Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 12, 2018, 06:00:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for the Editor  (Read 79099 times)
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 29

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »

^Looking good.

Can anyone else thing of other minor suggestions that could improve the editor? Mostly in the same vein as these ones of course.
Code Patches change:
Although, I could argue that the Code Patches section should in fact have their features in the sub-editors that they belong... when possible. ? (That way, it is even more obvious to newbies that there is a toggle for something.)
Not sure, though...?

PC name limit = Party Editor
Class Separation patch = Class Editor
RNG fix = (Dunno?) (But maybe Code Patches could be renamed "Extras")

Forgery:
There's a table with the forge items and chance values... Could be added in the Items/Shops section.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:43:24 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »

Awesome, and a forge list would be a terrific addition. While we're on the subject of entirely new things...

PC Elemental Table, as a new tab in the party editor
Elemental Table, as a new tab in the enemy editor
Enemy IDs corrected to true values (base 8, since 0-7 are PC stuff)
Text boxes for enemy screams/sound effects, attack/jump heights, etc.
"NPC Class Specs" tab in enemy editor section, which is basically like a secondary enemy editor but for the first eight slots

Not sure how I feel about the code patches changes, but it could look nice if arranged well.

... Man, I wish the game maker stuff still worked on my laptop. Don't even know if I have it anymore.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »

-Encounters/Battle Collections
-Price/formula editing for Sanctum/Inn stuff.
-

Not sure how I feel about the code patches changes, but it could look nice if arranged well.
Well, part of the suggestion was just in case it gets cluttered by all the "Expand list to this much" values, etc. - I feel like those should be mostly automated, though. Depending on if you click " - Add Item - " at the end of the list or not... Etc. (Or maybe right-clickable... in the case of a text box and the list size is greater than any index number you have used. Or something like that.. er.. Haven't thought about this much.)

... Man, I wish the game maker stuff still worked on my laptop. Don't even know if I have it anymore.
:( I wish I could suggest something... Makes me think we still need to recode the editor in another language. (I have not tried doing it verbatim yet...  but you are welcome to.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:13:25 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

View Profile
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »

Is there any point in the GBA editor now? OpenGoldenSun engine will render the editor obsolete as it will not be held down by the GBAs limitations providing he doesn't give up on it and doesn't release the code.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:01:29 PM by MaxiPower » Logged
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #214 on: April 13, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »

Eh... I'm not really big on fan games so much as seeing what I can do by directly changing an existing game's code. This is pretty much why I would rather toy around with ROMs directly than use fan engines, as I would just make a game from scratch if I wanted to make a new one altogether; the editor is a great little tool for helping me do this, and is pretty much the only reason I even came back to this hacking forum. The OpenGS thing is definitely pretty cool though, just not into it myself beyond getting ideas for what I could add via assembly.

So for the most part, the editor is great for my little hobby. It'll also help with Disco Sun, which will more or less be a culmination of a lot of the things I want to play with or have played with before.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #215 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:52 PM »

Is there any point in the GBA editor now? OpenGoldenSun engine will render the editor obsolete as it will not be held down by the GBAs limitations providing he doesn't give up on it and doesn't release the code.
I umm... sort of disagree about the Obsolete part. Because the GBA editor can educate people about what's possible in the original games. / And can help people who are hard-core/pure to the original to hack those games.

Even when OpenGS is done, I will still be interested in documenting the rest of Golden Sun. - From there, can't say what editor work I'd have a chance in doing. Although it is an interesting project, I feel it's too time consuming/valueless for it to be worth-while outside of experimentation hacks, and some data viewing/dumping.

@Salanewt: If the makers of Golden Sun ever mysteriously released their source code, would you ever choose to do your editing in that, instead of through the compiled code? (Sure the compiled code is interesting to learn about at first, until you get bored, and then productivity decreases.) - I'm going to take a guess and say maybe not, but I just want to be sure.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:13:20 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

« Reply #216 on: April 13, 2015, 09:13:03 PM »

Obsolete is kinda the wrong word, Its just that there has been so little progress in the editor and then OpenGS comes along from outa nowhere and continually posts updates that surpass what I ever expected possible from a "Fan Game" to the point were it seems indistinguishable from the real thing. I'm all for the official Editor but lets face it, as it stands now, it will never be completed.  Lord Squrtle is Sala? lol I hate when people change their names, I thought you left ages ago lol!
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean there. The editor hasn't been updated much, though we have actually done a lot of research and documented huge portions of GS2. Probably enough to make a mostly full hack by hand/hex editor, give or take a few things largely related to certain compression formats.

Also, hi! I am indeed Salanewt, but I may change my name again at some point. Either that or I'll do some Sonic '06 joke for a bit and then go back.

Fox: Hm... I'd be open to looking at it for comparisons, but probably not editing it.

And. To keep this on topic. It may take too much work to be worthwhile, but I like the idea of being able to create a "change dump" that temporarily gets uploaded to a certain page for a few hours or so that other people can download. Kind of like automatic patch uploads. Haven't put much more thought into that idea though.

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »

Lord Squrtle is Sala? lol I hate when people change their names, I thought you left ages ago lol!
Oops! Looks like I spoiled it. :/ Heheh...

Also, hi! I am indeed Salanewt, but I may change my name again at some point. Either that or I'll do some Sonic '06 joke for a bit and then go back.
I might change my name again as well. When I decide to what, and when I want to do it.

Fox: Hm... I'd be open to looking at it for comparisons, but probably not editing it.
So it is as I thought. - If such source code was released in these days, and if it matched the compiled code quite neatly, chances are, that's when I'd stop documenting... Maybe, since like... all of it would be there, just without the address positions. - And if this had been released as open-source from the start andt had all the easy-editing capabilities, then I doubt an editor for GS by Atrius would have been made...?

"Change dump" = How exactly does that work? Do you mean just a temporary file for when you want to just hand the file to someone? (Kind of like what you would do when you have a bug in your ROM and need someone to look into it.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:52:07 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47:24 PM »

I don't think it really matters if the compiled code is the same as long as the gameplay/feel of the end product is the same.  Though I do have a pretty strict definition for "feeling" the same, the vast majority of fan games will never get something as basic in the engine as the collisions while walking around right.

The Open Source Golden Sun project is closer to what the original plan for the editor was anyway, I'd be pretty happy to see it reach a point that makes the editor obsolete.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2015, 11:06:24 PM »

I don't think it really matters if the compiled code is the same as long as the gameplay/feel of the end product is the same.  Though I do have a pretty strict definition for "feeling" the same, the vast majority of fan games will never get something as basic in the engine as the collisions while walking around right.

The Open Source Golden Sun project is closer to what the original plan for the editor was anyway, I'd be pretty happy to see it reach a point that makes the editor obsolete.

Agree with this 100%, From the first video of OpenGS, You could see he was trying to recreate it faithfully. I Got the same buzz of excitement as I did from when you first stepped onto the scene all those years ago. The movement looks spot on. that second delay just before Felix climbs the vine is true to the game, wee things like that he has captured perfectly. Its a pity you stopped your original idea but i'm thankful for the editor none the less. It was perfect in terms of presentation and ease of use, a blend of the two would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gC4TfPou0 for the vine (5.23) :P

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:11:50 PM by MaxiPower » Logged
View Profile
ThanatosTheDark
The Greatest Nightmare
Venus Clan

I am now the darkness of Gaea. Fear our wrath.

Coins: 0

I am: Craving human flesh

« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2015, 11:00:07 PM »

how bout a maximized view of the editor?

I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2015, 12:46:30 AM »

Like the F4 key? (I believe it was...?) Or what I think you mean, which the C# editor would allow...

View Profile
ThanatosTheDark
The Greatest Nightmare
Venus Clan

I am now the darkness of Gaea. Fear our wrath.

Coins: 0

I am: Craving human flesh

« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2015, 05:34:14 PM »

No. As far as I'm concerned, F4 is just a zoomed view. What I'm referring to is something more on the lines of a way to remove the scroll bars so more can be seen at once. This most noticeable in map editing.

I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2015, 09:59:09 PM »

Or what I think you mean, which the C# editor would allow...
So I guess I was correct.

By the way, I think you could modify Atrius's source to make the "room" larger, and more stuff would be displayed, I think.... (But as far as changing the window size with-in the app itself, I dunno....)

http://i.imgur.com/EwJGFEL.png = This is what one map looks like in my C# editor when maximized... (Minus taskbar...) However, the scrollbar is still there.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:00:58 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
December 09, 2018, 07:43:31 PM
Fox: A banana for you, a banana for me, let's all open a banana and enjoy!
December 08, 2018, 09:48:52 PM
Drake baku: ba... ba.... bana.... bana.... banana.... nanananananananana..... and now back to doing normal, kinda
December 07, 2018, 05:43:02 PM
Luna_blade: Hey I forgot the christmas theme
November 29, 2018, 09:01:09 AM
zman9000: ded
November 19, 2018, 11:05:28 AM
Drake baku: Good day to ya all
October 30, 2018, 09:45:58 PM
Atrius: There used to be where I got the battle sprites for Kraden, but that site doesn't exist any more.
October 26, 2018, 01:31:40 PM
Infitek: Do you know if there any custom Alex battle sprites available on the internet ?
October 26, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
Infitek: Hey everyone
October 13, 2018, 03:23:06 AM
Salanewt: Updated it to provide more info that I forgot to mention.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:48 AM
Salanewt: I'm still trying to iron out IQ 2 but I'm pretty sure it's entirely random targeting.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:29 AM
Salanewt: Oh yeah, I posted some more info about enemy IQ.
October 12, 2018, 09:51:27 PM
FoxThe HTML5 project is too small to count
October 12, 2018, 06:19:48 AM
Luna_blade: there is jjppof's html5 project...
October 12, 2018, 06:19:17 AM
Luna_blade: Though Momo rings a bell it seems I came here after you left
October 11, 2018, 12:49:41 AM
Fox: (If that makes sense.)
October 11, 2018, 12:48:33 AM
Fox: Yeah, I guess so.  More just saying that's a good place to get answers to GS related questions at the moment.
October 11, 2018, 12:42:28 AM
Crystal Sonata: I did before, but I guess I could try it again
October 11, 2018, 12:41:32 AM
Fox: Not much at the moment. This forum seems pretty quiet. Perhaps you'd be interested in joining the Discord for GSHC that seems to have more activity?
October 10, 2018, 11:16:53 PM
Crystal Sonata: Any projects going on? I need a distraction from the daily grind and I'm interested in hacking GS again.
October 10, 2018, 10:02:53 PM
Fox: Thanks, and good to see you too!

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise