News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Suggestion for the Editor

Started by Menaus, 06, January, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menaus

How about in the next version we have a feature to edit the names of the ability's, items, etc. It would really help me when I edit things like making the wheat sword. 
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

Atrius (He/Him)

As I tell everyone that suggests that, because the text is compressed in the game there were several issues that had to be resolved before a text editor could  be implemented, however, all of those issues have been taken care of, and text editing is all ready for version 0.3 of the editor.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

That is fantastic.

I hope you have your work backed up. Just in case. Even the worst scenario can happen at the most unwanted time. But I doubt that would ever happen to you.

Anyway, how far does text limitations go?

Like... how many characters can fit in a box?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Sajin

I already asked about that charley. It seems that limit for psynergies/items/classes is 14. Don't know about actual dialogue limits though...

Atrius (He/Him)

I have no idea where people are getting that number from.  The limit for those is all high enough that you'd run out of room on screen for them before you'd hit it.

As for how much can be in a single string, that's 512 characters.  More than enough to fill the screen.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Sajin

Oh, I guess must of the people that hacked other games are used to having limited space. For example, in FF6 spells can only have 6 characters and on pokemon attacks have a limit of 12...
Anyway, I was sure that 14 was the limit somehow, thank you for  clearing that up Atrius.

Rolina

We use the number 14 because that's the standard set by the GS games.  At 15, it seems to have graphical errors.

Of course, I could be thinking of a DIFFERENT limit - my example is Thunderstorm needing to be changed to Thunderhead - which is LESS than 14.  Yeah, 14 was classes.  For now,we'll use 14 as a test number, but if it's too high, we'll lower it, possibly to 11.

Aile~♥

It depends on the letters. for example, l takes up less space than a. The amount of space a letter takes up is NOT uniform in GS's font.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

I have a quick question about text... After practicing in Mario and Luigi, we found that certain characters in the middle of the text will enable Text Box scrolling. I was wondering if you will have a legend or something to help us with any effects that we can have while editing the text? For example, to have bold or italicized text (or even coloured text)? I know that I should probably ask in a different topic, but this topic is easier for me to locate right now, and there are people talking about text.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Bold, italicized (Or rather, non-italicized), colored?  If you haven't seen it used in the actual game, chances are it's not implemented in the message box system.

Since those commands have been visible in the text viewer of the editor since version 0.1 as numbers in brackets (Example: "Ah, [17][6]...[3]You're awake.[2]") there is a topic where people were documenting those here, unfortunately it looks as though the first post in it didn't survive the move over to SMF, but I could quote it into my first post though if you want to revive the effort.

EDIT: False alarm, the first post just became the third >_<

MaxiPower

So what all text can be edited thus far, character names? Class names? iteam weapons etc... how about something as obscure as when entering town/etc when the name of it displays for a few secs upon entry

BTW that thread with the GS toolkit like commands, the {01} new line thing is so useful right now for me... yippeeee

Atrius (He/Him)

Anything you can see in the text viewer can be edited.  That includes everything you've listed.  Of course things like item/ability/enemy names and such will also be editable in their own section to make things easier.

Rolina

I know it has bolded and italicized text... and colored text.  AND shaky text.

I guess we've got to catalogue how to get each one to trigger...

Atrius (He/Him)

I think you're wrong about bold, and colored text, and well... The font for messages is itself italicized, I seriously doubt there's a command to make it not italic.

Rolina

Play the game again.  Bold and shaky happens alot.  Typically used when they're emphasizing something, I figure.  Non-italics can be found easy.  Go to Start Menu -> Update -> Password and BAM!  You'll see it.  Default seems to be italics, so perhaps it's not a tag for italics, but instead for non-italic font...

Actually, just go to start menu, or perhaps any menu for that matter.

If psy sealed, then when you look at the psynergy in battle, it's all PURPLE.  Yellow and Red are common for colored text (standby djinn/psynergy lost for red, recovery djinn/psynergy gained for yellow), also if you get a djinn, it's name is the color of the element in the text that pops up after it joins you.

Atrius (He/Him)

Ah, you have to look at it from a programmers perspective though.

Menu's and dialogue boxes are entirely different, they're programmed to use different fonts, there's no tag involved in the text.  Sealed Psynergy still uses the same text, so how could it be a tag in the text data?  Same goes for standby/recovery/e.t.c those are hard-coded color changes it has nothing to do with any tags stored with the text.  Although I suspect it's a similar situation, I may have to look into the names of Djinni being colored when you get them.

Shaky text is definitely a tag, I'm not disputing that.  Bold though... I don't recall any bolded text in the game off the top of my head.

Rolina

In that case, my statement about djinn joining you still stands.

jet3

I have a few ideas for the new editor.

Shop Editor- to edit the item types sold by shop owners.
Treasure Editor- to change the items received in treasure chests and pots/boxs.
Djinn Editor- to edit stat boost given by djinn, their unleash and Summon requirements.
Map Editor- I guess this one might be in the works..., but it might also be nice to change where enemies show up on the maps. So you can create addition enemy group types and know where they will show up.

Allow sprites to change colors that are only seen in Sprite viewer.
Allow change of the background image of the battles.
Allow change of images/sprites completely in some type of drawing mode. Color swaps for icons.
Allow change of speeds/framerate.
Allow change of  weapon image in battle.
Add additional info for Spell animation type, so you can tell what animation you'll get.
Add additional info for classes, so you can tell what class you'll get.

Also I don't know if anyone has noticed this but when you change the defense stat in enemy editor, change enemy to edit, then select the previous enemy, the defense stat resets to default. In other word it does not save defense stat edits. That could be fixed, or maybe my version of the editor is not working.

These are just some ideas to play with.

Atrius (He/Him)

The editor is still fairly early on in it's development, most of those will come in time.  In fact I'm working on the Djinni editor for v0.3 now.

QuoteAllow sprites to change colors that are only seen in Sprite viewer.
Not entirely sure what you mean by that.  If you're referring to the palette swap, that isn't something that's actually saved with the sprite, it's only a preview for special effects the game sometimes uses, or for enemies (Their palette swap data is saved individually with their sprite setting, and can already be changed).

QuoteAllow change of speeds/framerate.
I'm not sure what you'd expect there either, frame rate is pretty much regulated by the refresh rate of the GBA hardware.

QuoteAdd additional info for Spell animation type, so you can tell what animation you'll get.
Yes...  Ideally it would show a preview, but since the animations are coded in assembly that would be extremely difficult to manage.

QuoteAdd additional info for classes, so you can tell what class you'll get.
The class system is still a bit of a mystery.  I need to do more research on the unknown values there.

The defense stat problem was a glitch, it's been repaired for v0.3.

Rolina

Djinn and Summon editors will be in v0.3, according to Atrius, so you don't have to worry about those.  One of the biggest things we need, the text editor, will be there, too.

However, I do have a request...

Can we edit text for items, psynergy, enemies, etc in the actual item/psynergy/enemy etc editors?  Rather than having to hunt down the proper line in the text editor, it'd be nice if we could edit the text in the other editors and have it edit the corresponding spot in the text editor automatically as well.  Or are you already planning on doing that?