News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Suggestion for the Editor

Started by Menaus, 06, January, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkjohn

you just have a slow computer. it only takes a few seconds for me.
Just sayin'.  

,-~~-.___.            Golden Sun
  /   |  '         \   Hacking Community
(     )           0              |
   \_/-, ,------'              /
      ===                     //                   
      /    \-'~;    /~~~(O)
    /    __/~|__/         |   
=(  _____| (_________|
All your internet entertainment.

Rolina

Quote from: Lishy on 12, July, 2011, 01:03:27 PM
Could we possibly copy+paste classes or spells and their levels needed etc...?

One thing I've been hating so far in making the classes is having to continuously search for the same attack 5 times (Which takes awhile.) It would be nice if I could just copy+paste Growth from one class to another.
THIS.

GOOD GOD, THIS.  Oh, here's an idea, can you let me type it out in a field instead of search for it well?  That'd be much better.

Onikapitua

Quote from: Lishy on 12, July, 2011, 01:03:27 PM
Could we possibly copy+paste classes or spells and their levels needed etc...?

One thing I've been hating so far in making the classes is having to continuously search for the same attack 5 times (Which takes awhile.) It would be nice if I could just copy+paste Growth from one class to another.

Also, is it just me computer, or is the map viewer INCREDIBLY slow!? Like, it's SUCH a drag just to move the screen down! Is it just my computer???
I too support this notion/feature.

Salanewt

Sorry to throw another suggestion like this, but I have one that would be extremely useful to some of us. In the map viewer, would it be possible for NPCs to have the offsets to their scripts/events in the same window that you can edit things like text or current sprite? I have been trying to edit this one script for about a week, but the game keeps reading my branch code as if it were grabbing text from the database itself. The editor already does this for some NPCs, but the ones that have pre-programmed idle behaviour are difficult for me to find.

Thanks for reading my request.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Mion Sonozaki

One feature I would really love is the ability to edit chests. It is only a step closer to making hacks with completely new content! ;)

jmillart

Quote from: Menaus on 06, January, 2010, 12:39:27 AM
How about in the next version we have a feature to edit the names of the ability's, items, etc. It would really help me when I edit things like making the wheat sword. 

I think we should go beyond that. Make it so we can add new items by changing the limit number and then editing the blanks to whatever we want. It probably wouldn't take too much coding then we could use the same technique to add new creatures, battlers psynergy, ect.

Atrius (He/Him)

Why the hell is this a new topic?  Seriously, jmillart, seriously?

*Merges it with the topic it's actually a reply to*

For the love of god, please stop pushing this "Make it so we can add new slots" thing in EVERY SINGLE TOPIC that you make.  It's something I already plan to add to the editor eventually, but it's not as easy as you make it sound.  Data has to be shifted around to create room for those new slots, and all of the old pointers to that data need to be fixed to the new location.  The code has to be patched to support the new limit, IF EVEN POSSIBLE, which in some cases (New party members) it is not.  Just finding all of the pointers, and code references alone is a ton of work.  Do you have any idea how many functions there are in the game's code that reference items alone?  You can't just go in there and change one number and have it magically work.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

ThanatosTheDark

I don't know if this was asked yet, but how about making the unleashed animations easier to set.
An example: You can see the sprites for heartbreak(thanatos mace unleash) but you can't see the sprites of vorpal slash.
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

Rolina

You're talking about an animation editor, which is a planned feature.

Mion Sonozaki

I'm really excited for ANYTHING related to map editing!

Rolina

We're getting to the point that we're repeating suggestions...

Not only that, but that's two people who have suggested the addition of a feature that's already planned.  Rather than suggesting something we're definitely going to get, like an Animation editor or a Map editor, why not suggest features FOR said editors?  Things you'd like to be able to do with it, other than the obvious.

ThanatosTheDark

How about making it customizable like the menus in the game. Instead of that boring teal color, let's make it blue of green or red,ect.
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

leaf

How about we not ask for things that are completely pointless?
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Misery

May I suggest putting up a list somewhere with the additional features planned for the next version?
Another thing that should be listed is what type of changes/additions are not what the editor is supposed to do. Things like changing the game's core mechanics, adding new features with no semblance to anything present in the game, or things that are just completely unrelated. The latter wouldn't be an extensive list of course. I just think it would be good to have a clear explanation of the purpose of the editor posted for new users who seem to mistake it for a game making tool.

Rolina

QuoteAnother thing that should be listed is what type of changes/additions are not what the editor is supposed to do.

Let me see if I got this right... you want to suggest that the editor should do the things it's pretty much guaranteed not to do?  PLEASE tell me I misread that.

Mion Sonozaki

Not sure what kind of thread belongs in, but it would be nice to have the "Call" creatures index documented, and have the editor able to modify them. I.e. instead of Call Zombie, we can have Call Vermin.

Another is the "special" properties of certain bosses. I.e. Sentinel's immunities, and Poseidon's trident requirement. 

Misery

Quote from: Role on 27, August, 2011, 11:10:58 PM
QuoteAnother thing that should be listed is what type of changes/additions are not what the editor is supposed to do.
Let me see if I got this right... you want to suggest that the editor should do the things it's pretty much guaranteed not to do?  PLEASE tell me I misread that.
No, what I'm suggesting is we let people know what kind of features are not supposed to be in the editor, so they stop asking about it. Granted, someone will still do that anyway, but then you can at least redirect them and say "did you read THIS?". A definition of what the editor is meant for should be sufficient though. Emphasis on "should".

Quote from: Lishy on 27, August, 2011, 11:26:17 PM
Not sure what kind of thread belongs in, but it would be nice to have the "Call" creatures index documented, and have the editor able to modify them. I.e. instead of Call Zombie, we can have Call Vermin.

Another is the "special" properties of certain bosses. I.e. Sentinel's immunities, and Poseidon's trident requirement.  
For the call psynergies I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of finding out where the variable that defines which enemy index should be used is read from, and then it should be simple to implement. It does refer to enemies rather than sprites, so you can change the monster being called by changing the sprite used for that enemy index, but that's a pretty crude way of doing it and still limits the variety of monsters you can call. I was interested in this for a while, but now I know I'm not going to need it for a long time.

For the special properties, they are apparently tied to specific enemy indexes, so it might not be possible to have more than one enemy with each ability unless you rewrite the code for it completely. But what do I know.

Rolina

Okay, glad I misread that.  I thought I was gonna have to stab someone for a second.  We also have a post for things that require ASM editing already, which appears to be something Atrius is putting off as long as he possibly can.  I suppose someone could put together a post for that, but... well, it seems to be something that SHOULD be obvious, unlike the ASM thread...

Misery

Quote from: Role on 30, August, 2011, 11:07:14 AM
We also have a post for things that require ASM editing already, which appears to be something Atrius is putting off as long as he possibly can.
Such a thread would list *suggested* features that can be implemented by changing a part of the code, am I right? I sure hope you're not expecting anyone to think up every little tweak that could be made.

This would be handled in a similar manner, listing suggestions that have been rejected, and why they will not be included in the editor (or worse yet, are impossible to do within the limits of the game). Nothing is really obvious if you don't have a clue about how a game works, listing these things would probably reduce repeat questions. And I'm sure we all realize that fewer rage buttons pressed makes a friendlier forum.

Rolina

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1422.0

That's the ASM editor.  They're things necessary for a hack, but can't be done until Atrius finally starts cracking into ASM.