News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Does anyone know how Poseidon changes movesets?

Started by ReyJavikVI, 16, January, 2010, 07:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReyJavikVI

I found out that there's two Poseidons in the enemy list because of the different moves, but I couldn't figure out what determines what moveset he uses. At first I thought he changed movesets after his force field was broken, but that's not true. For example, this is what he did against me: Ocean Fist, Watery Grave, Attack, Watery Grave, Counter-Rush, then I used the Trident on him, then Attack, Typhoon Blow

As you can see, the Trident didn't do anything significant. Maybe he randomly chooses one moveset and then the other?

A search of the forums revealed that some enemies like Dullahan have special moves for this, but apparently not Poseidon.

Atrius (He/Him)

It has yet to be proven that those other enemies abilities are for switching move sets, I would bet they aren't.

I'm not sure that there even is a trigger that causes it.  It's not entirely unlikely that they just choose randomly.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Zach

Here's what I believe:

At the start of the battle, the game chooses one of the 2 sets to use. After the force field is broken, he can switch between the 2 sets, POSSIBLY. I came to this (half-baked <.<) conclusion from watching my old video of me fighting Poseidon in my hack and noticed that. Yeah I know, that's weak proof <.<. See for yourself:

Proof
-----
Golden Sun TLA: Versus The Mighty Poseidon
Golden Sun TLA Maniac Mode Patch: LA Fights Number 4

Poseidon Set 1
Aqua Breath, Hydro Slash, Djinnfest, Neptune, Drown, Ocean Fist, Counter-rush, Sargasso

Poseidon Set 2
Typhoon Blow, Watery Grave, Djinn Blast, Ocean Fist, Froth Spiral, Boreas, Megacool, Pure PLy

ReyJavikVI

Well, it doesn't work like that, since my Poseidon used both Ocean Fist and Watery Grave before using the Trident.

Zach

Hmm, well I guess he just has access to both then

EDIT: So what you're saying is that those 2 moves are divided into the 2 different sets

Atrius (He/Him)

I doubt that it has anything at all to do with his force field.

Actually I do have some clue about it.  It has to do with the second unlabeled value in the enemy editor.  Normally this value determines the rate at which an enemies various moves are used, but enemies can only have multiple move sets if this value is set to 3, and possibly 4.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

...Umm, I thought we already figured this out with Dullahan?  He does the same thing, due to the same value...

thenightsshadow

AFAIK, it's everything to do with the forcefield.

I forgot how I tested it, since I typically use the HP/PP Regen changes to tell which moveset the enemy uses.

Edit: Now I remember.  I switched up the turns between the two movesets.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Atrius (He/Him)

I can pretty much guarantee it's that second unlabeled value in the editor, and not the force field.

Rolina

That in conjunction with the Enemy AI value as well.