Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 17, 2018, 01:15:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salanewt's Sprites and Graphics® (You can join in too)  (Read 18177 times)
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »

DK would make a horrible villain.  Remember, it's CRANKY KONG that was Mario's original opponent, in the original DK game.  DK himself?  He's from DK Jr.  In the DKC games he's all grown up.  Now, if you remember the plot behind the recent Mario and DK games, he's not as bad an enemy as Bowser.  Bowser kidnaps royalty.  DK wanted TOYS.  DK is a cameo at best, I figure.  Same as how Link, Samus, and the F-Zero racers were done in SMRPG.

I think Mario looks fine.  The nose part is great, IMO.  I guess we'll have Mallow, Geno, Daisy, Rosalina, etc... after this.  Oh!  But the Koopalings first!  Totally!

That is true about Donkey Kong (and Cranky Kong). Luckily, the newer version of his portrait makes him look a little less evil than before. As for Mario's Nose... Thanks! I did modify it slightly though, but just so it looks like it is attached to the centre of his face. Mallow is next, but there will be a few characters before Geno (not too many though). I can give the Koopalings a shot, and Superstar Saga can give me the best face angles (well, probably). Also, I will be designing several other portraits, including Link and stuff (which does not have to be used). Non-Mario related characters will probably come later.

Oh yeah, Mallow is almost done, but he is not quite the same style as the rest of the characters (looks more like Golden Sun + DK). This is because I was dithering some of the pixels to make his body look more like a cloud, and also with the shades I am using.

Have a nice day.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
leaf
Potions class is starting
Venus Clan

Death Eater+Grass Snake = Snake Eater? SNAAAAAAAKE

Veteran Member

Coins: 10

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:36 AM »

Mario... not only does his nose look like a peanut, but he looks like a mobster. I would just completely redo that portion of his face...

Mallow looks good, but doesn't really match the style of the others. I think part of it has to do with his size relative to the portrait.

Luigi looks amazing.

DK looks great except for that strip of yellow on him... it just looks like it could do with some better shading there. I know you have a color limit, so it might be difficult, but that's the only part of the image that's really sticking out right now as a sore spot.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:47:17 AM by leafgreen386 » Logged

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:45 AM »

Mario... not only does his nose look like a peanut, but he looks like a mobster. I would just completely redo that portion of his face...

Just noticed it, thanks. I will try to fix it for when I upload Robo-Piers.

Mallow looks good, but doesn't really match the style of the others. I think part of it has to do with his size relative to the portrait.

I agree, but I find him difficult to do without making him look like a blob of butter, since he actually looks like a cloud. I can try again though, possible with darker outlining and less dithering.

Luigi looks amazing.

Thanks!

DK looks great except for that strip of yellow on him... it just looks like it could do with some better shading there. I know you have a color limit, so it might be difficult, but that's the only part of the image that's really sticking out right now as a sore spot.

I just noticed that too, thanks. I shall try to fix him as well, since I can easily do so (by adding a little bit more shading).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
leaf
Venus Clan

Veteran Member

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 03:16:29 AM »

Well now that the nose is fixed, mario's eyes make him look like he's in some sort of trance lol

On DK... I think what's really bothering me is that the yellow sorta just forms a crescent blob on his face. It looks great from a distance, but if you look at it up close, it looks sorta awkward, since there isn't enough detail in that portion. Even if it's at the expense of one of the colors in his fur, I think it'd help if there was a second color in there to help ease that part in.

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 03:49:10 AM »

The thing with DK's palette is that he only has 3 hair colours (the fourth is exclusive for his tie). Removing one of them would not work well... What I could try to do is make that section above his eyes slightly thinner, and avoid using the lighter shades. In fact, I think I will do this once I am done with Larry Koopa (I have started working on them already, though I might take a break between two or three Koopalings at a time to make a different character).

Have a nice day.

View Profile WWW
leaf
Venus Clan

Veteran Member

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 03:54:35 AM »

It's not the eyes that are the problem, though. It's the nose. The eyes look fine.

Spoiler for quotes:
---
---
---
---
---
---
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 04:03:21 AM »

Oh, oops. I thought you meant the eyes before, so... Yeah, I can very easily shade in his face more using the colours that I have (6 shades, two of them are only for extra shading, like near his mouth, or on the tiny bit of his chest that is visible).

As for portraits... Larry Koopa is next. This will probably be followed by Morton and Wendy, but then I will take a break from Koopalings (some will have wands, others will not, depending on the widths of their heads).

Have a nice day.

View Profile WWW
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 04:13:38 AM »

The only thing I see wrong with the DK portrait is color selection.  Make the yellow something like R=248, G=208, B=128 and it'll be fine.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:42 AM »

That is just about what I have now, according to the programs that I am using and I am still not sure which other colour to use. Don't worry though, I just fixed it by reducing the amount of that shade and also by using just a tiny bit of dithering. I will upload it with the three Koopalings... Which I might not finish until later tomorrow or early Thursday (if then, it will be uploaded later).

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:46:25 AM by Salanewt » Logged

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 05:53:58 AM »

WHOA, Mallow stands way the heck out.  Like, way different art style compared to the others.  May wanna work on that a bit.

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »

I noticed. Well, I did fix DK's yellow crescent on his face, as well as make Mallow a tiny bit more like the others, but my computer restarted when I was sleeping. Luckily, I saved after I fixed Mario, so I still have all of them (though I lost what I started of Larry Koopa). The problem with him (and DK slightly) is that I started with 3D bases. Reducing them does make them closer to 2D, but Mallow's base looked sort of like what it does now, but with more colours. Anyway, I just re-fixed DK, and will do some touch-ups on Mallow before I have to go.

Have a nice day.

Edit: I have decided to add portraits to this post until I have about five in here. The reason for this is because I am having strange screen twitching problems in the first post. Anyway, I will continue with some Mario portraits once I am done Lishy's portraits. Speaking of which...

Shion:
Kagra:
DK:
Mallow:

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:14:10 PM by Salanewt » Logged

View Profile WWW
leaf
Venus Clan

Veteran Member

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »

Wow. DK looks way better now. His mouth and to an extent his eyes still look a little strange when you look at him closely, though. But especially the mouth. It looks like someone just spread jelly over his face... or something like that. I think it's just the size of the smile, although maybe dk always had a freakishly large mouth. >_>

And I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about both dk's and yoshi's portraits that just seem a little bit off in regard to their eyes, and I'm having trouble placing my finger on exactly what it is (and I think it's a different problem on each of them at that). I'm guessing eyes are something pretty hard to do to make look natural, since even nintendo's artists have screwed them up in recent times (in BII, mario pretty much always looked mad instead of being more expression-neutral like he should've been).

Spoiler for quotes:
---
---
---
---
---
---
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »

Thanks! Yeah, he normally does have a big mouth like that, and the shades which I selected do almost look like some sort of Raspberry Jelly or something, but I think they are fine (since there was not much else available that was appropriate). As for that yellow blob... I reduced its size a tiny bit, but I thought that changing the background to yellow would make the colours that looked yellow blend in better with his other shades. Unfortunately, that is also what more heavily defined the Raspberry Jelly, which I barely changed from the last portrait.

I agree that there is something a little different with DK's eyes, though they are fine. As for Yoshi, I only copied and modified an image when was by Nintendo, on a picture of "Yossy Island", the direct translation of the Japanese Yoshi's Island. I actually kind of like how Yoshi's eyes are like that, but I can see what you mean by how they look a bit stranger compared to today's standards (though they are actually closer to today's standards than the original base image).

Eyes tend to be quite difficult, and I honestly think that Kagra's eyes are a bit messed up as well. In fact, it was on Peach, Toad, Mario, and Lishy's two portraits that I had the most difficulty with eyes. Yoshi's are mostly easy to do, Bowser and DK's are in eye sockets instead of on the face, and Luigi was actually quite simple for some reason. Mallow only really has those black/dark grey blobs with the white lightsource reflections, so he was easy too. Shion is mostly using Mia's eyes, and I still have yet to find an alternative for Kagra... Toad was difficult because of how small they are, but his eyes have to match up with his mouth to give him a slight smile and to make him look friendly.

Have a nice day.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »

Mallow's much better, though he still seems a little too 3-Dish compared to the others.  Then again, it's not like we've got 2D art of the guy to go off of, right?  I guess that's the best you can get with him... much better than the first one, that's for sure.

Hey, think you can do portraits for Aiden and Kari?  If you can do those... then I figure you'd be able to do any of the pics that we get for the Community Hack project.  It'd be nice to have portraits to go along with the names when we go into the polls...

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »

Aiden and Kari? Sure, I can give it a go. There is still one more portrait that I should do for Lishy (forget who, but I have the name recorded). After that, I can make those characters.

About Mallow, thanks! Yeah, that is almost the most that I can do with him. I decided that the first background did not work very well, so I chose the second one (as well as changing a few pixels). The 3D-ish look is hard to get rid of without making him look like a sphere, since he is more like a cloud.

On a side note, I did finally notice a better shade for DK, so he does not exactly have Raspberry Jelly anymore... Now he has Marmalade.

DK:

Have a nice day.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 08:44:56 PM
Fox: I must say... life can be complicated..... when you have question(s) (via email) ... and it seems like they sort of get ignored. :D ; Fun, (And sometimes, a person may respond, and completely not answer the question.... so like... 3-person conversation.) Hahahaha!!
January 15, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
January 15, 2018, 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
January 15, 2018, 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
January 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Fox: 0200274C = Hmm... Stuff happens here when you use Cyclone around bushes. (These cause tile replacements, and setting event 0 to those tiles.) - And I guess this kept here so it can be scanned after battle. (To re-update the map.) So here is my fun thought (assuming if it is even possible, or even convenient if so.) ... Are there any events from other maps that could be disabled do to using Cyclone on bushes + Retreat glitch? I'll need to do some testing to make sure this isn't an oversight on my

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise