News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Suggestion for the Editor

Started by Menaus, 06, January, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

No worries, it's already been implemented that way for v0.3, I don't think it would have made sense not to.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

YES!  Thank you!  This will make editing them SO much easier! :heart:

jet3

I was wondering if the editor could include the following:

A way of changing animation graphics- like chaining two animations together making a new one. It would be nice to dissect animation more fully. Like I had an idea of changing the actual picture of weapons (because all swords look alike) and then inserting them back into the game.

Similar as above could there be a editor to make your own icons from scratch.

Being able to change treasure chest items, story based awarded itmes and game awarded items- this will make organizing the item menu easy without worry what item will get put in treasure chests or other story based awarded items.

Changing enemy affinity would be nice.

Changing inherent abilities, adding inherent abilities.

I think most of these ideas have already been suggested, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

As for the class system, I hate it. There are just too many junk classes. It will be nice when the class system is demystified. Maybe if dijiin could be edited to not contribute to class decision by not adding to affinity.

Stat display max for attack is 999 , but the Attack of weapons can be set much higher. Does attack truly go higher or does the effect of attack stop at 999? Can other stats like HP be set to higher amounts as well as its displayed value?

Salanewt

This is something random that I thought of, but you remember that your editor allows the user to have any background of their choice because of the background folder? Well, what if there were a folder which could allow the user to add music, and listen to music while working with the editor? I know that music programs can just play any type of music that you have, but it is still an idea...

Actually, better yet, how about a music editor/player? It would be pretty neat to be able to play the audio from the game, and possibly if we could insert/fix audio without having to use Sappy.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

A way of changing animation graphics- like chaining two animations together making a new one. It would be nice to dissect animation more fully. Like I had an idea of changing the actual picture of weapons (because all swords look alike) and then inserting them back into the game.

Similar as above could there be a editor to make your own icons from scratch.

Being able to change treasure chest items, story based awarded itmes and game awarded items- this will make organizing the item menu easy without worry what item will get put in treasure chests or other story based awarded items.

Changing enemy affinity would be nice.

Changing inherent abilities, adding inherent abilities.
The editor is still a work in progress, that should all come eventually.

QuoteAs for the class system, I hate it. There are just too many junk classes. It will be nice when the class system is demystified. Maybe if dijiin could be edited to not contribute to class decision by not adding to affinity.
That would drastically change a core mechanic of the game, it's beyond the scope of what the editor is intended to do.  Besides, as it is Djinni are very nearly the only thing contributing to class decision, without them influencing it you would only have access to base, and item classes (not even their upgraded versions either)

QuoteStat display max for attack is 999 , but the Attack of weapons can be set much higher. Does attack truly go higher or does the effect of attack stop at 999? Can other stats like HP be set to higher amounts as well as its displayed value?
Mmm....  I believe the game does limit them to the highest it will display.  Changing that is something I'd like to look into making available down the road when higher priority tasks are completed.

QuoteThis is something random that I thought of, but you remember that your editor allows the user to have any background of their choice because of the background folder? Well, what if there were a folder which could allow the user to add music, and listen to music while working with the editor? I know that music programs can just play any type of music that you have, but it is still an idea...
That would just be creating more unnecessary work for me, is it really so hard just to open up your own audio playing program in the background?  At this point in it's development I think it's more important to focus on making the editor more capable at what it's supposed to be able to do than add bells and whistles to it.

QuoteActually, better yet, how about a music editor/player? It would be pretty neat to be able to play the audio from the game, and possibly if we could insert/fix audio without having to use Sappy.
It's on my list of things to do eventually.  Unfortunately due to how Game Maker works it seems it's going to pose quite a bit more of a challenge than it should.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

I agree, and understand. I just have one more suggestion...

Will it be possible to change the default names of a character by the time you are ready to produce the next version of the editor? For example, I can make it so a character would normally be named Mario, but so the game displays Mario instead of Felix, for when I want to edit his name.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Mion Sonozaki

What I have in mind for the editor:

1. Support for music editing. Although this is probably something that is more fit for a "v1.2" or "v2.0" version of the game since it isn't necessary. That said, it could still aid hackers greatly, and Sappy these days is impossible. Not only is the music editor version of it almost impossible to find, but for some people like me it always crashes when trying to open up a rom Q.Q
Anyways, what I specifically have in mind is porting the MML format into Golden Sun. That way we will be able to convert a midi into Golden Sun.

2. A script editor inspired by that of SMRPG's "Lazy Shell" editor. I cannot stress the importance of scripts, and this would be #1 if I wasn't such a music nerd. Remember: People will be making games with your editor!

3. An animation editor. Something like this is also important.

The latter 5 suggestions (Specifically fixes) I'm not sure how they work in golden sun, but assuming they don't:

1. Support for 8 characters to join your party one by one as opposed to 4 at a time. In other words, support for 5 or 7 party members instead of 8.

2. Disabling password screens and such.

3. New weapon classes. This is more of a question, but how exactly do weapons work? Do they work in categories classes? Or is compatibility with a character set by a flag on the characters themselves?
I kind of want to add in new weapons to the game. Speaking of which:

4. Re-positioning how a character holds a weapon in combat. I don't know if a weapon is layered onto a character's battle gfx or part of it though :|

5. Support to add in new elements and djinni types.

Now good luck with the editor ;o

Atrius (He/Him)

Since the editor is still in early stages of development Music, Script, and Animation editing will come with time.

Quote1. Support for 8 characters to join your party one by one as opposed to 4 at a time. In other words, support for 5 or 7 party members instead of 8.
I imagine that will have everything to do with script editing.

Quote2. Disabling password screens and such.
Ah... Good call, that actually hadn't crossed my mind before.  That's something I'll definitely have to look into eventually.

Quote3. New weapon classes. This is more of a question, but how exactly do weapons work? Do they work in categories classes? Or is compatibility with a character set by a flag on the characters themselves?
Weapon classes don't actually exist at all as such in the game's code.  Each item has it's own individual flags for which characters are able to equip it.

Quote4. Re-positioning how a character holds a weapon in combat. I don't know if a weapon is layered onto a character's battle gfx or part of it though :|
That may pose a challenge, though I can think of one way around it already, though it's probably not the best.  This is what the actual sprites for Isaac and his different weapons look like though:
[sprite=490,1,0]Isaac[/sprite][sprite=491,1,0]Long Sword[/sprite][sprite=492,1,0]Short Sword[/sprite][sprite=493,1,0]Axe[/sprite][sprite=494,1,0]Mace[/sprite]

Quote5. Support to add in new elements and djinni types.
Probably not going to happen...  It would require changing so much code in the game it would hardly be worth the effort.

Mion Sonozaki

Well, with weapons, couldn't it be possible to change a weapon's X, Y co ordinates?
To clarify:
Say for example I wanted to make a knife for Garet (Who has knives replaced by a broadsword when he becomes older)
I would reposition the co ordinates to fit a small knife GFX into his hand if that were a possibility in the editor.

Of course, since battles use a lot of scaling, I wouldn't know if that's possible.

Also, sorry for suggesting what I suggested about Djinni. Maybe that was a stupid idea of me?

Atrius (He/Him)

Oh, I though you meant changing their stance so they were holding it differently too.  The weapon sprites are the same size as the characters, it's just that most of the space in them is blank.  If you can fit in within the 64x64 sprite boundary for the character where you want it, it's fine.

QuoteAlso, sorry for suggesting what I suggested about Djinni. Maybe that was a stupid idea of me?
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, it's just that the way a lot of things are programmed in the game it only really allows for 4 elements.  You'd have to hack a lot of the game's code to add more.

Mion Sonozaki

Alrighty, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I'll suggest it:

The ability to add in and edit the graphics of tilesets

Again, another feature for later in the editor. I don't know whether or not Golden Sun's graphics are compressed or not, but being able to make your own tilesets will be useful.

Salanewt

I know that this would be a lot of work, and it would probably not be worth the effort either, but what if it were possible to add new items to the list of items availably in the game? It would probably be too much work anyway since there are plenty of unused item spaces, but it is a plausible suggestion.

Have a nice day.

DarkShuyin

A thing I always wanted to have (Besides having a playable Alex) is probably designing a new type of Djinn. I'm trying to create one now. but still no success...

Putting that on a side note:

I always loved the way those old strategy games for PC worked. having a Map/world editor in it. placing city's/trees/landscapes and such.

Atrius kind off pulled this off by placing Jupiter Lighthouse in a regular town, which was awesome to see.

Rolina

There is only support for four elements within the game.  A new type of djinn is impossible as a result.

Atrius (He/Him)

You want a world/map editor in-game?...  I don't see that happening.

Menaus

I see that happening via a memory viewer, like on VBA.
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

Rolina

You can't expect people to use such a thing as part of a gameplay mechanic.

Something like that requires an in-game mechanic to be built around it, such as the Georama feature in White Knight Chronicles, where you build up your hometown.  There is no such thing in golden sun, and I doubt that anything less than an epic feat of coding will be required to make one.

i_am_isaac

Is it possible to hack the game to make saturos joins your party?
Tsk... college life is nice...

Atrius (He/Him)

If you're just asking if it can be done, and not making a suggestion for the editor I'd like to point you to this topic.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Will there ever be a feature that allows you to change where and when the game's music plays? Nothing like the editor having its own sappy built in, but more like a music swapper.

An example of this would be the credits theme playing in Mars Lighthouse.