News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

What's your favorite RPG game\series?

Started by Tetsuya the Azure Blade, 14, February, 2010, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your favorite RPG game\series?

Chrono Trigger
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy
2 (13.3%)
Golden Sun
2 (13.3%)
Dungeons and Dragons
0 (0%)
Legend of Zelda
2 (13.3%)
Boktai\Lunar Knights
0 (0%)
Pokemon
0 (0%)
Dragon Quest\Dragon Quest Monsters
2 (13.3%)
Other
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Well I picked LoZ because I liked the music and SWORD BEAMS. Lazer firing swords FTW!

Salanewt

Golden Sun... Would have been my favourite, but they never even had a true cameo for any other Nintendo character, so I chose Zelda (also, all of the games up to but not including the Gamecube are extremely good (exception is Twilight Princess, that one is good enough too), and the newer ones (gamecube+) are mildly fun at times).

Have a nice day.

Wait a second though... Pretty much all of the RPG Mario games are extremely fun, like Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG, and the Mario and Luigi games.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

You fail for not including the tales of series in the poll.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Sorry about that, I couldn't include EVERY good RPG. I only included the ones that I can name off the top of my head. That's why there's an other option, For the RPG's that I forgot about.

Salanewt

Don't worry about it. Besides, it hardly looks like he voted for it anyway.

I am still sticking with Zelda though, but I would select almost every Mario RPG game to be tied at 2nd place.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Tales of Symphonia.

Mostly due to the tendencies for sections involving a Hurricane of Puns, Incredibly Lame Puns, and Genre Savvyness. Oh and Metal Gear references.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

leaf

Quote from: Salanewt on 14, February, 2010, 06:02:46 PM
Besides, it hardly looks like he voted for it anyway.
That's because I hadn't voted yet at all >_>
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

And I'm not joking about the Metal Gear references *coughcoughCOLETTEcoughcough*.

No, she isn't a Metal Gear reference herself, but she does make one.

Oh, and the scenes involving Raine's cooking are always funny.

I've heard of one where Kratos has to cast a healing spell on himself after he samples some of her food. Yes, that's right, KRATOS.

leaf

ToS is amazing. Unfortunately the sequel couldn't quite live up to it. =(
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Mion Sonozaki

Xenogears
I find this to be the greatest rpg ever, followed closely by Grandia.
The game's story deals with so many Philosophical issues, Psychological issues, Religious issues, and Political issues. It is an epic.
Not only that, but the game references numerous things. It discusses freudian ego, superego, and all such. And a lot of places and characters ingame reference things from the bible, pop culture, or actual history of the world. Such as Solaris being Nazi Germany, Fei and Elly being Adam and Eve, and the oh so popular Soylent Greens referenced to as... Soylent Greens themselves!
Yeah. The game flat out even uses the word "Soylent Greens" somewhere I remembered. It doesn't even change the name. Not only that, but you actually witness first hand humans getting cut up in a factory.. Ouch.. Good thing it's just sprites..

There's also the great gameplay. You don't use swords in this game until very late. In this game, you use your bare fists and martial arts combos!
It's a breath of fresh air from the overly simple sword using protagonist. And quite the contrary, Fei - Xenogears' protagonist, is actually one of the most deep and complex protagonists out there. A lot of people even lose track of the story the first time playing because of how complex it gets. Xenogears is definitely the most mature game out there, and the fact ignorant school teachers compare it to Call of Duty is quite disgusting considering they know nothing about it, and merely judge it because it has a lot of mechs and guns.

Oh yeah.. The mechs. Let me get to that.
If you combine dragon ball z with gundam wing, you get xenogears. Naturally, your characters get giant mechas they can fight in and customize. These mechas add a lot of depth to the gameplay when you take into consideration the mechanics behind Maria's spells in the game, or the ether attcks used by your mechas.

Did I mention Xenogears is flawed, yet it still has a lot of high ranks on people's lists of best rpgs?
Disc 2 doesn't have you go to the overworld until before the last dungeon. And most of the events that happen are all told through storyboard-like scenarios. This was actually due to budget and time problems because Xenogears was actually that huge of a game!
Hell, my gameplay hours are over 100!

Did I mention the soundtrack is legendary? I did, right?

In conclusion, Xenogears is freaking amazing. And in comparison to Final Fantasy 7, where Sephiroph became a demigod, you, the protagonist in Xenogears, eat gods for lunch. That's how baddass Fei is. His actual character is capable, and does in fact eat gods for lunch.
This game is controversial, and I love it.

Salanewt

Interesting. Seems a bit too fory for me though...

QuoteNot only that, but you actually witness first hand humans getting cut up in a factory..

Oh yeah, for those who have not voted yet, are they allowed to vote "Other", and select a hack of an RPG?

Have a nice day.

Tetsuya the Azure Blade

Of course they can, Salanewt! Hacks and fangames DO count.

Aile~♥

@Leaf: I dunno, I quite like the second ToS. Mainly Tenebrae. He's like a never-ending fountain of puns!

Emil: *sigh*
Marta: *sigh*
Genis: *sigh*
Raine: *sigh*
Tenebrae: That's too small for me I'm afriad.
Everyone else: ???
Tenebrae: A "sighs four" that is.
Genis: Raine!
Raine: Ready when you are, Genis!
Genis/Raine: Prismic Stars!
Tenebrae: X_X

Sajin

Even though I have a lot of "favourite" rpg series (golden sun, final fantasy,atelier iris, breath of fire, swordcraft story, etc), I'll choose the Final Fantasy series...

Drick

It's gonna have to be the Mario & Luigi games for me. Golden Sun for second.

Final Fantasy is good, but I could never get into the grinding...

Aile~♥

Yeah, me neither. Way too much level grinding in FF. I'd know, I tried to play the second one, and it practically forces you to stay in the first two towns until you're level 99-ish. I mean, you walk out of that area, and there are suddenly enemies that always move first, kill your party members in two attacks, and they come in big enough groups that your party dies in the first or second turn. You don't even have a chance.

Hoopa

...I thought FF2 didn't have leveling. Anyway, I rather enjoy level grinding, so my favorite rpgs would be Dragon quest and Final Fantasy. 
"You seek the truth but are you able to handle it? What you find may not be what you expected... and it may ruin you in the end. Knowing that, will you continue onwards in your journey? Or will you give up and return to a life of apathy? The choice is yours..."

Aile~♥

It doesn't you're right, "technically", but your stats do grow over battle experience. You just don't learn new skills that way.

So if it DID have leveling, you'd have to be level 99...

I hate level grinding, it generally becomes very tedious very quickly in most RPGs. The general exception being Mario RPGs of course, but those decrease EXP gain the more overleveled you are...

Salanewt

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 27, February, 2010, 11:48:51 PM
I hate level grinding, it generally becomes very tedious very quickly in most RPGs. The general exception being Mario RPGs of course, but those decrease EXP gain the more overleveled you are...

Except for the Mario & Luigi games. They always give you the same amount (though you could technically beat the final boss at level 1, if it were not for every preceding boss/required enemy). Anyway, all Mario RPGs are tied at 2nd place, while Golden Sun and Zelda series are all tied at third... I don't know what is first anymore. I could move Bowser's Inside Story up to first place, because of the final boss music. On the other hand, Superstar Saga is neat at times too. I suppose it will be my hack, which I still have to make.

Have a nice day.

Rolina

Quote from: MegaDarkNero on 14, February, 2010, 01:41:07 PM
Well I picked LoZ because I liked the music and SWORD BEAMS. Lazer firing swords FTW!
...Zelda is NOT an RPG, it's more of an action game.  It really doesn't even qualify as an Action RPG by today's standards, although it probably did more to inspire the genre than any other game.