News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Suggestion for the Editor

Started by Menaus, 06, January, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luluthefirst

Could the editor have the ability to read sounds from the rom?

Rolina

Out of curiosity, can the editor be built with effects from both games in it?  For example, in the Mercury Lighthouse, there was that ability to take three steps on water.  If I were to want to program that into a TLA hack, it'd be cool to say, make that a field psynergy - perhaps called Halo or the like.  However, the problem is probably calling it into the code - the effect may not be in TLA, I dunno.

If it is in it, could it and other situational effects like it have some kind of way to tap into those effects?  If not, could there be a patch that allows for said effects?

Rolina

Call me crazy, but I think it's a good idea - a Template tool.

Basically, the editor will have a way to save templates for certain fields and ONLY certain fields.  Reorganized the classes into a generic fill-in format?  Save As → Template when the Classes editor is up.  It'll save a template that only changes the classes.  Changed the psynergy layout to be a bit more organized?  Save As → Template when Psynergy is up.

A new option will be available called "Load Template".  You'll select the proper template, and it'll overwrite only those fields the template affects.  This can make for easier editing, without someone needing to totally redo the whole thing because they didn't start with that handy dandy template that was uploaded.

This way, we can upload templates that can be put into our hacks whenever we need.  It'll be extremely helpful, IMO.

Also, it'd be nice to get some feedback on some of these suggestions...

Atrius (He/Him)

Basically just being able to export/import specific types of data then?  That's actually been on my to do list for a while now.

As far as the stepping on water in Mercury lighthouse effect goes, I have a feeling that's an ASM script attached to those tiles you have to jump onto to get the 3 rings above your head.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Aye, I want to make that castable as a field psy if possible.  I just don't know if there's a way to call it in TLA, since it never showed up in it.

Arch-Dullahan

If it is possible to put items into a list such as the mars star, jupiter star, ect. thingy that is used in shops or inventorys, it would be possible to make certain choices in the game correct? Like chose key A, B or C which then open different doors. So, if that is possible, is it possible to make a sprite other than a person a "shopkeeper" (I would think that this is possible as all you have to do is change the sprite that triggers the menu) ? If so, would you be able to make a "shop" that displys only one menu? Like walks up to stone table with three keys on it, interacts with it and only gets "buy" as an option rather than having artifacts and repair aswell?
Also. There are alot of *crashes game* animations that, surprisingly, crash the game. What is wrong with the data for those animations and would it be possible to be able to replace these animations with your own (at a later date)? Sice you have alwready said that all things that the editor displays will try to be made editable in the future, would it be able to make entirly new animations out of the crashing ones?

Awec

Quote from: Arch-Dullahan on 28, May, 2011, 01:36:04 PM
:?: Question: If it is possible to put items into a list such as the mars star, jupiter star, ect. thingy that is used in shops or inventorys, it would be possible to make certain choices in the game correct? Like chose key A, B or C which then open different doors. So, if that is possible, is it possible to make a sprite other than a person a "shopkeeper" (I would think that this is possible as all you have to do is change the sprite that triggers the menu) ? If so, would you be able to make a "shop" that displys only one menu? Like walks up to stone table with three keys on it, interacts with it and only gets "buy" as an option rather than having artifacts and repair aswell?
Also. There are alot of *crashes game* animations that, surprisingly, crash the game. What is wrong with the data for those animations and would it be possible to be able to replace these animations with your own (at a later date)? Sice you have alwready said that all things that the editor displays will try to be made editable in the future, would it be able to make entirly new animations out of the crashing ones?

I don't really understand what's going on with these animations, but they do work when you fiddle around with the value next to the animation drop-down box.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Atrius (He/Him)

*splits posts off, and merges them with a more appropriate topic*

The animations list is actually offset by 1, so some of those are labeled incorrectly.  Animations are ASM scripts, programming in native GBA code.  The ones that crash the game are empty slots so when the game tries to run them it ends up trying to execute code that doesn't exist, and inevitably crashes.

QuoteIf it is possible to put items into a list such as the mars star, jupiter star, ect. thingy that is used in shops or inventorys, it would be possible to make certain choices in the game correct? Like chose key A, B or C which then open different doors. So, if that is possible, is it possible to make a sprite other than a person a "shopkeeper" (I would think that this is possible as all you have to do is change the sprite that triggers the menu) ? If so, would you be able to make a "shop" that displys only one menu? Like walks up to stone table with three keys on it, interacts with it and only gets "buy" as an option rather than having artifacts and repair aswell?

Any sprite can be an NPC, and any NPC can be a shop keeper.  For what you're talking about you'd probably want to code a custom shop-like interface in ASM.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

CelestOrion

Since this is a suggestion thread, I might as well throw my questions/ideas here, since I'm not sure if they're implemented and that I can't find them, or if they're just simply not programmed yet.

Is it possible to edit the emoticons that appear over an NPC's head during the game? I was trying to edit scenes, and I couldn't manage to figure out how to change the emotes, or remove them.

Also, when trying to edit a character's base stats, it seems as if the changes never save, since I would go to the next character, but the previous one would simply jump back to their original stats.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Atrius (He/Him)

In the editor when you switch between characters their stats revert back to what they originally were?  In game their base stats are only loaded when you first create a new save game, so they won't update unless you actually start a new game.

Editing emoticons in cutscenes, it is possible, but there's no interface for editing cutscenes right now.  You would have to do it through the hex editor for the map's code.

dwkjohn

ok. i downloaded a gameboy app for my tablet but, i can't hack it on here. (unless you have an app for the editor?) it has a few bugs though. is there any way to permanantly increase the framerate for the game. i don't think there is. and is there a way to permanantly apply the new debug menu? so i can somewhat hack the game on my tablet? i put this in this topic because i was wondering if it could be done in the editor. its kinda a suggestion to add a way to permanantly apply cheats in the editor.
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

CelestOrion

Quote from: Atrius on 11, June, 2011, 04:56:22 PM
In the editor when you switch between characters their stats revert back to what they originally were?  In game their base stats are only loaded when you first create a new save game, so they won't update unless you actually start a new game.

Figured it out. I was simply moving the slider on the far right, which didn't change anything, really. When I manually added numbers into the level charts at the bottom, the changes remained, so I'm working via that method now. It's all good.

EDIT: I was curious about this. Is it possible to make the coin value of an item in negatives, where you would have to pay a shop to take it off of your hands? I made an item in the game that would fit this description, was just wondering if I can add that final touch to it.

Rolina

When you change their base stats, you're changing the stat targets - which really just means you're changing stat growths.  They won't show up unless either A: you level up enough to tell the difference, or B: start a new game.

@Item idea:  That... could be a great idea!  We could actually work that into stuff like smithing systems if that's possible!

Atrius (He/Him)

The format item prices are stored in does not allow them to be negative.  Converting it so it did would involve a considerable amount of ASM hacking, and halve the maximum value making it lower than the price for several existing items.

@dwkjohn, ...  I suppose that I could add a debug mode option to the code patches section of the editor.

dwkjohn

:happy: if its not too much trouble of course.
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Rolina

Ah, oh well.  Would have been interesting if we could have one-way "sales" that opened up new items in the shops.

Rolina

By the way, given the size of the screen and what not, can we have some kind of line letting us know when things would run on too much?  For example, when making spell names, if the name would run off the window past a certain number of pixels, there'd be a red line or something letting us know when that is.  Also for the descriptions, it'd show us when the text would run out of the box.

It'd be really helpful to have something like that, IMO.

Edit:  Another suggestion!  Can a future update allow us to drag-and-drop values into different places?  For example, I want to go in and rearrange my template right now, but I have to go in and manually edit all the values.  It'd be nice if I could just drag one into the place I want it to be.  If I had a list of:

Class 1
Class 2
Class 3
Class 4
Class 5

And wanted to move one, I could move Class 5 in between 2 and 3 to get this:

Class 1
Class 2
Class 5
Class 3
Class 4

And it'd go there.  This would be really helpful in organizing things.

leaf

Here's a fairly simple request:

Differentiate between stuff that's currently labeled the same. That would include the two unknown attack patterns and various secondary effects (for example, there are two entries each for "may cause double the damage," "may cause triple the damage," and "may inflict stun"). I'm not sure if there's actually a difference between these, but I'm gonna guess here that the second one has a higher rate than the first in each case.

Also, while I'm on the subject of the effect list, the break effect is currently listed as "Eleminate status boosts." It should be spelled "Eliminate." /nitpick
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Yes, we definitely need to differentiate between the unknown attack patterns. That way, if we knew which one which boss was using, we could design our own bosses using multiple movesets like that.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Mion Sonozaki

Could we possibly copy+paste classes or spells and their levels needed etc...?

One thing I've been hating so far in making the classes is having to continuously search for the same attack 5 times (Which takes awhile.) It would be nice if I could just copy+paste Growth from one class to another.

Also, is it just me computer, or is the map viewer INCREDIBLY slow!? Like, it's SUCH a drag just to move the screen down! Is it just my computer???