News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Suggestion for the Editor

Started by Menaus, 06, January, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

A map editor WILL happen, but it's not going to be in-game.  Furthermore, this is NOT the "Is it possible thread", Vladu, this is the suggestions thread.  If you have a suggestion for improvement or possible features, that's what you talk about here.  If you're just asking if something is possible, there's a different thread for that.

Rolina

Currently, there are 243 data slots available for classes it seems (my count may be off, though, 255 may be the actual amount) + the 0 slot class for NPC.  Yes, though NPC should never be used, it is important from a coding aspect - if you get it when testing, you did something wrong.

My question, though... will there be a way to extend this amount in a future version of the editor?  Or are we locked into two Hex Digits here?

Rolina

I think I figured out something about the classes - My guess is that they have a two digit hex value which is multiplied by ten.  So a value of 4D would give 770% percent to a stat.  Instead, can you add an optional patch that removes the 10x multiplier?  Those of us who actually care what we're doing would gladly prefer a wider variety of decent stat multipliers to choose from - after all, if you're using anything over 255% (FF), then you're CLEARLY not caring to add balance to your game.

The personal hacks I'm working on would easily benefit from such a thing, as it'd allow multiples of five in the class amounts, such as 125%.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'll look into it.  Obviously it's not going to make in time for v0.3, but that's definitely something I'd be interested in adding to code patches.  The trick will be catching all of the places in the code where that multiplier is applied if it happens in more than just one.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

I have a quick suggestion for the Class Editor, now that the new version is out. Could you please make the Party 2 box independent from the Auto box? I can not give Jenna the Water Seer class anymore. I have to activate the Auto box to be able to use the Party 2 box (as she automatically becomes the NPC class because of the patch), but doing that makes it so I can not use Jenna's value. There is also the fact that deactivating the Auto box will uncheck the Party 2 box, making it hard to give Jenna the whole Water Seer set (let alone the one Water Seer class, as I have to check and uncheck the same boxes every time that I save).

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Thelinil

^ Yeah I noticed that too, inconvenient, but seems way easier to code.

Atrius (He/Him)

The party 2 box has absolutely no effect whatsoever if you have the auto box unchecked, the only purpose those boxes serve is to automatically set the type value for you.  If you uncheck auto you have to set it manually, including for party 2 classes which simply add 20 to the type value.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Shinigami

I have a suggestion...

Could you please make the editor linux compatible?
It gets irritating when you have to run it through Wine and it takes around 3 seconds to type/delete one letter(im not overdoing it, Wine is slooooow)...not to mention how long it takes for it to read map files. :sad:
If you can...YAY!
If not...oh well. Ill get used to it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also now realized due to the programming language that that's probably impossible, nevermind...

I was rather ignorent back then huh...
So nanoka~

Rolina

Another suggestion.  While changing the requirements for a summon is nice and all, how about the HP percentile damage?  That's the main source of damage for summons anyways.

Atrius (He/Him)

That's not part of the ability for the summon, which is editable in the ability editor?

Aile~♥

No, it's not. The percentile damage of summons is not editable in the ability editor. As in, sure we can tell the game if something is a summon or not, but we can't edit percentile damage.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Atrius (He/Him)

I see, the 3% per Djinn used added to the summons base damage.  I'll have to look into it, but it's probably part of the damage formula, which would be coded in ASM.

Aile~♥

Except for the part where Cruel Ruin, Dragon Driver, Star Mine and Outer Space still have the percentile damage.

So I'm pretty sure it's not part of the damage formula.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Quick question, but would it be possible to switch a character's weapons to match the character animations? For example, I gave DK Piers' graphics. DK is in Felix's slot, but Felix' weapons show up instead of Piers' despite the switched graphics.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm looking at the data for assigning weapon sprites to characters in battle right now.  Looks like there can be a setting for an index where their weapon sprites start at in the sprite list, then, depending on the item they have equipped as a weapon, it can be any of 128 sprites starting from that index (or +63/-64 if it's handling it as signed data, I'll have to experiment).  This item based sprite offset is the same for all characters, and only depends on the weapon.  The only thing that can be set individually for each character is where their weapon sprites start at.

A quick search for anything concerning the percentile damage for summon type attacks has only revealed that it's going to be a pain in the butt to find... :Sweat:  I still wouldn't be surprised to find that it's coded into the damage formula with special instructions just for those attacks though.

Atrius (He/Him)

Bad news, Jamie & Role.  I've confirmed that the percentile damages are programmed into the damage algorithms.  What's more, from the looks of the code, even if you changed a "Summon" attack that has a percentile damage programmed for it into a "Base Damage" or "Base Damage (Diminishing)" type attack it will still have the percentile damage applied.

Hoopa

I don't know how complex it would be, but could you make it so that the editor doesn't automatically scroll back up to the top when you switch menus? Like how if you edit say an ability in the abilities menu and go edit a class, when you go back to the abilities menu it's back at the top.
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Atrius (He/Him)

Awec

Not sure if it's been asked before, but a copy-paste function would be helpful.
It gets a real drag when you have to enter the same data into five different classes.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Griever

It already has copy-paste feature ...
Just press ctrl+c and ctrl+v ... that works for me.