News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

A present for Sala

Started by Rolina, 19, February, 2010, 04:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leaf

We could always pull a zelda and make it so you find a new item in each dungeon that you need for that dungeon. It's not that much different from how the paper mario games did it, except there instead of an item you got a new character.

@Atrius: Nice. We should prob do a remixed song, though. I think I have a new project! (Which isn't a good thing... I have too many projects, already.)
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

We could do a similar thing.

Maybe use Shine Sprites or something similar as a sort of "currency" for buying utility psys or battle psys for partners perhaps, then where you go at what time depends on how many Shine Sprites you can find, and they should also be story/treasure based, meaning you can't just grind Shine Sprites and then go straight to the ending area of the game.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Good news, Peach is done! Of course, I do plan on making minor graphical updates to it, similar to how I worked on Yoshi like this. Also, would this portrait be suitable for this hack (or any Mario-based Golden Sun hack)?

Now, who of the main Mario 5 do I do next, Mario, Luigi, or Bowser? I would work on other portraits, like for Toad, but I figure that I should get most of the protagonists/antagonists done first, then go on to creating anything else (like NPCs, shopkeepers, etc.).

Have a nice day.

P.S. I seem to be a fan of blue backgrounds... If I do go with Bowser, he might have a red or yellow background (most likely red). Anyway, I can not tell if Peach will remain my second favourite of the portraits (depending on which other characters I make).

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to post about that idea of yours Jamie. I myself like it, but it should not work like that for every location, and we should also use Stars (since they are more common than Shines). However, we could still use Shine Sprites and someone who gives enormous stat boosts depending on how many you have (for example, 10 Shine Sprites gives a boost of 40 in any stat for one character). What Stars could do though, is either unlock minor areas/optional dungeons, or there can be "Star Doors" in several locations. Each door could require a different amount of Stars to open.

Now, how does everyone feel about those ideas?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

My idea was that the partners would have a lot of possible psys that stay with them no matter their class. Then you'd have someone (probably a distant relative of Merlin) who would give them new Psys when you pay them Shines.

Stars could work for opening doors, but Shines should be used for when you need a new ability. Or maybe Stars are used to purchase new abilities for Mario and Luigi, while Shines are used to purchase partner abilities. Thus, you can use Shines/Stars to get the next ability in a character's moveset. So basically, however they do the thing in GS for the Elemental Rocks, we'd be using that a LOT more often.

Salanewt

Seems interesting enough. If it were to be done, then Shine Sprites should just work for any character (since I am not sure if this hack will consider the other characters as "partners").

Also, for Yoshis for transportation...

Green: Can walk on open terrain and forest (not desert, which we could try to give a script similar to forested areas).
Blue: Can walk on open terrain, but can also swim in water (not on desert either).
Red: Can walk on open terrain and desert/sand, but can not go through forests.

Winged Yoshi: Acts just like the Lemurian Ship from Golden Sun, except it can also go through forest.

So, does anybody like my ideas for Yoshis as transportation (keeping in mind that items like Yoshi Cookies could probably be implemented as well). Also, Role, how do you like all of these ideas, since you are the one who came up with the idea for the hack?

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

leaf

As long as it's only in-battle effects that the shines grant I like that idea. There could be like 16 shines in the game, and each character gets four powerups (or if we're going with a two-party idea, then there would be 32 shines).

Anything that's needed for solving puzzles should be obtained through an event, though. And it seems kinda weird to have both stars (as in the traditional power stars from SM64) and shines in the same game.

As for using yoshi as transport... you've gotta remember that you're trying to stick four (possibly eight) characters on a single yoshi... that poor yoshi's back. Not to mention how messy it would be with the different colors and having to backtrack to get the right yoshi for a certain area or how difficult it would make it to incorporate yoshi into the party as a fighter (if we decided we wanted to do that).
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aile~♥

Well, another idea though:

Stars grant puzzle-related abilities, simply to encourage exploration. We may not want to make these necessary to advance the storyline, but we could use them for side quests.

Shines grant battle-related skills. In fact, we could make it so the more you upgrade, the more shines it takes to upgrade again, which would result in like a total of 60 Shines if there are 4 upgrades. Or if we're going to use both parties, we'd probably just use your system, meaning 32 Shines for four upgrades.

I do see your point though, but why not have both? It just lets you do two things at once, especially when you have an obvious Star in a room and a very difficult-to-find Shine in the same area.

Salanewt

That is true. They are both in the Mario Universe though, so it could be neat to see them side by side in the same game. They are two different things though. Generally, in newer Mario games (excluding Mario Bros. related games, and not often in RPGs), stars unlock areas, and out of most of the games with Shine Sprites (like three games with them?), they are used for stats (Super Mario Sunshine uses them as a replacement for Stars, but that is pretty much the only time). If Stars and Shines are used, they should both do different things to contrast them.

Speaking of Super Mario 64, some other minor ideas... The Caps! Remember them? Well, I have some ideas for them, but they will not work in battle.

Invisible Cap: Acts like the counterpart to Cloak, except that it also works in the light. However, all it really does is to allow one to walk through certain types of walls/floors/areas on a map.

Metal Cap: Perhaps it could allow one to go underwater, or sink through sand to go to a different part of a dungeon?

Wing Cap: No idea for this, but it could serve as a teleport?

I have more ideas, and will continue to post them in the future.

Have a nice day.

Aile~♥

They would be headgear. Metal Cap increases Defence greatly at the expense of speed and Jump Power, but increases Shock Power.

Invisible Cap greatly increases resist to all types, but lowers your Attack to 0.

Wing Cap increases Jump Power greatly at the expense of Shock and Ice Resist.

Salanewt

Seems interesting. Of course, we need to wait until we know more about how the battle mechanics will be handled with the new elements (surely, Ice should not beat Fire as Mercury beat Mars).

Also, a slight update to the Peach of my eye...

Of course, Yoshi is still the apple of my eye!

Have a nice day.

leaf

Oh, I forgot to comment earlier... She looks... sorta surprised in that portrait.

As for the caps, I think they could go either way for equip items vs puzzle items. Regardless of what we do with them, there should be some sort of teleport in the game, preferably done via some buyable item early on and through an ability later. If the wing cap gave the teleport ability, then some sort of feather could be the buyable teleport item.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Salanewt

That seems like a good idea. Unfortunately, there are some things that I forget from the Mario games in regards of teleports, so I will do a bit more research. I do have a Paper Mario (N64) website that I could reference whenever I need to though. In case we can get minor ideas from it, I shall post a link here...

Edit: Perhaps it would be best for one to research a database on their own, in case they get a more reliable one? If others want me to post the link again, I can easily do so.

I would like to suggest Warp Pipes as an alternate mode of transportation, but only make a limited number of them (maybe like 9-10 of them?).

Also, she does look a bit surprised, doesn't she? Well, better than the boring face from Super Princess Peach (and also better than Mood Swinging Peach as well). I decided to work on Bowser now, but it is not the best portrait... Remember when Bowser would look at the screen while holding the Star Rod in the first Paper Mario? He has his mouth open, and he looks happy? That is what I am using as a base (just copied it, so it will take a while, might not be done until tomorrow).

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

Less mouth, and more blue in the eyes among other minor things.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Okay, thanks Atrius.

Upgraded Peach:

Bowser:

I decided that for Bowser, he should appear more menacing (almost like the first games with Bowser), yet look like the newer Bowser. I used as a base an image from Bowser's Inside Story, and it actually turned out well, in my opinion. I hope everyone else likes it (since these are for free use in this hack, and also my hack that I started a while ago, but never finished (and permission can be granted to others, if it is so desired))!

Next: Mario, Luigi, or Toad?

Have a nice day.

Edit: Toad! He is not done yet, but I have his basic shape done, as well as most of the palette/shading work. I know that I need to fix his outlines in some areas, as well as try to correct those eyes of his, but this will work for now... Right?

Edit 2: Changed background, more work to be done... Later (I have to go now).

Edit 3: This is my last post in this topic for putting portraits for the hack, since I shall create a new topic for more images.

Aile~♥

Peach is OK, Bowser is awesome but completely the wrong style for GS.

And Toad has a cool face XD. Still needs edits though.

Are you going to make one for Toadette?

Rolina

Hmm... Here's an idea I just thought of.  How about if we approach it like in Yoshi's Island?  So you get the original Yoshi, then eventually you'll find a powerup that'll last a certain part of the game, than you'll have the option of another one for a while, and eventually he'll turn into Star Yoshi, with full on teleporation powers.

Caps are good, but for armor.  They're equippable by Mario and Luigi.

Aile~♥

Yeah, I suppose that works.

And I just realized why I like that Toad pic: he has the same expression as that one bit of art for Ivan! you know, this one?

Salanewt

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 21, February, 2010, 12:47:23 PM
Peach is OK, Bowser is awesome but completely the wrong style for GS.
And Toad has a cool face XD. Still needs edits though.
Are you going to make one for Toadette?

Yeah. However, I decided to only have similarities to some parts of Golden Sun style. I will switch between them for some characters (like I did for Yoshi), but some characters like Bowser have difficult faces to match Golden Sun with, so I decided to go with an altered version). Thanks for Bowser's compliment! I know that there is room for improvement for Peach, I am just not sure where to improve right now.

Toad is not quite done yet, but thanks!. There might be one for Toadette, but I would rather get some other characters out of the way first.

Yoshi's Island? That seems like a good idea. That way, we only really need one Yoshi... Which reminds me. What are your thoughts of having a small Yoshi's Island like area, which can be the combined land mass of Apoji Isles and the area near Chile/Ankohl Ruins? One destination could be Yoshi Village, and the others (if there are any more) are undecided? There should definitely be a dungeon there, even if it is optional.

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

You're last portrait of Peach has 21 colors, although I'd taken it down to 15 in my version. Bowser has 27, and Toad has 20.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

They do? Oops, I will have to double check, since I even drew boxes with their palettes in them. Well, I assure you that extra colours are an accident, and are suppose to best match other near matching colours (they are supposed to be the same colour, but it can be hard to tell the difference with the naked eye). In fact, I only count 15 colours in Peach. If I do start a new topic for these Nintendo portraits, I will definitely make the colours match perfectly.

Of course, if you could suggest a different image host (and one that does not convert to .jpeg), then I will try that host.

Now, which portrait should be next?

Oh yes, how about we bring a newer version of Monstro Town into this hack? Just a suggestion.

Have a nice day.