Can we have an IPS patching section in the editor? When we choose it we get to apply a patch and choose for example to apply only the class part. So if for example I work on classes while someone else work on abilities we can still apply both patches to the same ROM without messing it up ... This will allow a group to work on a hack and finish it faster rather than having someone applying all the changes by her/himself.

Like I said ... I know it's a crazy idea and I'm not even sure if it's doable ... but this will help a lot .. especially with the community hack >_<

Rolina

I've been asking for this for a while now, and I think atrius said it's gonna be a later feature, but my memory may be a bit fuzzy on that.  Either way, it's hard to get a solid answer out of him on most of the things I ask about.

Atrius (He/Him)

I did eventually want to do a custom patching format in the editor where you could export/import specific data if you wanted to.

Rolina

Yeah, that's what I thought.  Such a feature would be really helpful for group projects, as well as for template makers.  Atrius, do you know how difficult it'd be to program something like that?  I'm afraid I'm not quite familiar with how much work would go into it...

Misery

This reminds me, there's something I'd very much like to have in the editor, aside from aforementioned class template export/import, and that is more keyboard based controls. Like using the arrow keys or tab to switch between fields and windows, and hotkeys to bring up some of the windows. May seem like a novelty, but if it was possible to control the editor using only the keyboard it would speed up things a lot for me at least. "A lot" being about ten times faster for most of what I want to do.

Rolina

I have been asking for that for a while... =_=

I think Atrius wants to function more on getting more functionality to the editor first, before he starts working on the user interface.

Atrius (He/Him)

The most I recall anyone asking about as far as keyboard controls goes is for scrolling through lists with the arrow keys.  I can do more, but like Role said, it's not going to be a high priority.

@Role, I've been thinking about how to go about it for quite a while now.  The editor already knows where all of the data is, and how much of it exists so being able to scan specific types will be fairly easy.  Where it gets complex is when I start thinking that it would be nice to have the option to individually select exactly which indexes to export, and be able to change the indexes they're imported into.  So for example if someone edited a bunch of items, but they only wanted to export the one in slot 5, then someone else wanted to import that item into slot 7 in their hack.

Griever

QuoteSo for example if someone edited a bunch of items, but they only wanted to export the one in slot 5, then someone else wanted to import that item into slot 7 in their hack.
Errrr I really don't think you should worry about this now ... first getting the import/export feature for the whole Item section then go about slots ... But that individual exporting/importing idea is really helpful too.

Atrius (He/Him)

That is something I'm considering too, I just don't want to come up with a file format that becomes completely obsolete by the next version of the editor.

Rolina

Quote from: Atrius on 22, November, 2011, 11:06:17 PM
The most I recall anyone asking about as far as keyboard controls goes is for scrolling through lists with the arrow keys.  I can do more, but like Role said, it's not going to be a high priority.

@Role, I've been thinking about how to go about it for quite a while now.  The editor already knows where all of the data is, and how much of it exists so being able to scan specific types will be fairly easy.  Where it gets complex is when I start thinking that it would be nice to have the option to individually select exactly which indexes to export, and be able to change the indexes they're imported into.  So for example if someone edited a bunch of items, but they only wanted to export the one in slot 5, then someone else wanted to import that item into slot 7 in their hack.
I figured it'd apply to everything in one section.  So it's not just a few select classes, it'd have to be the entire class selection.  So for each tab you can choose in the editor, there'd be something that only calls that tab when you load it.

Misery

You might want to check out this topic, which has some helpful links, including a save game editor that lets you edit which djinn your characters have. The editor itself isn't meant to handle save data afaik. However, if you mean to edit the djinn characters start with, that could probably do as an addition to the editor, and could be helpful to others as well. I expect it would require a redirect to a custom code routine though, making it a small game hack in itself, so don't expect to see it anytime soon (or at all, to be bluntly honest).

Most sprites can't be used for party members since they're stored in a different format. The next release of the editor will supposedly allow you to edit sprites, meaning you could make the sprites of the party members look like enemies. No one knows when the next version will be released though (not even Atrius himself).

On a somewhat related note, you can also use replace party member sprites with lolPoseidon (in addition to Dullahan). IIRC Doom Dragon is also usable (!) but some sprites will not show. Maybe. It has been a while since I tried it...

Darkest ivan

Recently I translated this program to spanish (actually only 99.5%, i don't understand a few words)
I'd be glad if you could include it in the next version.

Spanish Translation:
ww.mediafire.com/?g2xlg3fhtllgv6x

Updated translation!! :happy: Thanks Lobo Negro.
ww.mediafire.com/?c5mu9f3cjvnust9

A little mistake fixed  :fury:
http://www.mediafire.com/?pzdj68450wywd6x

I have two problems with the traslation:

1--> The pop-ups with text don't show Ññ áéíóú.
2--> Some text boxes are too small for the translated sentence. Can you enlage them?

Some examples:
"Ningún archivo abierto" (up-right) When there is no rom loaded.
Sprites->"Configuración" option
Djinni->"Nombre y descripción de habilidad mímica"

Atrius (He/Him)

Very nice, thank you!  I'll add it to the download topic right away.

I had a feeling there would be a space issue for some strings, it's something I planned on trying to make some adjustments for in the next version anyway.  By the pop-ups, do you mean the tooltips when you hover your mouse over something?  I can probably fix that pretty easily too.

KyleRunner

Is there any way to dump/insert uncompressed text in the Lost Age rom (like when using the GSTOOLKIT)?